+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

so whats so good about olimar?

i keep hearing that hes pretty strong but i cant really find reasons why

Re: so whats so good about olimar?

Fight Olimar CPU at level 9 and you might get a rough idea why.

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

His downsmash is sooooooooooooo fast. That, and it can be pretty hard to discern in the heat of battle between a Pikmin Throw, a fsmash and a grab because their animations are very similar.

Also, uair is so strong if you have a yellow or white Pikmin and you land it correctly. His u+a is nice too in that it deals multiple hits but requires no Pikmin. They combo together nicely.

He also has the strongest projectile in the game, a single white Pikmin when thrown can deal 50% if the opponent doesn't get them off. It goes at roughly 6-7% per second, depending on how far developed the Pikmin is.

I think his Pikmin Order has some Super Armour capabilities too.

Edit: Purple Pikmin are pretty devastating on all their attacks, especially fair.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

So the flowers on their heads make them do more damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Metah
    It does. I learned the very hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    What does that mean exactly?

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme
    The bud sprouts into a flower after a period of time, so the longer a pikmin is alive, the stronger it is

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxthepenguin
    Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme
    The bud sprouts into a flower after a period of time, so the longer a pikmin is alive, the stronger it is
    I knew that I just didn't understand what he meant by super armour. Like certain different pikmin increase your defense or something

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Super Armor is a no-flinch property of some moves including but not limited to eruption, aether, DK's charge punch, and olimar's whistle, if you are hit when these moves are in their super armor state, the person does not move and is not interrupted. This makes for rather epic star KO counters when people try to get too aggressive on an angry ike.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

So that down-B does something? I'm not sure I understand.

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk
    It...

- Calls your pikmin back to you
    - Reorders them once they are in line
    and
    - Kills all knockback on an incoming move if you time it correctly before impact, you still take the damage but if you were good enough you could effectively go till like 240 by stifling killshots with it.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ryko
    Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk
    It...

- Calls your pikmin back to you
    - Reorders them once they are in line
    and
    - Kills all knockback on an incoming move if you time it correctly before impact, you still take the damage but if you were good enough you could effectively go till like 240 by stifling killshots with it.
    Yeah I knew the first two, had no idea it removed flinching though. That's pretty exploitable.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsu Kiyome
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I have the most trouble with the Up Air and the Down Smash. Both are pretty powerful and safe. Otherwise, he's not too bad. I still think he's one of the game's better characters though. Tether recovery is "Meh" and is easily edge hogged ; ;

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

From what I've seen, Pikmin Order will order your Pikmin in the following way:

Red, Yellow, Blue, White, Purple.

If you use Pikmin Order, and you're next Pikmin is a yellow one, then white, yellow, blue and red, it'll order them as such: White, Red, Yellow, Yellow, Blue. This happened because you had a multiple of the same type, if you have the multiple of the same time, it will move the next Pikmin in line to the front, and the others will fall in the order before it, grouping same colours togethers. If you use it again, it'll move to Red, Yellow, Yellow, Blue, White. It just moves the next Pikmin in line to the front and the front to the back.

Using it again will lead it to go Yellow, Yellow, Blue, White, Red. Now's the important point, using it again will have the Pikmin assemble as Blue, White, Red, Yellow, Yellow. It will always group like Pikmin and move to the next colour, regardless if you had 5 Purples and 1 Blue.

This is most useful when you have several Pikmin of the same type that you want, Yellow or Purple for example if you're trying to KO, Blue or White if you're trying to raise damage via Pikmin Throw, Red to explode mines safely, etc.

In regards to the budding, from what I've seen, not only does it make them stronger (stronger as in not deal more damage but send the opponent flying farther, damage seems to remain constant), but it also seems to increase how much damage they can take... possibly like increasing their "HP"?

Gay-O-Meter Rating
    c=8 c=8 c=8 c=8
    Hard Gay

BG Level

ive been using olimar since last night and really i only use pikmin order for the super armor. its pretty cool to know now that the flower tips blooming = more power as i was having fun making my pikmin commit suicide after i killed someone.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Olimar was probably my biggest surprise in Brawl. I thought he would suck at first (random pikmin, having to dig them..etc), but he is surprisingly easy to handle, and his attack are powerful.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quite. Plus, he has a fair bit of strategy to him, like switching Pikmin to nullify fire or electric attacks, or keeping some blue Pikmin around so if you fall in water all your Pikmin don't instantly drown.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Grizzly Hills

Olimar is treading dangerously close to being my main man (I never thought PT could be ousted). Here's a few things that you should prolly know:

His "Super Armor" on the whistle seeems to occur when he tilts his head in the animation, before he blows the whistle. This is one of the things I'm still testing more.

You want to throw white Pikmin, grab with Blue Pikmin, and smash with the other 3, though all can be used for everything, that is what they are best at damage-wise. My favorite thing to do however is throw a white then throw a purple (Pikmin order makes it easy to do). The white latches on and then the purple makes em stumble, giving the white more time to work (whites are extremely easy to shake off/kill most of the time, assuming the other player knows which of their attacks will kill them).

Blue don't mind water or cold attacks. Yellow can handle electricty or electric-looking magic attacks, and Reds don't mind fire. Purple have the most HP so they can usually take a few hits of anything, White ones have the least HP and die the easiest.

Olimar's Down Tilt moves him across the screen, and can sneak him under some projectiles like Pit's arrows if used right. This is a favorite of mine, and good for owning campers if Pikmin throw isn't good enough.

Most of Wolf's attacks have good priority over Olimar. This is unique to Olimar only, and makes Wolf trouble (but I am finding him to be beatable if worked at right)

It takes roughly 15 seconds for Pikmin to bud, and another 15 to flower. As they bud and flower, besides giving more knockback, more damage, and having more HP, their priority when Forward/Down/Upsmashing increases quite a bit, and they hang on long when thrown on an enemy.

There's more, but these are the basics if you're seriously interested in Olimar usage or defense. His grabs and smashes are his forte, extremely fast and hard to dodge/distern from his other moves. I have other things I like to do but I am keeping them to myself for now. You'll probably see a lot more if you play me (ADD ME MAXX AND TOMIKO, still awaiting registration > )

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I added you kenai I'm still waiting for YOUR registration.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Grizzly Hills

That's very odd, I'm gonna try re-regisitering you, because I added you right after I sent my reply ages ago.