+ Reply to Thread
    Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Question on Windows Xp disk...

Let's say I have my windows xp disk copied from a friend, and lost the key. I got that "Magic Jellybean" program to get my Original key on my desk top. Would that key work with a copied version of WinXP? any thoughts would be appreciated

Old Merits
    BG Level

Re: Question on Windows Xp disk...

Yes, CD key isn't tied to disk.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

the reg key should work with any XP CD. (well, there are a few exceptions, but i doubt you'd get your fingers on an actionpack XP CD or something similar XD)

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Caprese Dionir
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Pro to Pro or Home to Home needs to match, a Volume Licensing version of XP (typically the hacked ones) uses a different key, and sometimes Retail keys and OEM keys are different.

I've seen it go both ways though, sometimes the keys will cross over and then give an error after install (forcing you to call MS to activate), and other times I've seen it outright refuse the key and install won't complete if the type of install didn't match.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fallso
    This is in fact incorrect. However it is not one key it is a set of keys. If you try to install windows with an OEM key but using a normal windows cd it will NOT work! Also if your school is part of MSDNAA your keys will not work with anything but the disc/iso your school has on their servers. (I've learned this from experience. It really sucks to be in the middle of an install and find out your key won't work then have to start all over.) However I think those are the only exceptions.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate It.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ikith
    This is in fact incorrect. However it is not one key it is a set of keys. If you try to install windows with an OEM key but using a normal windows cd it will NOT work! Also if your school is part of MSDNAA your keys will not work with anything but the disc/iso your school has on their servers. (I've learned this from experience. It really sucks to be in the middle of an install and find out your key won't work then have to start all over.) However I think those are the only exceptions.
    Hm, it's different in the UK. Our college has a single lisence to XP (because they're a center of education) so all the XP CDs are copies of the original with the same CD key. It's the same at the M.O.D. (I had a M.O.D. XP disk when I first had XP haha).

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ikith
    Hm, it's different in the UK. Our college has a single lisence to XP (because they're a center of education) so all the XP CDs are copies of the original with the same CD key. It's the same at the M.O.D. (I had a M.O.D. XP disk when I first had XP haha).
    This is actually 100% different! Microsoft assigns your school a key and that key is good for so many computers to use (Designated on a server in your school or over at microsoft) the uses can be extended (You have to buy more uses on the key). What I am talking about is OEM Discs and keys VS MSDNAA (Your school signs up for this and YOU get cd keys for microsoft products) CDs and Keys (I think the CDs and Keys me be OEM but I'm not sure and I don't plan on experimenting) VS retail cds and keys. If you try to swap them (Like using a OEM to install a retail key) it will NOT work! It will say invalid CD key.

I have an academic XP Pro serial that'll work with any XP Pro CD, OEM or otherwise.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    I have an academic XP Pro serial that'll work with any XP Pro CD, OEM or otherwise.
    Hm... I must be cursed !

From MSDNAA right?

From whichever major academic institution was stupid enough to let it get out.