Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Charm and Magic Accuracy     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Charm and Magic Accuracy

Anyone know if Charm is effected by Magic Accuracy? I know that the elemental staff will effect it's accuracy, but I've got no clue as to whether or not magic accuracy will. I'm considering dropping 15,000 ampoule on Omega ring to replace my Light Ring, but if the magic accuracy won't help, then I won't. Unfortunately, I have no magic accuracy gear with which I can test this out myself (I imagine Gauge would make it pretty simple to do so).

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Silvermoon

Re: Charm and Magic Accuracy

I'm sure someone with RDM and BST at 75 could test this for you with the Wise Set/Goliard/Morrigan's as appropriate. Sadly my BST is 57 so I'm not sure how helpful that could be... and I have no intention of purchasing a Chasuble.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

The answer is no. The only thing that effects charm in any way is : CHR for accuracy, Light staff for hidden 10%/15% accuracy, "charm" + gear to extend the duration of charm, mob conning, and Resist Charm traits of the mobs.

Magic accuracy has no factor, period.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Silvermoon

Of course, there's the other law of Charm accuracy, which states that the closer you are to the next level or merit, the more likely it is you'll mischarm and die.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by siyual
    The answer is no. The only thing that effects charm in any way is : CHR for accuracy, Light staff for hidden 10%/15% accuracy, "charm" + gear to extend the duration of charm, mob conning, and Resist Charm traits of the mobs.

Sounds like you're pretty sure. When was this tested?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I really doubt magic acc on charm has ever been tested, bst main gets virtually no access to magic acc at all other than the +4 on balrahn's ring. Everything else has a stupid latent, or is stupidly rare; AV drop, einherjar ring, r/ex assault drop, etc.

If someone really wanted to test it, mage/bst with wise/nashira/morrigan's/whatever would be the best bet, but I can't imagine anyone bothering.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

TO be honest I have no idea if Int ties to charm rate, or charm duration. There is a small amount of it on the Bst AF. But knowing why its there is another story. It might just be their to boost the Bsts ability ot be more effective with a mage type subjob.

We know Chr increases the sucess rate of Charm. An Charm to my knowledge is not magic based. So Int effecting it seems unlikely. We also know that +charm gear effects the aloud time for you to have a pet under your control .

Testing if Int has any bearing on charm would simply be a matter of equiping nothing for 2 charms and seeing how long a mob last and what gauge scans as. An then equiping Osode and 2 Bst AF which is like +20Int and seeing if the mob stays charmed longer or gauges differently.

Ofg course this would be simple to test as Bst main, But not /Bst.

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Rags
    TO be honest I have no idea if Int ties to charm rate, or charm duration. There is a small amount of it on the Bst AF. But knowing why its there is another story. It might just be their to boost the Bsts ability ot be more effective with a mage type subjob.

We know Chr increases the sucess rate of Charm. An Charm to my knowledge is not magic based. So Int effecting it seems unlikely. We also know that +charm gear effects the aloud time for you to have a pet under your control .

Testing if Int has any bearing on charm would simply be a matter of equiping nothing for 2 charms and seeing how long a mob last and what gauge scans as. An then equiping Osode and 2 Bst AF which is like +20Int and seeing if the mob stays charmed longer or gauges differently.

Every AF has a useless stat on it. BRD +AGI. SMN +INT. Its just something that SE threw out on all the AF to make us go wut

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Code:
    75 RDM/BST(67) using Gauge on a Lesser Colibri

Naked                    "It would be difficult for Plight to charm the Lesser Colibri."
    CHR+10                   "It would be difficult for Plight to charm the Lesser Colibri."
    CHR+11                   "Plight might be able to charm the Lesser Colibri."
    CHR+10 M.Acc+14          "It would be difficult for Plight to charm the Lesser Colibri."

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

INT is a factor in Tame success rate.

Plight answered the question beyond a doubt though, thank you Plight.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Narse

INT is a factor in Tame success rate.

Plight answered the question beyond a doubt though, thank you Plight.
    Thats a new one to me. Where did you hear that from. Since nobody knows what trully effects tame. Not to mention its something one could never really test.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by elphaba
    This may seem a bit stupid, or maybe it's me, but charm is a ja, therefore not magical...

of course, that's just my catuition.
    Quick Draw is an ability, but is effected by Magic Attack Bonus (not sure if Magic Accuracy effects it but I imagine it would as well). Reguardless, it means that just because it's a job ability doesn't mean it can't have magical properties. As far as the Tame is effected by INT, it's just what I'd heard somewhere along the way years ago. I just assumed it was true.

i asked this once too, because i remember some information about obis affecting skillchain damage and some more dubious suggestions that they and macc gear could affect magical ws damage such as RLB. clearly some ws interact with mage gear in some fashion (i reference the skillchain, not the RLB stuff. don't remember where i got it and i remember not trusting it too much.) but only in some rare and specific situations. regardless, the testing above put the matter i'd wondered about to bed in about 4 lines. /clap and bravo. well done.

as for int affecting tame, the argument i remember reading centered around the following logic: "bst af head has +int on it and it enhances charm. therefore they must be related. plus, the icon is blue so i use ice staff and ice staff has int on it. therefore it is proven that int affects tame." while it may indeed be possible that int affects tame, i'm classing it in with the theories about +chr affecting macc (hey, it's on blm af hands! it must do something!) as "get some scientific proof and i'll think about it."

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Spekkio
    i asked this once too, because i remember some information about obis affecting skillchain damage and some more dubious suggestions that they and macc gear could affect magical ws damage such as RLB. clearly some ws interact with mage gear in some fashion (i reference the skillchain, not the RLB stuff.
    Magic ws like RLB can't miss, so I'm not sure what macc could do to them unless they can partial resist?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

as for int affecting tame, the argument i remember reading centered around the following logic: "bst af head has +int on it and it enhances charm. therefore they must be related. plus, the icon is blue so i use ice staff and ice staff has int on it. therefore it is proven that int affects tame." while it may indeed be possible that int affects tame, i'm classing it in with the theories about +chr affecting macc (hey, it's on blm af hands! it must do something!) as "get some scientific proof and i'll think about it."
    Thats like saying because my Ninjas AF body has Vit on it. That all Vit enhances D.W. Which we know isn't the case. So you can't argue because Tame success rate is on the same Pieces as Int that Int effects it.

Its still not proven what effects Tame sucess rate. Even your theory has no data to rpove it. There for I wouldnt bet my life on it. Besides its not like any Bst will ever care to test the theory because charm rarely fails so 1. Tame is rarely used, 2. Tame rarely fails, 3. wont make us go out and buy int gear, 4. Refuse to wait 10mins to test it over and over

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by siyual

I always thought light day and dark days effected charm rates too... maybe it was just a superstition of mine since i havent really played bst once i got it to 75...
    But definitely as you get closer to lvl'ing up or disbanding party, the chances of mis-charming and dying definitely go up.

The other thing is...
    The absolute easiest way to test if magic accuracy helps charm rate is to go BLM/BST and use elemental seal and try to charm an IT slime mob. Doesn't matter if your bst isnt fully capped at 75.
    It takes like 5-10 tries for a normal BST to charm an IT slime mob, so the chances of your un-chr equipped BLM to charm an IT slime would be close to 0.

I'd test it myself right now if i wasnt at work.

Thats like saying because my Ninjas AF body has Vit on it. That all Vit enhances D.W. Which we know isn't the case. So you can't argue because Tame success rate is on the same Pieces as Int that Int effects it.

Its still not proven what effects Tame sucess rate. Even your theory has no data to rpove it. There for I wouldnt bet my life on it. Besides its not like any Bst will ever care to test the theory because charm rarely fails so 1. Tame is rarely used, 2. Tame rarely fails, 3. wont make us go out and buy int gear, 4. Refuse to wait 10mins to test it over and over
    i think you misread what i wrote. i mentioned the arguement i commonly hear for why it's related. i didn't say i bought into it. in fact, i gave a counterexample in the text you quoted! i grant that it's possible, but not that it's in any way proven or even indicated from the above.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

i think you misread what i wrote. i mentioned the arguement i commonly hear for why it's related. i didn't say i bought into it. in fact, i gave a counterexample in the text you quoted! i grant that it's possible, but not that it's in any way proven or even indicated from the above.
    Sorry I misread it. I thought that was your main reason. But I know where your coming from because others have said the color ont he ability equals its strong element, What they were refering to is beyond me.

I just know Bst seems to act more differently then the rest of the jobs in FFXI. ITs the only job that I know of where its max level plays a role in it as a subjob. It also as mentioned above has this weird trigger that seems to know when a Bst is on a role, close to leveling, just leveling, and when RR wears off.

Just the other day I was doing O-Hat runs. We went 10 fights with 10 wins, and not once did I mischarm or loss charm on a pet. An these are amorphs which are the toughest mobs to charm and hold charm on. All my pets were tough or evan match. That night I went to the tree to cap off on merits when an hour in the session I had 3 mischarms in a row on a crab with a mob hitting on me. An the crab was D/C

Since I have been using RR and RR2 when I hit the 70' I used it 1 time. After that my Bst has died about 9billion times without it. It seemed like every level I deleveled. Just when I was about to hit 1k TNL. I died in the ugliest of ways.

Maybe Int is for resistance to mobs magic, maybe its figured into tame, maybe its figured into reward and in curing the status eliments on a pet. Who knows. I have long since given up on S.E's logic. Simply put 99.5% of the S.E staff working on this game isnt the original creators, ad I doubt they have a clue on the games mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Plight
    Code:
    75 RDM/BST(67) using Gauge on a Lesser Colibri

Naked                    "It would be difficult for Plight to charm the Lesser Colibri."
    CHR+10                   "It would be difficult for Plight to charm the Lesser Colibri."
    CHR+11                   "Plight might be able to charm the Lesser Colibri."
    CHR+10 M.Acc+14          "It would be difficult for Plight to charm the Lesser Colibri."
    Just to note, I was doing a test with Gauge a while back and as part of my control I found that Apollo's Staff didn't affect the Gauge message*, so unfortunately this isn't as conclusive as you'd think.

* I had something like CHR+7: "It would be difficult...", CHR+8: "Might be able...", CHR+7, Apollo's: "It would be difficult..." on a slime in Garlaige [S].

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Sargas
    Just to note, I was doing a test with Gauge a while back and as part of my control I found that Apollo's Staff didn't affect the Gauge message*, so unfortunately this isn't as conclusive as you'd think.
    Code:
    69 BST/WHM using Gauge on a Date Eruca

Naked                    "It would be difficult for Plight to charm the Date Eruca."
    CHR+12                   "It would be difficult for Plight to charm the Date Eruca."
    CHR+13                   "Plight might be able to charm the Date Eruca."
    CHR+12 w/ Apollo's       "It would be difficult for Plight to charm the Date Eruca."
    Sooo Gauge doesn't factor in everything. So much for that test.