• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Laptop not picking up sound from my headset

My laptop stopped picking up sound from my microphone (USB) a few days ago for no apparent reason. I've tried two other headsets (not USB) and my laptop did not pick up sound from either. It's almost as if I muted it somehow, but I can't find anything that actually says it's muted. For the record, none of the 3 headsets have a mute button located on them.

My laptop recognizes that my headset is plugged in fine and I can hear sound through them fine. I have all my sound/recording options defaulted to my headset.
    http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3349/headset2pw6.jpg
    http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5205/headsetqf0.jpg

I have not done anything to my computer in the last few days. I have 4 USB ports and I've tried all 4, both with and without rebooting. I've tried reinstalling my sound drivers. Is there anything else I can look into or is something in my laptop borked?

Re: Laptop not picking up sound from my headset

Any chance you have a non-usb microphone you can try? That'd help to isolate the issue, whether it be a sound card or USB problem.

Yea, I mentioned that I tried 2 non-USB headsets in my first post if you missed that. My laptop picked up sound from neither of those I'm going to be trying all 3 on another computer when I get the chance but that option isn't available to me right now.

erp, my bad... I totally read that as you trying two other USB headsets >_>

I had a similar problem years ago on a win98 machine iirc, wave in wasn't muted, but either line in, or aux in was muted and screwing it up.

In my sound options, I only see Speaker, Wave, SW Synth and CD Player, all of which aren't muted. Can you direct me to where I might check aux in/line in?

Volume Control > Options > Properties

A box will pop up, check both the Playback & Recording options and it'll have a bunch of things you can select to display, see if any of those are muted.

No, none are muted. Just the 4 I listed for Playback and Wave In under Recording and all are set at max volume/unmuted.

Have you tried multiple applications to see if it's muted in all of them?

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

also what recording source is selected when you do

Options and Properties and switch to recording sources?

if its not mic then that may be your problem

also at the top of properties there's mixer device, when you are changing options is your head set selected??

where you are in your first screen shot up there go back there and goto voice, what is selected in recording device?

Old Merits
    BG Level

It could be a hardware error, in my laptop only one headphone/speaker works because the metal contacts inside are bent slightly so not all are touching the jack. If you can't find anything wrong OS/software side, try having a fiddle around or take it to the repair shop and get a quote (I'd suggest fixing it yourself if it was a PC, but laptops are fucking irritating as hell to fix lol).

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Make certain the microphone is enabled... it depends on your system, however when I plug in my usb headset, I had to check the wave-in volume to make certain it was enabled.

Having someone look at the insides of my laptop is a last resort for me. Unfortunately, I have no idea what does what so I wouldn't feel comfortable looking inside on my own. Also, it seems kind of weird that it'd break suddently...it was working fun up until a couple days ago, no issues whatsoever.

Everything I can think of is set to my headset. I've tried all 3 headsets using both the windows sound recorder and Ventrilo, both of which recognize that my headset is plugged in and selected.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/8813/headset5wf8.jpg
    http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/892/headset6ar6.jpg

It's sounding like the problem and fix is going to be so obscure that you'd save time by just reformatting and reinstalling Windows. At least with a fresh install it will either work or you'll know for sure it needs to go to a technician.

I wish I could help more, I remember you helping me with ZM4

Late response, but any help is appreciated even if it doesn't fix the problem. I'm having someone come out to look at it so hopefully I find the problem eventually. 8)

aduidarnenye

My microphone did the same yours did on almost the exact same day. I've been trying everything suggested in this thread with absolutely no luck. One minute it was working, the next it was not. I even did the reformat nonsense with no success. So obscure windows update that screwed them up?

This isnt going so well guys.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by aduidarnenye
    My microphone did the same yours did on almost the exact same day. I've been trying everything suggested in this thread with absolutely no luck. One minute it was working, the next it was not. I even did the reformat nonsense with no success. So obscure windows update that screwed them up?
    Mine had the same problem a few months back, reformatting didnt work and I tried everything. I ended up calling tech support on it and they replaced the motherboard and it worked fine after that. (mine was also the speakers cutting in and out as well but mostly the same thing)