+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

What system should I get online games for?

Sorry if this has been discussed to death elsewhere, if so, please link me and lock.

I currently have a 360 and will buy a PS3 when MGS4 comes out.

I'm wondering what type of games I should get for each system.

Obviously I'll get the system exclusive games for their system (any KOTOR sequel for XBOX, FF and MGS for PS3).

I'm thinking I'll get a non online game like GTA4 or Elder Scrolls for PS3 since I've heard it's a better system spec wise.

That leaves what I should do about online games like COD4 - what system has the most players and best performance online?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Re: What system should I get online games for?

360 has a better online setup and a larger community.

GTA4 will have a full online mode, btw.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

PC.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I have access to both systems, and I pretty much pick up any online game for the 360. Tired of waiting for Sony to get their act together on their online strategy, and Live is already there and fully integrated into all its games.

You might want to rethink GTA IV for PS3, too - the 360 is getting exclusive downloadable content. No real word on what it will consist of, but if you're a big fan of the series, Microsoft threw down the big bucks on exclusivity to get you over to the 360.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The PS3 will get the same downloadable content, 360 will just have it exclusively for a few months.

But as said above, PSN (Playstation Network) has some issues, and Sony seems slightly more focused on adding stupid features like Home instead of working on some of the connection issues people have. I'm willing to bet that Sony will get it's act together and fix the majority of the problems by June though, since a pair of high profile online games are coming out that month (Soul Calibur IV & Metal Gear Online).

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

They never really specified what the downloadable content for PS3 will be from what I recall. You seem to have heard that it will be the same content, just later. I heard it would just be different content - just some basics like new cars or new weapons maybe that will be available to both systems. It's really not clear at the moment (but then again, it's not even clear what content is coming to the 360 "exclusively").

Yeah, well, if you haven't been reading the MGO thread (and I'll agree this isn't really Sony but Konami's fault), it's clearly not working so well. I'm not expecting a real smooth launch. Also, Home has been delayed to Fall now. A year late with their answer to the five year old Live service.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

You want to get GTA4 for 360. The headset might ruin GTA4 for online play, I can already imagine a bunch of 10-15 year olds running around, talking trash and thinking their soo cool. But thats why you only do online w/friends. It's for the DLC w/will be 360 exclusive. They might add DLC via a blue ray disc for the PS3 also, but that has yet to be decided afaik.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Get the online games for the console you have more friends on, that's what I do (talking about the multiplat games obviously.)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I havn't read anything about GTA so forgive me if this is really far off but:

GTA4 is going to suck online, the little realism the game had will be fucked. imagine everyone in a city just driving around like dick bags shooting eachother, there has to be some rules like the players being cops and pulling over / busting people that are assholes in the game and get like a 24hour "you're in jail type" thing

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by senoska

GTA4 is going to suck online, the little realism the game had will be fucked. imagine everyone in a city just driving around like dick bags shooting eachother, there has to be some rules like the players being cops and pulling over / busting people that are assholes in the game and get like a 24hour "you're in jail type" thing
    This is really far off. Go read about it and bask in its awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePhil
    PC.
    Obviously.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

* Deathmatch
    * Team Deathmatch
    * Race
    * GTA Race
    * Mafia Work
    * Team Mafia Work
    * Turf War
    * Cops'N Crooks
    * Deal Breaker
    * Hangman's NOOSE
    * Car Jack City
    * Bomb da Base II
    * Free Mode
    Eh, mini games, wonder what free mode is like. I cant seem to find good information about it. It doesn't really matter to me sadly, I don't have the money to buy an xbox or a ps3 right now Fuck I don't have a console anymore, I gave my ps2 to my brother. I do however have a kickass PC, but I doubt GTA4 would come out for PC

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

* Deathmatch
    * Team Deathmatch
    * Race
    * GTA Race
    * Mafia Work
    * Team Mafia Work
    * Turf War
    * Cops'N Crooks
    * Deal Breaker
    * Hangman's NOOSE
    * Car Jack City
    * Bomb da Base II
    * Free Mode
    Eh, mini games, wonder what free mode is like. I cant seem to find good information about it. It doesn't really matter to me sadly, I don't have the money to buy an xbox or a ps3 right now Fuck I don't have a console anymore, I gave my ps2 to my brother. I do however have a kickass PC, but I doubt GTA4 would come out for PC
    Well you have specific things to do in these minigames.. and they're not your average boring "capture the flag" games either, so it'll be pretty nice checking all those out.
    It won't be as simple as having everyone driving around like idiots trying to ram into each other.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Alot of GTA4s online modes kind of come down to variations on Cops and Robbers, usually revolving around the mob having to protect their Boss from the Cops or a rival gang.

Though, truthfully I don't care too much since I have no plans of buying GTA4 since I dislike the entire series.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

There's also a few co-op missions for online (I don't think they can be done with local multiplayer). Sounds like you play as Nico, and someone else plays some of the other supporting characters from the game. Unlike the co-op nonsense in San Andreas, you have an actual objective to complete this time.

Only sounds like there's a handful of these, though.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

It seems as if there is a lot of variations in MP mode for GTA4, cops/robbers seems like a blast and so do a few others. Granted, as like any online variation, there will be some modes that totally suck, but you have to expect there to be those few modes.

Furthermore, the online to GTA4 just seems like "icing on the cake" in a way. Its the single player that has my attention.

Masterofshade

I have a ton of fun with CoD4, but I'd go with 360 or PC. Depending on your budget, I'd go with PC, but if you're a touch tight on funds, a 360 will do very well, as a high end PC (if you put it together yourself) can easily breach the 1.5k mark.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

People play GTA4 for the realism? I thought they played it because you can murder hookers for their cash and get away with it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Correction

People play GTA4 for the realism? I thought they played it because you can murder hookers for their cash and get away with it.
    I played it for the flamethrower and running around spamming it in town.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

nah, definitely the hookers