Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elemental Seal Question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Elemental Seal Question

I always believed elemental seal was 100% stick on next spell, barring mob immunity or resist trait(which is % based and will always proc), is this not the case? I ask because earlier tonight I used ES sleepga 2 on a bunch of adds for Za'dha Adamantking(ls member found him up doing LB3 for a friend), he resisted. While building hate on my other character, I managed to stick sleep 2 accidentally and it intrigued me. No screenshot of first sleepga 2, but I did 3 attempted ES sleeps with my blm mule, none of which worked. I'm assuming I've just been wrong for all this time, but I've never seen ES elegy resist and I've used it on a brd mule as low as level 60.. as a note, none of the resists gave the Resist! message associated with resist sleep trait, neither the elemental seal or resists used when building hate.

http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 557ld6.jpg
    http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 819pe1.jpg

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Re: Elemental Seal Question

I believe the wording for ES is something like "Enhances the accuracy of the user's next spell". So even though most of the time it seems 100%, it's not.

Still pretty weird an ES sleep was missed and a regular sleep wasn't, lol.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

ES raises the accuracy of your next spell to the cap, which is 95%. Like most things in this game, nothing is ever 100%. Even an ES anything still has a 5% chance to resist.

Yea, just seemed weird. I've never seen an ES resist before on a non-immune mob, and this time I got 4 of them(3x test, one accidental when sleeping adds) @_@ Granted, Myame is an extremely gimp mule with nothing resembling enfeeb gear, but if a BRD60 can stick elegy at cap naked it shouldn't matter <_>

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Yeah, Elemental Seal makes it very likely to stick (95%) but not 100%. I've also always found regular Sleep to be far less accurate than Sleep II to begin with. (Sleepga and Sleepga II, the same, naturally)

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Just fourth'ing the thread. Decades ago we claimed a faf somehow with all mages, rdm/whm/blmx6 and NO ONE ELSE. We tried to manaburn it but ES/sleep stopped sticking after like #7.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer
    Just fourth'ing the thread. Decades ago we claimed a faf somehow with all mages, rdm/whm/blmx6 and NO ONE ELSE. We tried to manaburn it but ES/sleep stopped sticking after like #7.
    That's nothing to do with Seal's accuracy, it's because Fafnir builds resistance to Sleep with every consecutive use. As already stated, Elemental Seal greatly increases magic accuracy, it doesn't 100% ensure an unresisted spell on very resistant mobs (I've seen resisted ES'd nukes on Nidhogg, for example).

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Is the magic accuracy cap really 95%? I've been doing a lot of soloing on my wife's character recently and it seems I get an enfeeble resist on RDM maybe once every 100 spells or something. I'd be inclined to believe that magic accuracy caps at 99% rather than 95%. I must have cast at least 50-60 Poison IIs on Ix'aern MNK in the last few days, and I haven't seen him resist it a single time either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl
    I've also always found regular Sleep to be far less accurate than Sleep II to begin with. (Sleepga and Sleepga II, the same, naturally)
    I have no evidence whatsoever, but my impression is the same, Sleep/ga lets me down a lot more often than Sleep/ga II.

@Wizerd: No evidence on that either, just a certainty that there's a cap. I think we've just assumed it'll be 95% like melee attacks, but you may be correct, I don't think I get resisted 1/20.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocl
    I've also always found regular Sleep to be far less accurate than Sleep II to begin with. (Sleepga and Sleepga II, the same, naturally)
    I have no evidence whatsoever, but my impression is the same, Sleep/ga lets me down a lot more often than Sleep/ga II.

@Wizerd: No evidence on that either, just a certainty that there's a cap. I think we've just assumed it'll be 95% like melee attacks, but you may be correct, I don't think I get resisted 1/20.
    It just seems like a 1/20 resist rate minimum would make a lot of the stuff BLMs and RDMs do solo/duo in this game a lot harder, when it really isn't that hard. Whereas a 1/100 resist rate minimum wouldn't make or break much, and if it did, only once every several battles. I'm inclined to run tests on it, but then I remember stories of crafters who went 2/10 on Genie Weskit, and those who went 0/200. <_<;

I don't think ES is capped at 95% personally.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

What a coincidence. 1 resist out of 100 spells on lv0 Huge Hornets and Tunnel Worm. <_< Cast #40, Sleep on a Tunnel Worm. Saddest resist ever.

TSwiftie
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

There was a thread about this a while ago, I'm sure someone could probably find it. But it just increases the accuracy. This accuracy just happens to cap at 95%. If you take a Lv 20 BLM up to Jormungand and try to ES Sleep, majority of the time it won't land. The extra accuracy in this case doesn't come close the 95% cap.

Wizerd, 100 x ES goooo, you have 1k minutes to spare, right?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    Wizerd, 100 x ES goooo, you have 1k minutes to spare, right?
    I don't think ES is gonna enhance accuracy on a lv0 mob <_<.

Nah, you'll use the ten minute recast time to warp & OP back to Xarcabard, then run back up to Jormy ^_~

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

As Kirschy says, personally I don't believe Elemental Seal automatically brings magic accuracy to the 95% cap but rather grants a very substantial increase to your existing magic accuracy level which, for a level 75 character, will usually cause magic accuracy to cap out.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Wizerd
    Is the magic accuracy cap really 95%? I've been doing a lot of soloing on my wife's character recently and it seems I get an enfeeble resist on RDM maybe once every 100 spells or something. I'd be inclined to believe that magic accuracy caps at 99% rather than 95%. I must have cast at least 50-60 Poison IIs on Ix'aern MNK in the last few days, and I haven't seen him resist it a single time either.
    It probably is 95% like melee accuracy. Even though the law of averages state you should miss 1/20, that doesn't mean it will happen. That means you should get a ridill to drop out of your first 20 kills, however our ls got it like the 34th or some shit. My rdm's enfeebling setup is pretty nice, and I've gotten some unexplainable resists here and there.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by drwaffles
    Quote Originally Posted by Raineer
    That's nothing to do with Seal's accuracy, it's because Fafnir builds resistance to Sleep with every consecutive use. As already stated, Elemental Seal greatly increases magic accuracy, it doesn't 100% ensure an unresisted spell on very resistant mobs (I've seen resisted ES'd nukes on Nidhogg, for example).
    This is two different points.

Immune and resistance are two different things. That being said, if you are completely taking any and all resistances out of the thread, then I don't believe ES caps at 95%. I have never seen ES sleep miss on anything I was trying to sleep that is, at that moment, still sleepable.

The question should be whether or not ES is 100% to overcome resistance (like it used to do on Tiamat, where 6 hour fights would happen because people would sleep on ground). I've never seen ES miss otherwise

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kirschy
    There was a thread about this a while ago, I'm sure someone could probably find it. But it just increases the accuracy. This accuracy just happens to cap at 95%.
    While testing Paralyze II potency, I never got one resist in 3000 casts on the clippers in Qufim Island, so I'd be very surprised if the cap is below 99%.