+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    "Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

FF TA2 - Grimoire of the Rift

Looking forward to this. It finally got a US release date of June 24th. It'll feature stylus controls, unlike the JP version (Although I hate the DS stylus anyways).

Basic plot ripped from Wiki:

"The game takes place in Ivalice, like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy XII. There are seven playable races in the game: Hume, Moogle, Viera, Bangaa, Seeq, Nu Mou and Gria.[4] Chronologically, the game takes place some time after Final Fantasy XII.

The main character, Luso Clemens, is a mischievous boy who lived in the real world until, after being punished for teasing and being late countless times and sent to library clean-up duty right before summer vacation, he finds an old book in the library. The book is full of pictures of swords and wizards, but abruptly becomes blank in the middle. After this, the book commands that the reader should tell/write the person who should fill in this blank (presumably the 'hero' of the story) He then writes his own name on the blank page, "Luso Clemens," after which he is transported into the world of Ivalice. Dropping into the middle of a forest right in front of a large bird called a "Dekatrice" (a play on the adjective "dekai," huge, and "cockatrice"), he is told by a warrior named Cid nearby that if he wishes to live, he should join his clan, the Gully Clan. Luso excitedly does so, and, in front of a judge, swears into the clan, after which he magically transforms into a soldier, complete with sword and fantasy garb.

Luso tells Cid that he probably should be looking for a way home, because his aunt will be worried about him. Cid agrees to help him find a way home, and Luso agrees to help the clan and see the world of Ivalice until he goes home. This is slightly different from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, in that he is not overly concerned with getting home, but rather focuses his attention on the opportunity he has been given.[4] Unlike in the previous installment, the main character travels to the real Ivalice, instead of a creation of his friend's imagination;[6] this fact is reinforced by the reappearances of familiar characters such as Vaan and Penelo."

"The plot of the game also involves supporting characters that have been featured in games within the Ivalice universe. Ezel Berbier plays a supporting role, featured in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Vaan, Penelo and Al-Cid Margrace, a noble from Rozaria, are playable characters that are featured in Final Fantasy XII. Even Montblanc, who appeared in both games, makes an appearance due to being Hurdy's brother. Other characters include antagonists such as Illua and Ewen of a criminal syndicate known as the Khamja, and new characters such as Lezaford and Frimelda."

Basic post. Doing Kirin now, more details and features when I feel like ripping and organizing them.

EDIT: You know what? I found this: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmes ... c=41953663

Better than anything else I can type up.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

Re: FF TA2 - Grimoire of the Rift

Ugh not another FF:TA-ish plot background. Wish they would make another console FFT already, sans the kids being transported to Ivalice gimmick.

Does anyone who's taken a stab at the import or something know if the job choices are still locked in accordance to the character's race or not? It was one of my main gripes with the original FFTA.

Edit: also, christ! this FFIV DS and Chocobo Tales Wii in 2 months. SE raping my wallet more than usual.

"Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

To my knowledge, yes, they still have the same job system. They added 2-3 jobs to each of the races, though.

new race, few new jobs, jobs locked to races (with few being multiple races), looks like FFT:A redone with more things added in and character names changed.

So, if you liked FFT:A, enjoy. If you thought FFT:A was a pain in the ass and boring, and too restricting, pick up a PSP and WA:XF.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Grizzly Hills

The main things I didn't like about the original FFTA are non-existant now (the Law system being revamped and not quite-so-useless special characters), but I am worried that the leveling system is still a pain. I could never really make Marche a decent mage class (imo) because he started with Solider stats and the game never seemed to give me good enough mage stats as he leveled in a mage job, as opposed to a character who "started" as a mage, so I was never able to level every class like I could on the original. The new Hume Yojimbo class intrugues me though, and while the story was a bit stupid, I didn't hate it or anything. I'll pick it up.

You think this is the real Dmitry?
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I really liked the story for the first FF:TA. I'm a little sad that Marche isn't returning in this one (as far as we know).

I don't understand why SE can't release DS games at $35 like everyone else. Like someone else said, they're taking a good bit of change out of my pocket

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Goddamit, not another "magic book" story. I hate those.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    yea.......it was ok in the first FFTA I guess but now its like a theme.....

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Chezo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    yea.......it was ok in the first FFTA I guess but now its like a theme.....
    ...and i thought they were done raping the tactics series...

The AI in the original FFT:A was so stupid it was laughable, they all used the same gear and made the same errors that made them all fodder within a few moves. Laws were an annoyance meant to punish you for being too harsh on the computer. Meh the story was just as horrid.... can we just get another dark storyline with a different cast a la FFT?

More evil zodiac demons for everyone!

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Bumping this since it comes out the 24th of this month.

Sooooo, who's getting it? I am, I <3 all of the FFTs.

The first FFTA on the GBA I put in a 100+ hours in it just because I loved the job system. Q_Q

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I'm getting it, although I'm not sure why. The weird thing about FFTA was that it had a boring story and pointlessly easy battles, yet I spent countless hours on the damn game and completed it fully (minus the optional post-game quests). I'm sure I'll do the same with this one, especially with the new classes and the absolutely fucking adorable Gria tribe. I'm a sucker for cute-yet-deadly females in fantasy games, I think I had like three Viera assassins when I played FFTA.

You think this is the real Dmitry?
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I think I might've played the first game before Fire Emblem, and for some reason I was completely enveloped into it. It might have been the job system, because when it comes to something like that I like to try and max out and get everything unlocked. Coincidentally, that could have been the reason I played FFX-2 so much.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

I've been playing the Japanese version and some of these quests are straight retarded. For example, a guest Bishop which has Cura and shit for a really low level quest, yet does nothing except wait every turn while bunnies flood you. Killing all the bunnies does nothing, talking to the Bishop fails the mission. After a certain number of turns more bunnies come.

I swear to god if I still can't beat this mission in the NA version I'll be pissed off.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I tried playing the JP version, but didn't get to far since the FFTA Wiki for it was never update passed the first few missions. Q_Q

And I never was good at deciphering moonrunes.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

pre ordered this + FF4 + FF:CC DS ; ; ; my poor poor wallet.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Guitar Hero: On tour is dumped, hopefully FF TA2 will be up soon

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I hope so. I got my DS ready for it =o

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Well, the European version has been dumped. I'll probably download it, don't think there will be a big difference between them.
    Also, Daigasso! Band Brothers DX in 2 days. Best week ever

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Where are you downloading from? Link me please. :<

Send in PM so you don't get the stick.