+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

UFC® 83 Serra vs St-Pierre 2

First of all, I'm way too excited for this to happen. Me and some friends actually have tickets to go and see this, and we're going up to Montreal on Friday. This is going to be so sweet. I'll post pictures for sure after I get home, which will be Sunday night.

Matt Serra (9-4-0) vs Georges St-Pierre (15-2-0)

Travis Lutter (12-4-0) Vs. Rich Franklin (24-3-0)

Nate Quarry (14-2-0) Vs. Kalib Starnes (10-3-1)

Charles McCarthy (7-2-0) Vs. Michael Bisping (15-1-0)

Mark Bocek (5-1-0) Vs. Mac Danzig (18-4-1)

Joe Doerksen (39-10-0) Vs. Jason MacDonald (20-9-0)

Jason Day (16-5-0) Vs. Alan Belcher (11-3-0)

Ed Herman (15-4-0) Vs. Demian Maia (7-0-0)

Rich Clementi (38-12-1) Vs. Sam Stout (14-3-1)

Brad Morris (10-2-0) Vs. Cain Velasquez (2-0-0)

Kuniyoshi Hironaka (11-3-0) Vs. Jonathan Goulet (21-9-1)

I think despite what most people are saying, this card shouldn't be that bad. I'm a pretty big fan of a couple of fighters on here (GSP and Stout, mostly), and I think the card will be very exciting to watch.

GSP - Serra: There's no way I can see GSP losing to Serra again. GSP seems completely focused, and after what he did to Matt Hughes, I see him being a dominant fighter for years to come. I don't think Serra got lucky the first time (though it was to the back of the head), but I can't see him beating GSP even with his BJJ. I think GSP is too strong for him even if it does go down to the ground, which I don't think it will. GSP even said that he has to prove that his standup is better than Serra's, so I think it'll stay on the feet for a little while, at least. GSP TKO RD 1

Lutter - Franklin: Lutter won't be able to take Franklin down to the mat, and he'll get beat up on his feet. Franklin TKO RD 2

Quarry - Starnes: I see this being a great drawn out fight until the third, where I think Starnes can submit him, probably due to RNC. Starnes RD 3 SUB

McCarthy - Bisbing: I can't see how dropping weight will change your fighting style. Bisbing RD3 UNANIMOUS DEC

Bocek - Danzig: Danzig was very impressive in his ultimate fighter finale. I can't decide whether a RD 1 or 2 TKO... Danzig RD 2 TKO.

Clementi - Stout: Stout hasn't finished a fight in the UFC yet, so I think he's about due. He'll use his muay thai clinch to knockout Clementi. Stout RD 1 TKO

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

Re: UFC® 83 Serra vs St-Pierre 2

GSP, Franklin, Bisping, Demian, Danzig, Quarry just because his nickname is Rock

There are some decent fights aside from the main event but overall I would say its definitely a weak card since it tried to Canadian itself up. I don't think Canadians really care too much about seeing fighters from their own country, especially if it means the quality of fighters is decreased.

GSP will NOT lose this (oh god I hope not). I want GSP to smash Serra but I also want him to beat the crap out of him for as many rounds as he can so Serra knows that he isn't in the same league. If Serra loses in just 1 round it will be nice but not as satisfying I think.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I also have tickets to this. Should be a good party in Montreal Saturday night after a GSP victory!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I agree, I want to see Serra pay for such a lucky win against GSP. That and I can't stand flashy douchebag pelvic thrust moves after a win, and Serra does it way too much. This ain't fucking football, keep your stupid antics the hell out of the ring.

For the rest of the fighters, I've seen some of them but not all. I don't really have any predictions for any of them because I usually don't drill down into stats and all that shit. I just like watching them fight.

Quote Originally Posted by dritero
    I also have tickets to this. Should be a good party in Montreal Saturday night after a GSP victory!
    Montreal is going to hit the roof when GSP wins! The after parties should be amazing haha

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

not gonna waste my money on this card. yeah there *should* be some decent fights, but im not gonna get my hopes up for some of these mid-tier fighters.

and honestly .. i wouldnt bet money on the GSP vs Serra fight. GSP was supposed to destroy him last time, yeah yeah bad training w/e. i think it might be possible that Serra just has GSPs number. kinda like how Chute Box has Rampages number. either way, GSP should KO him in the first, if not then Serra wins again by *fluke* i wont be surprised if either happens.

im saving my money for UFC 84. now that is a card worth buying.

I won't be dropping the cash for this either.

I wouldn't mind Serra's cocky ass getting KO'd. But at the same time, the sheer "lol factor" of GSP loosing again is to much to root against.

Go Serra haha.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

god damn you guys are some spoiled asses. this is a great card with some exciting fighters on it. 5 years ago we would have shit our pants for a card like this and now we're just "meh".

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by noblemountain
    god damn you guys are some spoiled asses. this is a great card with some exciting fighters on it. 5 years ago we would have shit our pants for a card like this and now we're just "meh".
    You have to admit this is one of the weaker cards aside from the main event. Building the card full of people from canada/uk does that to cards.

imo an awesome card, would have liked to have seen cote on the card to further his road to #1 contender, but he got hurt. If serra loses(or wins) I definitely want to see him fight hughes
    (copy paste for predictions)
    Matt Serra (9-4-0) vs Georges St-Pierre (15-2-0)

Travis Lutter (12-4-0) Vs. Rich Franklin (24-3-0)

Nate Quarry (14-2-0) Vs. Kalib Starnes (10-3-1)

Charles McCarthy (7-2-0) Vs. Michael Bisping (15-1-0)

Mark Bocek (5-1-0) Vs. Mac Danzig (18-4-1)

Joe Doerksen (39-10-0) Vs. Jason MacDonald (20-9-0)

Jason Day (16-5-0) Vs. Alan Belcher (11-3-0)

Ed Herman (15-4-0)
    Vs. Demian Maia (7-0-0)

Rich Clementi (38-12-1) Vs. Sam Stout (14-3-1)

Brad Morris (10-2-0) Vs. Cain Velasquez (2-0-0)

Kuniyoshi Hironaka (11-3-0) Vs. Jonathan Goulet (21-9-1)

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    You have to admit this is one of the weaker cards aside from the main event. Building the card full of people from canada/uk does that to cards.

No I don't - this is a great card. People are dumb...

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

how can you call this a weak card? i don't understand your weird logic there. you've got st. pierre trying to avenge a devastating loss, travis lutter and rich franklin...both of which i enjoy watching and franklin is one of the better 185'ers out there, bisping's 185 debut...which is where he should have been to begin with, quarry, herman, stout, and a few other good fighters that i'm interested to see.

BG Level

I said aside from the main event. Normally there are like 2 other fights that I'm really excited about and a bunch of others that are very solid. But I don't see how it's possible to not sacrifice in fight quality when you are building an event around showcasing as many fighters from that country as you can. By pushing the Canadian factor I think the event is less good than it would have been in an American city. I'm not saying it will be a bad card to watch cause you can't tell how good the fights will be until it happens, but on drawing power alone it isn't an amazing card. Just looking at the recent UFN and ufc 84 which ufc 83 sits between you can see how some of the fights on both those other cards could have been added to 83 to make it overall better.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    I said aside from the main event. Normally there are like 2 other fights that I'm really excited about and a bunch of others that are very solid. But I don't see how it's possible to not sacrifice in fight quality when you are building an event around showcasing as many fighters from that country as you can. By pushing the Canadian factor I think the event is less good than it would have been in an American city. I'm not saying it will be a bad card to watch cause you can't tell how good the fights will be until it happens, but on drawing power alone it isn't an amazing card. Just looking at the recent UFN and ufc 84 which ufc 83 sits between you can see how some of the fights on both those other cards could have been added to 83 to make it overall better.
    i think you're looking too hard into this. most of the fighters aren't pushed in the "america v. canada" thing...there's just a couple of those and most of those i'm really excited to see. (stout, st. pierre) it may not be as strong as the last card, but you can't expect a supercard every single time out...it's a solid card that'll surprise a lot of people.

how can you call this a weak card? i don't understand your weird logic there. you've got st. pierre trying to avenge a devastating loss, travis lutter and rich franklin...both of which i enjoy watching and franklin is one of the better 185'ers out there, bisping's 185 debut...which is where he should have been to begin with, quarry, herman, stout, and a few other good fighters that i'm interested to see.
    I completely agree. Almost everyone on sherdog bitches and moans about this card, but I do really like it (not saying this because I'm going).

bump

SPOILERS

Goulet def. hironake via tko (strikes) rd. 2
    Velasquez def. Morris via TKO( strikes) rd 1
    Clementi def. Stout via Split Decision
    Maia def. Herman via Submission(mounted triangle choke) rd 2
    Day def. Belcher via tko ( strikes) rd 1
    Mcdonald def. Doerksen via TKO(strikes) rd 2 (landed 2 late strikes after the fight was stopped incoming shitstorm
    Danzig def. Bocek via submission (rnc) rd 3

bisping def. mcarthy via injury end of rd 1

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

That wasn't as good as I thought it might be

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

was a really good show to me...kept me entertained. first fight of the night that we got to see was really good and a great show opener. show kept a good pace and the crowd was really into it. i loved the chants and back and forth cheer/boo that the crowd kept up. after the starnes/quarry matchup the crowd booing starnes and cheering quarry when they showed them on the big screen was awesome. the chants during the main event were great as well. MMA needs this kind of atmosphere if it's going to thrive. ~21 thousand people is HUGE as well...it was their biggest show to date and showed that they can fill a good sized arena. i can't wait to see MMA in front of 70k+.

BG Level

6/6 for picks, if only I put money on it.

I wish GSP had beat up on Serra for longer than he had, oh well at least we know who is the real top guy at 170. Now I just gotta wait for the undercard fights to show up online so I can see the rest of the fights.