Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Fried Motherboard?

So the other day I left my computer on when I went to sleep; after about 40 minutes I heard the harddrive clacking away like something was processing, but I just ignored it and rolled over and went back to sleep. I was at my desktop when I turned the computer off by the way and I just turned off the monitor/sound.
    Yesterday morning I woke up to realize that the monitor was getting no signal at all. So I figured meh and just restarted it. When i restarted it, the monitor was getting no signal at all. I've been having driver issues with my new ATI HD 2400 Pro video card, so I just plugged the monitor cable into the onboard video card which I never had a problem with; just was set to default randomly at times, wasn't a bad card. Usually when I had to reinstall drivers this same situation happened, so I didn't think too much of it. I plugged in the monitor cord, still no signal. I was pretty pissed at this point and went about my day at work. At work someone gave me a free 24" CRT monitor (I guess they were getting rid of it), which was pretty sweet. So when I got home I tested out the monitor on both video card slots, thinking maybe my monitor just died (its 8 years old). Still nothing! At this point I really started to wonder if the motherboard was fried or something. I took out each stick of RAM (both Kingston 512MB) and looked them over and saw nothing wrong with them. I tried each of them in different slots to test the RAM...No change. I bumped the 0 button on my power supply at this point as I was setting the computer back up. Whoops, so I switched it back to 1 and tried to turn the computer on again. This time, the fans continuously cycled hardcore as if I had just started it up; they didn't stop. Usually my fans run REALLY loud for 5-10 seconds and then they quiet down. But they didn't quiet down at all. So at this point, I had a friend come over to look at my PC (I'm not a pro with hardware), and he took out my motherboard and looked it over; we didn't find any problems with it, it looked fine. But looks can be deceiving nowadays I guess. But anyway, we put it back in. He said he couldn't find the processor, but somehow I think he really couldn't find it. I'm pretty sure it's big enough that if it just fell out, I would've noticed it.
    So I looked into the issues I was having a bit with google, and talked to some other friends of mine. I came to the solution that my power supply died because it was barely meeting the requirements for my video card anyway. So I got home today, and swapped out my new video card and put my old power supply (the one I used before I got my upgraded video card) back in, and plugged the monitor into the onboard video card. No dice still; it's doing the exact same thing with the fans. So I'm pretty much at a loss to what the hell the problem could be; Maybe it really is the processor, I don't know anymore - It's the only thing I haven't been able to test, and I'm not exactly sure how to go about looking for it. And I think the only way I have to test it would be to put it into my windows lolMillenium PC, and I really don't know how that's going to work out seeing as how it's 9 years old. So yeah, anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance :/

Computer Specs by the way:
    New Video Card - ATI HD 2400 Pro
    Onboard video card - 6600GeForce
    Processor - AMD Sempron 3300+
    New Power Supply - Antec Basiq 350 Watt
    Old Power Supply - I'm not sure on the brand, but it's 200 watt - came with the computer.
    Both RAM sticks are 512MB of Kingston RAM.
    The computer itself is an Emachines T3304.

At this point, I really am debating going to get a new computer; but I really want to avoid that. But then again, if the motherboard or something really is fried, I guess I don't have a choice. Any help would be appreciated =D

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Re: Fried Motherboard?

Uh yeah, It's really hard to tell you what's wrong in these situations >_> Are there any indicator lights coming on the motherboard, any LCD codes (if your mobo has that)? Did you correctly reseat all the connections? Is the heatsink (big metal thing with a fan attached to it, sits ontop of the processor) correctly seated?

Does it post?

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

I don't see any lights coming on on the motherboard, though I honestly don't remember any showing up before, either. No LCD codes with it. I did correctly reseat all the connections...There's a couple cords that didnt go anywhere even when I first got the computer, though. Um, the heatsink looks fine, but I don't see a processor on top of it. It's the fan on top, then right under that is the metal bar things. I can see the metal bar things even from right around the edges of the fan. Maybe I am missing my processor? I'm not sure what posting is, either.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

The processor is under the heatsink, as long as you didnt take it out that's fine

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Okay, yeah I didn't touch that so the processor shouldn't be okay. That was my last thought that maybe I did lose the processor, so I'm out of ideas now .. :/

So, no beep at all?

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Nope. It's never beeped before though, so I'm not sure if it even has the function to do that.

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

I didn't do anything but attempt to turn it on again, and now it won't even turn on. Heh. I'm guessing something died.

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Nevermind, not sure what I did but it's turning back on. Just popped out the RAM to do another test on my other PC and put it back in and its turning on now. Not working really, same issue, but at least I'm getting power again.

Resident furfag
    BG Level

If you have a decent camera, can you take some shots of the motherboard?

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Yeah - When I get home from work today I'll take a few pics.

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Can't find my camera =(

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

When you fire up your Pc do you get lights and what sounds like your Hd wanting to boot or is booting. Do your fans on your system kick on and stay running? If you answer yes to both of them its most likely your Mobo going ro went.

If you have a spare pc you can test this out. Go onto your mobos and locate the lithium batteries. Then just swapped them out and see if that works. MY friends issue was the same as yours and the battery went on his rig. The system lasted long enough for us to rebuild him a new rig.

As for me I had the same issue. I went from part to part swapping it out til I got it down to the mobo and the CPU. At that point I just said F it and built a new rig.

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

I really don't even hear the HD..I just hear the fans going nonstop.

Resident furfag
    BG Level

The battery is not going to affect your computer's performance at all...

It's there because your BIOS settings are written on CMOS which is volatile, ie loses info when it loses power, so it needs the battery to save your settings anytime the computer is not plugged in. Even when turned off, your computer will draw between 2-15w for the CMOS memory and other low level devices such as some PCI cards, etc.

(volatile not violate)

Resident furfag
    BG Level

Sorry it was late.

My way sounds like more fun though.