+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oh noes: UK allows cellphones on planes

http://mobile.slashdot.org/article.pl?s ... 5&from=rss

It has begun.

I really wouldn't mind the use of cellular devices if it was limited to data/text applications, but I REALLY wouldn't want to be stuck in a confined space listening to 200 people's phone conversations.

I would join in the conversation just to annoy the hell out of them to get off of the phone.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Re: Oh noes: UK allows cellphones on planes

As I recall, cell phones were originally prohibited because they could interfere with the electronic devices on the airplane. It was never due to noise considerations for the passengers. Advances in airplane technology specifically the copper mesh encasing that all the wires are in now eliminates any risk of cell phone signals interfering with equipment. I recall a Mythbusters episode where they tested this on numerous airplanes (although the FAA prohibited them from testing it in the air) and the only time they read anything was on a stripped down cockpit from a old-ass plane with nothing protecting the wiring.

Regardless this doesn't bother me and I'm sure businesses in the US will pressure US airlines because it allows them to get more work done during those flights. I wouldn't be surprised to see this in the states in the near future.

As for the noise issue, I don't get it. The noise from the engine drowns out any conversation. I used to travel on trains (which have a lot less natural background noise than a airplane does) a lot with people chatting on cellphones all the time and it never bothered me. I don't see an airplane being any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius
    As for the noise issue, I don't get it. The noise from the engine drowns out any conversation. I used to travel on trains (which have a lot less natural background noise than a airplane does) a lot with people chatting on cellphones all the time and it never bothered me. I don't see an airplane being any worse.
    Have you ever been a party or in a room with a bunch of people where various conversations are occurring? People tend to talk louder when there is a bunch of noise being generated. It will be ridiculous, and the engine will not drown out a bunch of assholes saying "HEY! CAN YOU HEAR ME?!"

I'm sorry, but I don't want to hear people's fucking phone conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by Norelco
    Have you ever been a party or in a room with a bunch of people where various conversations are occurring? People tend to talk louder when there is a bunch of noise being generated. It will be ridiculous, and the engine will not drown out a bunch of assholes saying "HEY! CAN YOU HEAR ME?!"

earplugs, head phones, don't fly in europe.

Demosthenes11

sure you can't hear the people 2+ rows away...but right next to you? fuck that, would be gay as hell to sit next to somebody talking the whole flight

Yeah I don't care to hear what a person is going to have for supper or that their neighbors dog took a shit in their yard this morning. I swear some people turn retarded when they put a cellphone up to their ear.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

If you fly even somewhat, you should invest in a quality pair of noise canceling headphones anyways. They do wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Remyo
    earplugs, head phones, don't fly in europe.
    No thanks. Like second-hand smoke, I have a right to a noise-pollution free flight. This is why I advocate the banning of babies on planes, or at the very least they should have a designated flight once a day specifically for families with screaming kids. Anyone without children who is willing to put up with this bullshit on one of these flights gets a massive discount.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Norelco

Have one yourself.

Noise isn't gonna kill you. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    qft, stop whining.

Quote Originally Posted by Remyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    qft, stop whining.
    I don't consider it whining. I think it's a valid complaint.

Not everyone is a fucking bobble-head that just chats away all day. NOM NOM NOM.

Old Merits
    BG Level

You people act as if everyone on a plane will now be on the phone the entirety of the flight merely because they are allowed to. You forget, in general, people only make calls when they have to. And more importantly, most people are adverse to causing discomfort to others (most people will likely recognize that their calls affect others comfort and will alter their call lengths and voice levels accordingly). Most likely a large portion of the calls made on the plane will be less than five minutes long, although I can see certain types of people (business people on conference calls, inconsiderate teenagers, etc.) that would abuse the phone privilege. Ultimately I think it won't be too much of a big deal; if someone is ever really annoying you to the point where it is unbearable then I'm sure you aren't the only one who is affected by that person and the flight crew will ask that person to bring the noise level down or end the conversation.

The real advancement we need in commercial flights is in-air wireless broadband internet, which a few companies (JetBlue being the pioneer) will be offering in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Keno
    You forget, in general, people only make calls when they have to. And more importantly, most people are adverse to causing discomfort to others (most people will likely recognize that their calls affect others comfort and will alter their call lengths and voice levels accordingly).
    Oh if only I had kept count of the "So what do you want to talk about?" cell phone calls I have had to listen to.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnykillah
    You forget, in general, people only make calls when they have to. And more importantly, most people are adverse to causing discomfort to others (most people will likely recognize that their calls affect others comfort and will alter their call lengths and voice levels accordingly).
    Oh if only I had kept count of the "So what do you want to talk about?" cell phone calls I have had to listen to.
    Probably was a guy asking his girl what her deal is, if something is wrong, and she goes "nothing", and after a while of coaxing, she finally lets on that something is bothering her.

Then.. "(sigh) So what do you want to talk about?"

I fucking hate people that abuse the shit out of cellphones, just fucking talk to the person when you get there, you wont miss anything. I see too many people my age just playing with the things like they're a teens motherfucking pacifier, and I don't think I'll ever get a cellphone until work requires me to.

Xavier

I don't have a problem with people talking. I have a problem with people thinking they have to fucking yell to have a conversation on a cell-phone.

Do not want.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

A laptop playing Morbid Angel, Pig, Dream Theatre, Skinny Puppy, etc.... should do wonders for shutting up anyone who has more then a 5 minute phone conversation on a plane next to you. "Why yes Sir/Ma'am, i'll gladly put headphones on if you go to the bathroom to continue this wonderful conversation about the crabs you got from some dumb hooker"

You people act as if everyone on a plane will now be on the phone the entirety of the flight merely because they are allowed to. You forget, in general, people only make calls when they have to. And more importantly, most people are adverse to causing discomfort to others (most people will likely recognize that their calls affect others comfort and will alter their call lengths and voice levels accordingly). Most likely a large portion of the calls made on the plane will be less than five minutes long, although I can see certain types of people (business people on conference calls, inconsiderate teenagers, etc.) that would abuse the phone privilege. Ultimately I think it won't be too much of a big deal; if someone is ever really annoying you to the point where it is unbearable then I'm sure you aren't the only one who is affected by that person and the flight crew will ask that person to bring the noise level down or end the conversation.
    No <sarcasm> tags around this entire thing, are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    Probably was a guy asking his girl what her deal is, if something is wrong, and she goes "nothing", and after a while of coaxing, she finally lets on that something is bothering her.

Then.. "(sigh) So what do you want to talk about?"
    Nail on the head.