BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Randomly taking damage from Tiamat?

Has anyone had this problem, specifically melee?

Tiamat is the only thing I notice that seems to randomly attack people without animation, or the damage showing up in the log. No chat filters on, no animation of getting hit, no draw in, just randomly taking massive damage or instantly dying for no reason other than being countered or pulling hate

edit: this also has happened to me while tanking... mysterious disappearing shadows

Naver

Re: Randomly taking damage from Tiamat?

Seen this myself too, for some reason I believe it's kind of like a Counter. Just doesn't show up in the log. Somewhat like Genbu's hidden counter.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

May have something to do with the terrain difference between the tanks and the mages. At the bottom of the slope, depending on where you are stood, you can hit with tebbad wing and inferno blast even if you are well out of range. Funny seeing tod mules or people afk getting the tod die 35 yalms away from tiamat because of tebbad wings. Unless you are talking about something else, I think this is what you mean? Sometimes the damage from getting hit like this won't show up in the logs.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

he counters. don't engage.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by In Flames
    May have something to do with the terrain difference between the tanks and the mages. At the bottom of the slope, depending on where you are stood, you can hit with tebbad wing and inferno blast even if you are well out of range. Funny seeing tod mules or people afk getting the tod die 35 yalms away from tiamat because of tebbad wings. Unless you are talking about something else, I think this is what you mean? Sometimes the damage from getting hit like this won't show up in the logs.
    Nah its not TP move related, im talking about normal melee swings

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Yeah it's hidden counter attack... I've had it happen on THF before when I haven't disengaged fast enough after WS. Im pretty sure i've taken some 900+ dmg hits when MS was up from the counter... not fun right after a stacked Souleater WS.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Retaliate go!

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Stelaereous
    he counters. don't engage.

QFT, or tank it backwards. I am always weary at the start of a tiamat when 20-30 people are spamming him mobs have a habit of turning yellow without anyone engaged for stupid reasons. (especially if you sleep him at the start as the ally is building)

As far as if your a melee on him, just get used to it, your gonna die. the best is to have a SAM or /SAM WS/SC only

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

if its a hidden counter it should still show up in the log shouldn't it? does genbus?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

It does not show up in the log. you just take the damage. I suspect Tiamat of 3rd party tools

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Stelaereous
    She counters. don't engage.
    fixed.

Quite a few other mobs have this as well, like Omega and I think Ultima (?). I know Omega does.

It's not very frequent though, maybe a 5% rate or something. I always engage while facing it on NIN regardless, just because my parry rate far outweighs getting countered anyway. And I've only seen it happen like <5 times ever in over 100 kills on NIN.

But then again, my accuracy with staff is pretty lose!

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin
    Quite a few other mobs have this as well, like Omega and I think Ultima (?). I know Omega does.

It's not very frequent though, maybe a 5% rate or something. I always engage while facing it on NIN regardless, just because my parry rate far outweighs getting countered anyway. And I've only seen it happen like <5 times ever in over 100 kills on NIN.

But then again, my accuracy with staff is pretty lose!
    Now that you mention it I remember Ultima doing this once while I was on NIN... but haven't seen it from Omega yet, i'm sure he does the same though. So maybe even less than 5%? Off the top of my head I would say i've had it happen like 5+/- times on Tiamat, but on all of those I was playing THF. I think at least a couple of them I can recall were with MS up, so hi2u 900 to the face!

Ashira

Parry/Weapon Bash > a less than 10% rate of getting random counter, esp with Utsusemi /nod

/a go

TSwiftie
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Granted parry rate seems high on Ninja vs Tiamat, his counters take your blinks and won't show in log, which is slightly annoying. (Esp if youre 2boxing another character there.) You can Weapon Bash w/o being engaged though. That being said, Tiamat isn't exactly hard to tank with Slow + Elegy on it. So anything works~

Ashira

Quote Originally Posted by Kirschy
    You can Weapon Bash w/o being engaged though.
    Oh yeah, I always forget that. I had this long discussion about it on our last Tia as I recall. Never really understood that. Weapon.. on back... but bashing ok.

What am I confusing it with then I wonder.. maybe just the parry procs. So wonky.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

You can bash without facing the mob as well.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

yeah the disappearing shadows are definitly annoying. ive been called crazy more than once for yelling over vent wondering why i got hit when i was supposed to have an extra shadow

omega's counter shows up in the log though but i wonder why tiamat's does not

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

This happens to me all the time. But I really notice it while I am on bst. I will take a crit hit and the mob doesnt move in my direction. I will have no shadows or I take damage but its not anywhere in my log.

Call it lag, delay or a missin packet who knows why it happens. I just find it odd I notice it all the time on solo days with Bst.

I'm a big fan of the shadow counter which clears my last shadow and then he gets a DA when MS is up and basically 1 shots me.

Fun stuff.