• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

I want to plug my ps3 into my PC monitor

i've read a bunch of things online that say it is possible but I need to have a monitor that can support HDCP or something like that.

I just wanted to know if anyone on here has done this and could tell me what the best way to do it is or how I can easily find out if my monitor type (it's kinda old in computer years) would even give me a picture if i tried.

What's the best adapter to get the yellow, red and blue cable into the video card or HDMI or whatever adapter i need to.

thanks

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Re: I want to plug my ps3 into my PC monitor

You need a monitor that has HDMI inputs. Chances are if you have an old monitor, you don't have this. Many monitors only have VGA or DVI out, and you need something with input ports.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

http://www.shopping.com/xPP-input_adapt ... converters
    The yellow-white-red cables are known as composite cables
    the red-blue-green are known as component cables.

if your monitor uses plugs that looks like the top of this page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA), then it uses vga. Just look for appropriate converters.

an alternate route is to get a TV tuner card and send the video to your tuner card, through your PC, and to the monitor, but depending on your computer, it may be unplayable, because if the computer can't keep up, it will lag.

edit: by approrpiate i mean XXXX to YYYY converter, where XXXX is whatever output PS3 has (I don't have one so I have no idea what outputs they can put out) and YYYY is what your monitor can use, whether its VGA or HDMI

I know my PC could handle whatever the PS3 is sending it as i'm pretty sure my PC components are better than the hardware in the PS3 except for the age of my monitor. and by old i only mean like 2 years maybe, it's an LG LCD.

i'll have to check the cable types tomorrow though. thanks for the link hopefully it'll help.

Resident furfag
    BG Level

Give us the model number of the monitor and maybe your PC specs and we'll tell you what you need

i'm at work right now so i'll have to wait til i get home for the monitor specs.

but my PC i'm running at e6600 OC'd to 1333 FSB (or 334mhz FSB whatever it is i forget) which is running i think at like 3026mhz. I have DDR3 RAM at 1333mhz and a GTX8800 768mb video card. assus P5K3-deluxe MOBO.

monitor i know is a 19" LG LCD with VGA plugin, pretty sure it doesn't have new HDMI type hook-ups but it's a good quality monitor.

Resident furfag
    BG Level

With a computer like that, I think it's time for a new monitor.

i know i need one, but i bought my mom a 22" samsung widescreen for xmas so that was my monitor until i can afford a new one

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

does the ps3 have DVI out or is it only HDMI?
    (my monitor has DVI in but no HDMI)

also anyone know if they make DVI cables for the wii?

Resident furfag
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut
    does the ps3 have DVI out or is it only HDMI?
    (my monitor has DVI in but no HDMI)

also anyone know if they make DVI cables for the wii?
    The PS3 has HDMI, and the standard PS2/3 connector which can handle output to 1080p(I think, could be 720p) over component, or 480p over composite. It also has an optical sound port.

HDMI is nice because it can handle sound as well as a digital video signal, but DVI does NOT carry sound, although in some cases can do either a digital signal or an analog signal.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Would a HDMI-DVI adapter work, or does the HDCP thing get lost in the process meaning you're forced to use a shit resolution?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I use an HDMI-DVI adapter to play ps3 games on my monitor. You will need to use the component or optical audio cables to get sound from another source though, since the monitor probably doesn't have audio nor do I think audio would carry over through a dvi-hdmi adapter anyway. I think you mentioned that your monitor still uses VGA, so I'm not sure if there's a vga-hdmi adapter, but yeah like the others said it's probably time to get a new monitor.

Resident furfag
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha
    Would a HDMI-DVI adapter work, or does the HDCP thing get lost in the process meaning you're forced to use a shit resolution?
    HDCP works through DVI too, it's the way the actual signal is encoded, so any digital source with it, can handle it.

VGA is analog. DVI can be both. HDMI is digital. You can go from VGA to DVI-I (analog). You can go from DVI-D (digital) to HDMI. You can't go from VGA to HDMI without some sort of DAC (digital to analog converter).

DVI-D: http://www.datapro.net/images/dvi_ds.gif

DVI-I: http://www.datapro.net/images/dvi_is.gif

DVI-I actually supports both analog and digital signals. DVI-A is only analog, but I've never actually seen one anywhere... wouldn't make much sense as DVI means Digital Video Interface.

If you are looking to buy a DVI cable, the best kind to buy would be a DVI-I dual link. The dual link adds support for higher resolution. I believe that VGA can handle around 4-5Megapixels (30" LCD) and DVI can do about 2.5-3Megapixels (24"). Dual link allows for 30" screens over a DVI connection. Some of the highest end LCD monitors, with crazy resolutions like 3500 x 2500 use two DVI dual link connectors.