+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skeptologists TV Pilot     submit to reddit submit to twitter

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Skeptologists TV Pilot

Hopefully this doesn't come off too Guartz-esque, but this post is a bit of unabashed promotion whoring on my part. Skeptologists is a TV show which recently finished making a pilot episode and is now being presented to networks. If the idea of the show interests you, send an e-mail via the support page which will be used to represent what kind of built-in audience the show may have. It's an American produced show, but feel free to send an e-mail even if you live outside the U.S. As I understand it, countries like the U.K. Australia, and others have their fair share of homeopathy, and crap medicine too.

http://www.skeptologists.com/support.php

The concept seems like a sort of hybrid of "Penn & Teller: Bullshit!" and "Mythbusters". So if you like those, it might interest you. The big difference would be Skeptologists features actual, practicing scientists to back it up. At one time, networks like Discovery, A&E, TLC, and History channel represented a kind of academic standard on t.v. Now however, they're host to all kinds of lame, and weirdly out of place programs glutted in credulous pseudoscience. I for one, have had it with shows like "Most Haunted Live" where a mousy english woman scampers around in the dark pretending to hear ghosts.

Thanks

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Re: Skeptologists TV Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by skeptologists.com
    Cast:
    Dr. Steven Novella
    Dr. Michael Shermer
    I'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine
    I for one, have had it with shows like "Most Haunted Live" where a mousy english woman scampers around in the dark pretending to hear ghosts.
    "Most Haunted" had its own great contribution to scepticism a few years back when it was revealed that Derek Acorah, one of their "mediums," was in fact an immense fraud: before the filming, he'd been fed misinformation about a non-existent ghost of "Kreed Kafer" by the show parapsychologist. This was later revealed as firstly an entirely fictional "ghost", and secondly an anagram for "Derek Faker."

That was entertaining enough, but the show has continued to suck since then. I'll do the e-mail support for this thing: if it's even half as good as "Bullshit!", it can't be bad.

Edit: lol @ Digg page:
    I am stuck in the bible belt of the US where people sometimes seem to have just slightly more teeth than IQ points. I really hope this show sees the light of day.

The cast isn't interesting.

The subject matter is mildly interesting.

What are you selling?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

That's pretty funny, I didn't know about that. I've always figured that show is just much too ridiculous for anyone to really believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cochise
    The cast isn't interesting.
    The subject matter is mildly interesting.
    What are you selling?
    It's a TV pilot with some semblance of integrity. Something rarer than any sasquatch/alien hybrid baby. The cast probably does seem pretty bland if you're unfamiliar with them, but they are all fairly well known among internet nerds. That is fine with me. I'd rather that than they try to cast people some industry bozo thinks will appeal to the masses.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

As long as its better than the fraud known as 'Man vs Wild with Bear Grylls', i welcome it.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos
    As long as its better than the fraud known as 'Man vs Wild with Bear Grylls', i welcome it.
    All TV is incredibly fake, just to different extents. It's easy to forget that.

Anyways they're holding a contest now to design a new logo if any stylish people are interested.
    http://www.skeptologists.com/logo.php

Well even if the cast can somehow grab an audience... what are you gonna try to debunk that hasnt been chewed up and spit out a 1000 times...

I watch Ghost Hunters because the 2 guys are so ordinary and boring they don't get in the way of the story...

Your show seems to be focused on the skeptics so why should i watch?