BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Hillary Clinton: Sure, I'd NUKE Iran.

In an interview on last night's Countdown with Keith Olbermann..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbZ7qMGyEtI

"....Well, what we were talking about was the potential for a nuclear attack by Iran, if Iran does achieve what appears to be it's continuing goal of obtaining nuclear weapons, and I think deterrence has not been effectively used in recent times, we used it very well during the Cold War when we had a bipolar world, and what I think the president should do and what our policy should be is to make it very clear to the Iranians that they would be risking massive retaliation were they to launch a nuclear attack on Israel. In addition, if Iran were to become a nuclear power, it could set off an arms race that would be incredibly dangerous and destabilizing because the countries in the region are not going to want Iran to be the only nuclear power. So I can imagine that they would be rushing to obtain nuclear weapons themselves. In order to forestall that, creating some kind of a security agreement where we said, 'No, you do not need to acquire nuclear weapons if you were the subject of an unprovoked nuclear attack by Iran the United States and hopefully our NATO allies would respond to that as well.' It is a theory that some people have been looking at because there is a fear that if Iran, which I hope we can prevent, becoming a nuclear power, but if they were to become one, some people worry that they are not deterrable, that they somehow have a different mindset and a worldview that might very well lead the leadership to be willing to become martyrs. I don't buy that, but I think we have to test it. And one of the ways of testing it is to make it very clear that we are not going to permit them, if we can prevent it, from becoming a nuclear power, but were they to become so, their use of nuclear weapons against Israel would provoke a nuclear response from the United States, which personally I believe would prevent it from happening, and that we would try to help the other countries that might be intimidated and bullied into submission by Iran because they were a nuclear power, avoid that fate by creating this new security umbrella."
    I'll hold my opinion for later in the thread.

Re: Hillary Clinton: Sure, I'd NUKE Iran.

I think it's been said before but ww3 is comign out of the middle east and it'll be nuclear

Ridill
    BG Level

A. She basically said we have to tell Iran that if they nuke Israel we nuke them... Not just randomly "would you nuke Iranz? lulz hell ya!"

B. lolwarcry merits... wait wut

Ridill
    BG Level

she's talking about nuking in response to another nuke being used. which I dont see a problem with. I dont really like Hillary too much, but Ive got no complaint against that statement. a hypothetical statement at that.

that being said.. omgz world wide nuclear war in 2012 when Hilary launches all of the U.S. nukes at the middle east before her term is up.

ib guartz & sunbl1nd & Firas

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    ib guartz & sunbl1nd & Firas

LOL You beat me to it!

Axis of nub?

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Souj
    that being said.. omgz world wide nuclear war in 2012 when Hilary launches all of the U.S. nukes at the middle east on her period.

Ashira

"....their use of nuclear weapons against Israel would provoke a nuclear response from the United States, which personally I believe would prevent it from happening, and that we would try to help the other countries that might be intimidated and bullied into submission by Iran because they were a nuclear power, avoid that fate by creating this new security umbrella."
    Bold a different part and reread it.

Iran using nuclear weapons would likely cause a US response in retaliation, and them knowing it would hopefully prevent such an event happening.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Towards the beginning, the fear of an arms race in the Middle East should be dealt with seriously.

...if Iran were to become a nuclear power, it could set off an arms race that would be incredibly dangerous and destabilizing because the countries in the region are not going to want Iran to be the only nuclear power.
    If Iran is able to nuke Israel and nobody else does something about it, I guarantee other nations in the area will be pushing for nuclear technology to protect themselves. If the US and/or NATO can prevent such an action to occur, then I'm all for nuking Iran (should such an incident occur).

Honestly, if the people of Iran know it will happen (nuking Israel), they should be getting the fuck out of there if they can.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Israel has it's own means of nuclear retaliation, so while an American strike wouldn't be out of the question should something terrible actually happen, it's not something needed to be said, especially when you're trying to get people to vote for you.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If Iran tries to nuke Israel, they'll do the same in return.

Nobody is stupid enough to start a nuclear war there (or are they?)

Gogo MGS4?

Fuck Israel, cut ties and let them be their own nation.

Problem solved.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

OK here's my take on the whole thing.

I am absolutely opposed to nuclear proliferation and retaliation; that is to say I am opposed unequivocally to the creation of new nuclear weapons, the use of any such weapon, and the threat of using such a weapon regardless of a corresponding threat or attack. I'd like to see every single device currently in existence dismantled in some fashion. Hell, if we could safely remanufacture the fissile material in such devices into a relatively clean source of cheap energy I'd be all for it because I don't have a problem with nuclear power as long as it's done using the safest, most efficient methods available.

So, when someone like Hillary Clinton says she'd be willing to use these weapons in response to an attack using such weapons, even if it is meant to be a deterrent on the mutually-assured-destruction scale, I can have nothing but contempt for the statement. Not only does it go against the beliefs I've stated above, but honestly how productive is it to threaten another government into a position where they will DELIBERATELY research and create such weapons?! This is EXACTLY the same policy that the current fucktard president has taken.

Plus, we're talking about Iran here. I've got no problem with the people, but their government is run by a megalomaniac and a cadre of religious fundamentalists. Oh, and how secure would such devices be if they were to exist in Iran - how does anyone know they wouldn't be stolen by REAL FUCKIN CRAZY BASTARDS LIKE AL QAEDA?!

NO. Just no, Hillary. Having you in a position to hold your finger to the button is something this world cannot afford.

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Beckwin
    Israel has it's own means of nuclear retaliation, so while an American strike wouldn't be out of the question should something terrible actually happen, it's not something needed to be said, especially when you're trying to get people to vote for you.
    What, honestly answering a question isn't a good thing? It's not like she went out and said it in a stump speech. There is nothing wrong with what Hilary said.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Sooner or later, shit's going down. Iran or North Korea. Maybe some underdog who nobody has their eyes on will nuke their enemy. The point being, the longer these batshit insane weapons hang around, the more likely someone is going to push the button.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Plus, we're talking about Iran here. I've got no problem with the people, but their government is run by a megalomaniac and a cadre of religious fundamentalists.
    So, another Iraq war? Thousands of more soldiers killed because you didn't want to retaliate with the absolute method?

There's no good way to prevent any of this. The world doesn't revolve around values, and that's just how it's going to be for the rest of our civilized lives. There may be better methods than a nuclear retaliation, but how far do we have to go to come to an agreement to disarm nuclear powers? Hell I don't even know if I'll see such an agreement in my lifetime, either.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You can't just play world police anytime and anywhere you want, either.

Demosthenes11

I hate the bitch and I agree

This has nothing to do with world police - I would hope the UN would finally step up to the table and all come to the same conclusion.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    If Iran tries to nuke Israel, they'll do the same in return.

Nobody is stupid enough to start a nuclear war there (or are they?)

Gogo MGS4?
    If someones stupid enough to strap bombs on themselves and run at people, I 'm very sure their are people that won't hesittate to nuke anything in range if they had the chance.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

As much of a tool box as Hillary is, this isn't even close to what you're making it out to be, which might make you an ever bigger tool box. I'm adding you to my list of people who sit around jerking themselves and each other off over these kinds of threads, along with guartz and sunb1ind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast