Is this shit for real?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Re: MK vs DC

I believe so

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Have there been any halfway decent MK games since MK 2?

I didn't care much for MK3's combo system.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The real kick in the balls about the game for me was that it isn't going to sport an M ERSB rating.

GameSpot has a little preview on it, although the snippets about the gameplay is vague.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

yea how do you make a T rated MK game.

Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by izembo
    yea how do you make a T rated MK game.
    Finishing moves reportedly include hugs, and kisses on the cheek.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

no fatalities in it either =(

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It kind of ruins the whole appeal of the game though. What's the point in even branding it with MK when you can't even rip Superman's limbs off for a Fatality?

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha
    It kind of ruins the whole appeal of the game though. What's the point in even branding it with MK when you can't even rip Superman's limbs off for a Fatality?
    UH CAUSE HE'S FUCKING SUPERMAN? How do you rip off his arms, shit.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Metah
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha
    UH CAUSE HE'S FUCKING SUPERMAN? How do you rip off his arms, shit.
    Which begs the question of the merit behind crossing over these two particular universes in 2008

This project reeks of 'the idea came up in 1998 to compete with MvC but we didn't get the contracts and licenses done until last year.'

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

While simple, the gameplay in the last few MK games has been quite good.

And honestly, you get Batman in a fucking fighting game. While few of my fantasies involved Scorpion vs. say... Green Arrow, I still think it's cool to get a DC comics fighting game from a developer who actually knows what they're doing.

Say what you want about Mortal Kombat 3 & 4 (though truthfully MK4 wasn't that bad at release), but the Mortal Kombat series has brought plenty of good ideas and many fun hours over the years.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor

And honestly, you get Batman in a fucking fighting game. While few of my fantasies involved Scorpion vs. say... Green Arrow, I still think it's cool to get a DC comics fighting game from a developer who actually knows what they're doing.

Say what you want about Mortal Kombat 3 & 4 (though truthfully MK4 wasn't that bad at release), but the Mortal Kombat series has brought plenty of good ideas and many fun hours over the years.
    Ultimate MK3 was still best in the series imo, went downhill from there. Removing legacy MK things like blood and fatalaties, may as well remove the MK name from the game and just have a DC fighter developed by midway with bonus unlockables from MK.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Whoopsie.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik

Ultimate MK3 was still best in the series imo, went downhill from there. Removing legacy MK things like blood and fatalaties, may as well remove the MK name from the game and just have a DC fighter developed by midway with bonus unlockables from MK.
    If 3 didn't have such a retarded combo system (read : 100% damage combos) it would have been good, but I can't accept a fighting game with such glaring imbalance as that as "good." There were also a lot of glaring bugs throughout all of the various incarnations of MK3 that they never fixed.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik

If 3 didn't have such a retarded combo system (read : 100% damage combos) it would have been good, but I can't accept a fighting game with such glaring imbalance as that as "good." There were also a lot of glaring bugs throughout all of the various incarnations of MK3 that they never fixed.
    Did someone say 'retarded combo system?'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE6cfHSfWV8

Yeah, this is why I lost faith at MK3...

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's been ages since I played MK3, but 60%+ on one string is a little ridiculous. I'm hoping that if you're actually fighting someone and not beating on a dummy that you can actually block to get out if a shitty combo like that?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Nope, a lot of combos are impossible to break out of (unless you block the first hit).

The only I was really impressed by was the Striker 80% combo, since it didn't rely on exploiting cheap pop moves in the corner.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Ok, that's just stupid then. >_>

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Has midway ever made a good fighting game?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

How can you say the last few MK games were "quite good", and than this? You realize deception and armageddon had infinites (read: 100%+ combos) discovered days after the release of both games? And don't even bring up balance, none of the MK games are remotely balanced, but you could win at least with anybody in UMK3, on the contrast look at fucking dairou in deception, completely unstoppable if the guy playing him isn't an idiot.

IMO, they are all terrible games, but at least UMK3 is fun to play. I find it really sad thou that MK still outsells real fighting game franchises by a huge margin.

EDIT: 100% combos in UMK3 were also quite hard to do, I doubt you ever could manage. Where as infinites in the recent games are retarded easy, like infinite puke puddles into stage fatality, or throwing in a corner.