Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dual boxing     submit to reddit submit to twitter

dual boxing

I tried loading http://www.1stframe.co.uk/images/gal...e%20window.JPGer gui and the normal http://www.1stframe.co.uk/images/gal...e%20window.JPGer, it works for about 5 minutes then i get a random pol error D: sometimes pol loads and half the screen is blacked out.

i run AMD fx62 2x 8800 ultras and xp pro, can anyone offer some advice

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Re: dual boxing

What I do is just run 2 windower.exe's. Wait until after one character is logged in, before starting up the 2nd program. I'm not sure if it's been fixed, but ever since the latest update of the official windower, 2boxing has been laggy to me, to the point where the window out of focus would freeze entirely. This was fixed with the priority plugin found on the site.

Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by fishstix
    What I do is just run 2 windower.exe's. Wait until after one character is logged in, before starting up the 2nd program. I'm not sure if it's been fixed, but ever since the latest update of the official windower, 2boxing has been laggy to me, to the point where the window out of focus would freeze entirely. This was fixed with the priority plugin found on the site.
    priority fixed it for me for the longest time; it would have my 2nd character showing stuff that had happened 10-40 seconds ago, priority.dll fixed it right away and all was good

now not so much, it's very hit or miss, and the only solution i've found is to not keep both chars in whitegate

i'll be on the 2nd character and when i alt-tab to the 1st character, returning to the 2nd character takes forever and likely leads to random POL error or severe lag or both

i heard priority was fixed etc so i cleared my windower folder and got latest version but no dice; good luck, i've given up on my aging computer and i'm quite convinced my days of 2boxing are over/postponed til new rig

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Casca Wolftamer
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

i had a similar problem but now that I changes my motherboard and my graphic card I dont have any shutdown at all even with 3 windower loaded.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Dunno if you use Fraps but mine crashes if I have that running, so I just close it off before I load the second windower.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

I've never had a problem dual boxing. O.o Everything reacts plenty fast on both. <_< No priority plugin or w/e.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

You can't run characters on the same POL copy, right? I'd love to do this with a second computer on another account, but when I tried it in the past, it didn't work.

Will it work on a character with a different content ID?

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by heavensword
    You can't run characters on the same POL copy, right? I'd love to do this with a second computer on another account, but when I tried it in the past, it didn't work.

Will it work on a character with a different content ID?
    you seem to be confusing POL ID and POL install CD or w/e

when you install FFXI and the respective expansions it doesnt technically come with a character (although your 12.95 pays for one) obviously you can't run 2 characters from the same POL account/content ID w/e

for simplicity's sake, you would be running 2 characters+ for which someone (you, friend LS mate) is paying 12.95/mo each for

also, 2x SE Windower doesnt work

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

So, using the same install CD on 2 machines, with the same POL login, but 2 different Content IDs, I could 2-box with my wife? I just can't log in to me and my mule, right?

For example, my character selection screen looks like this:

Heavensword
    Mule
    Mule
    Mule
    Mule
    Wife's character (greyed out, because it's on an inactive Content ID, while the other ones are all on one with me)

If I wanted to 2-box with my wife's character, would I need to create a totally separate POL login?

only 1 pol id can be logged in at a time, period

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by heavensword
    So, using the same install CD on 2 machines, with the same POL login, but 2 different Content IDs, I could 2-box with my wife? I just can't log in to me and my mule, right?

For example, my character selection screen looks like this:

Heavensword
    Mule
    Mule
    Mule
    Mule
    Wife's character (greyed out, because it's on an inactive Content ID, while the other ones are all on one with me)

If I wanted to 2-box with my wife's character, would I need to create a totally separate POL login?
    hooboy lol, trying to be gentle with this reply

the term 2boxing typically doesnt means 2 computers, 2 running systems
    it typically involves 2 instances of the windower running 2 absolutely separate FFXI accounts, not a 'main' and a mule from the same FFXI account

any physically seperate machine is gonna require a separate install CD, the point of 2boxing is to not use 2 separate machines

if you want to play your wife's character at the same time you are SOL, you will need a whole new FFXI account as I'm pretty sure SE cannot extract a mule from your account and give it its own independant account (thus why i have a mule with flee and my brother now has 4 75's on his new character)

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Roark

hooboy lol, trying to be gentle with this reply

the term 2boxing typically doesnt means 2 computers, 2 running systems
    it typically involves 2 instances of the windower running 2 absolutely separate FFXI accounts, not a 'main' and a mule from the same FFXI account

any physically seperate machine is gonna require a separate install CD, the point of 2boxing is to not use 2 separate machines

if you want to play your wife's character at the same time you are SOL, you will need a whole new FFXI account as I'm pretty sure SE cannot extract a mule from your account and give it its own independant account (thus why i have a mule with flee and my brother now has 4 75's on his new character)
    Sorry, my friend from WoW goes overboard with 6 characters simultaneously...he uses different machines for at least some of them. I don't know anyone else irl who plays FFXI, so I haven't seen it done. Knowing that only one POL id can be logged in at a time is enough.

I also assumed that the same install on 2 computers wasn't valid either...but I just wanted to make sure it could be done on the same computer, too.

Thanks for the help all!