Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Re: Linking linkshell chat to our website

Very nice job, I was thinking of something like this but RL has pulled me away from the game too much recently (ironically, a big programming project).

Good work!

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Wow... that is amazing...

Heres my idea, and challenge to you good sir. There are times where I wish I could see Linkshell Chat and not have to be logged on. (Warcraft3 which I often play ladder and FFXI do not like each other) If you could figure out how to work that I would have your babies until then I give you an extreme "Great job dude, that fucking rocks"

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

You don't have to be logged in to see chat in his program, you are essentially chatting with his "mule PC" and that chats with the people in FFXI.

Siralin

What kind of time delay is there between Moving in-game text to the chat viewer and vice versa? Almost instant I would assume?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Miisha
    Quote Originally Posted by Koga
    Nice.

Was working on a similar project with ajax... How did you create the remote device > in-game parse?
    I was able to code a parse of the logs and post to the remote device but doing the reverse is proving to be quite a challenge.
    To be more specific, you need to have a hook somewhere in the website that allows your program access to the data in the web chat. Then every time a new message arrives, write it to the chattext.script file so it will be pulled into the game, then rewrite a blank file after a couple seconds.
    It'd be better to just use a Java Servlet with AJAX + DB or something, no need to write to a silly file.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBob
    Nice.

Was working on a similar project with ajax... How did you create the remote device > in-game parse?
    I was able to code a parse of the logs and post to the remote device but doing the reverse is proving to be quite a challenge.
    To be more specific, you need to have a hook somewhere in the website that allows your program access to the data in the web chat. Then every time a new message arrives, write it to the chattext.script file so it will be pulled into the game, then rewrite a blank file after a couple seconds.
    It'd be better to just use a Java Servlet with AJAX + DB or something, no need to write to a silly file.
    But it uses a windower script to send the input to the game, right? I'd rather have it just read from a script than figure out how to tie widower to mysql :/

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

wow, good thinking.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer
    Nice.

But it uses a windower script to send the input to the game, right? I'd rather have it just read from a script than figure out how to tie widower to mysql :/
    Going from Site -> Game would be better just using piping. Read -> Write -> Read from file is clunky, and open to a lot of dangerous exploiting. I'd just create a small app or script to go get the data from the servlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeetaru
    Heres my idea, and challenge to you good sir. There are times where I wish I could see Linkshell Chat and not have to be logged on. (Warcraft3 which I often play ladder and FFXI do not like each other) If you could figure out how to work that I would have your babies until then I give you an extreme "Great job dude, that fucking rocks"
    Raineer is right, you don't have to be logged into FFXI to see it, because we have it running on a mule. All you need to get into the chat is a web browser (and membership in OD of course ^.^).

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer
    Nice.

Going from Site -> Game would be better just using piping. Read -> Write -> Read from file is clunky, and open to a lot of dangerous exploiting. I'd just create a small app or script to go get the data from the servlet.
    I think I see what you mean, but how would you get FFXI (Windower) to read from a pipe? The only reason I'm putting it in a file is that it lends itself to the existing Windower scripts to get the text into the game. But this is really just the first version, if you have any ideas I'd be happy to hear them. It doesn't really have any security risks because it's just a file in my Windower\scripts directory, no one can access that. The web site itself is professionally hosted.

Quote Originally Posted by Siralin
    What kind of time delay is there between Moving in-game text to the chat viewer and vice versa? Almost instant I would assume?
    Not quite. Because I have to read from the website when I'm checking for new lines to send to the game, I try to avoid flooding the site by only getting new data every three seconds. Then there's the natural two second delay while chatlink.script is running. So it depends on where it hits those blocks. Could be nearly instant, worst case is five seconds + internet access time. If you compare the pictures in the OP line by line you'll notice some of them are out of order.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I think I see what you mean, but how would you get FFXI (Windower) to read from a pipe? The only reason I'm putting it in a file is that it lends itself to the existing Windower scripts to get the text into the game. But this is really just the first version, if you have any ideas I'd be happy to hear them. It doesn't really have any security risks because it's just a file in my Windower\scripts directory, no one can access that. The web site itself is professionally hosted.
    Since each LS would have its own implementation, you could even host the site on the same PC if you wanted. Bandwidth should be a non-issue. Ideally, you could host the web portion in *nix and run FF in a VM for max security (if there was a VM that would run it )

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

I did an almost exact same method for my LS site insurrectionls.com as well as a mimic of Pol's live web cam but for our server and our linkshell's afk corner in Whitegate. Saw a couple vulnerabilities as you mentioned and I haven't been able to secure it as much as I'd like to in order to fully release it on my site.

Still toy with it here and there, would love to fully get it up one of these days when I have time x.x

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Elipse
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubbers
    Wouldn't it be just as easy to use a LS mule char or something to port things the other way? IE from Website > In game chat?

I can see some incredible uses for this.
    It works both ways. Game to web, web to game. Did you mean something else?
    Didn't realize it was already both ways, thought it was just game to web, now I'm even more impressed. I need to do this.

Edit: Let me rephrase, I was being a dumbass and didn't look at the image, only read the description.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Thats really pretty awesome, just make sure you don't say any TOD's over LS chat ~.^

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Coolest shit I've seen in quite sometime. Two thumbs up!