+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HQ animation question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

HQ animation question

I started tracking all my synths/desynths in Excel to keep my facts straight, but I can't tell the various HQ animations apart yet. I can occasionally tell which level of HQ I get by the result, but most of the HQ animations I've seen were trivial synths that don't have a HQ result (eg, ingots or cloths). I'd still like to track the rate at which they occur.

Could anyone describe the various animations for each crystal?

Re: HQ animation question

its definitely NOT one of the NQ animations

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

As far as I've seen, all NQ animations end plainly and with a little popping sound. I suppose I should clarify:

How can you tell HQ1, HQ2, and HQ3 apart other than by results?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I don't think there is a difference in HQ animations, though sometimes I swear the animation goes faster than usual, but I also get that feeling on NQ animations too

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

doesn't the spherical effect signify what HQ it is?

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

I wouldn't know since well, I havent seen the HQ animation enough.

For an earth crystal synth:

HQ1 goes: kzzzzzzttttt~~~ wahwahwahPOW!
    HQ2 goes: kzzzzzzttttt~~~ wahWahWahPOW!
    HQ3 goes: kzzzzzzttttt~~~ WAHWAHWAHWAHPOW!

Was that a joke Jackyl? I've never noticed a difference between HQs, other than it looking different due to a drop in FPS, like in Whitegate..

after doing thousands of arrow and bolt synths, I have yet to see the difference in hq animations, they all look the same.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

For an earth crystal synth:

HQ1 goes: kzzzzzzttttt~~~ wahwahwahPOW!
    HQ2 goes: kzzzzzzttttt~~~ wahWahWahPOW!
    HQ3 goes: kzzzzzzttttt~~~ WAHWAHWAHWAHPOW!
    You can tell the HQ animation from the NQ at the end of the synth. For NQ you see one circle shrink relatively slowly into the crystal then a loud "POP" noise. For HQ, you will see several circles rapidly shrink into the crystal with different and less distinctive sound than the "POP" from NQ (each "wah" represents a different circle rapidly shrinking into the crystal. This description is the same for the Dark Crystals I use). If you want to take all of the surprise out of it, just scroll to the bottem of your inventory. you'll see what you got before the animation even starts.

Xavierus

Telling a NQ from a HQ synth is pretty self explanatory. As far as telling HQ apart by tier, good luck. They all look the same. If you're trying to track the rate at which they occur, try synthing something that gives different results on all 3 tiers.

i remember a conversation about this before wherein some people swore they could differentiate by the number of "rings" they heard as the synth finished. others said they couldn't tell them apart. as i never HQ ANYTHING (except for a green ribbon and a silk cloth while skilling. yeah. that was a GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT use of a t0...) i couldn't tell you myself.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spekkio
    i remember a conversation about this before wherein some people swore they could differentiate by the number of "rings" they heard as the synth finished. others said they couldn't tell them apart. as i never HQ ANYTHING (except for a green ribbon and a silk cloth while skilling. yeah. that was a GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT use of a t0...) i couldn't tell you myself.
    Yea, I'm one of those people that goes by rings/spheres, I'm trying to make videos with all 4 of them side by side to see if i'm crazy or not.

Dice and rum
    Not necessarily in that order

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic
    Was that a joke Jackyl? I've never noticed a difference between HQs, other than it looking different due to a drop in FPS, like in Whitegate..
    What he said. Been crafting for years, many HQs, if there's a difference in the HQ animations then I must be blind (or not paying enough attention).

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Looks like the ring idea is just psychological =/

http://rapidshare.com/files/104861325/HQsynth1.avi.html

top left - NQ
    top right - HQ1
    bottom left - HQ2
    bottom right - HQ3

Video has been aligned so the 2nd part of the animation (the "wahWahWah" as Jackyl described) match up.
    The length of the animation seems random, as NQ and HQ3 are similar in times, while HQ1 and HQ2 are similar as well. So I guess you can't really tell by animation.

I'm not sure about the animation difference in HQ1~3, but I thought I heard the difference in sound... but I don't see higher tier HQ's much unless I'm making chains or something so.. I couldn't say I have enough experience to say for sure.

I don't know about animations, but I remember a sound skilling up on errant pigaches a while back when I hq'd one during a skillup session. I was 1 natural level below them, but I was artificially 2 levels over it.

When I hq'd the item it made the oddest noise...I don't know if it could be attributed to lag.

When you normally hq with an earth crystal, the pitch is lower during the hq "spinning faster and faster" phase of the animation and the pitch climbs a bit to indicate speed.

Well, the sound THIS thing made was the opposite, the sound was short, but the pitch started higher and sharply lowered. Imagine a fire crystal HQ how it kinda makes that "shiny" noise from lower pitch to a higher pitch, and reverse it..that's exactly what this earth hq sounded like.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Well I always had thought it was the animation that helps me predict what HQ it was, usually I'm right like 80% of the time. But yet, after making that video I don't really see much difference, despite "feeling" it.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Thanks for the vids, Chewbar. I can see differences in those, but damned if I can classify what they are.

How Jackyl described earth HQs is kinda what I noticed with fire and lightning-- there's a change in the sound when it goes HQ but it's not always the same sound. I suppose if I can't count rings, then I could try to judge by how much WAH I'm getting, right?

Thanks all, this'll help a lot.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

nope, the sounds are similar. =/ Just in case you wanted to hear for yourself, here are the mp3s I made to compare them.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/104932427/HQsounds.rar.html
    HQ1vHQ2.mp3 - HQ1 on left stereo channel, HQ2 on right stereo channel
    HQ1vHQ3.mp3 - HQ1 on left stereo channel, HQ3 on right stereo channel
    HQ2vHQ3.mp3 - HQ2 on left stereo channel, HQ3 on right stereo channel

Works best if you listen through headphones I think. As far as I can tell, all 3 are exactly identical.