+ Reply to Thread

Change in Major, needs advice

I am currently a comp sci major and am now thinking that I don't think it's what i want to do with my life anymore. Before I went to school, it was a toss up between programming or astronomy and I think I now regret not choosing astronomy. I have three semesters left to graduate as a comp sci major also. If I do change majors, I would be transfering to a cheaper school also if that helps.

I find myself much more interested in astronomy over computer science, I just love everything about the stars and space and just researching that topic.

I was doing research and it hasn't been too nice in the amount of jobs in astronomy. I was thinking of maybe majoring in physics and just focus on astronomy, but I still am not too sure of the actual job applications after school. I understand that I should go for PhD if I want to major in astronomy, how long does that take to get after you have your masters?

I am just wondering about job opportunites and if anyone here is in that field. Also just if anyone has any advice to help me make a decision.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

Re: Change in Major, needs advice

Undergrad degree in physics -> graduate degree in astronomy sounds like the way to go if you really want to switch. You should expect a PhD to take 5-7 years on average, including the time it would take to get a Master's which is a small portion of that time (also keep in mind that there is very little financial aid offered if you're going just for a Master's compared to a PhD which usually offers much more in the way of aid/stipends). The majority of the work is going to be doing a doctoral thesis, but if you know this is what you want to do, you should go for it.

Also, you probably COULD find jobs in the field of astronomy with just a B.S. or a Master's, but if you're looking to do actual research you really should go for a PhD. It's a very large commitment and you kinda have to hold up your life, but I suppose it's not really more demanding than if you were to want to have a serious business career, etc.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I occasionally regret not switching my major (which would have meant transferring) or just straight going for it when I started. Instead, I ended up going to a business school whose main focus was Finance, as a high school graduate interested in Psychology and Philosophy. When I finished up the core and started taking Finance courses, I wanted to drop out.

Junior year I switched my major to Management and took up a Psych minor, and things got much better. Not only did I get to study what interested me (there's a huge connection between Mgmt and Psych), but I still get all the perks of graduating with a Business degree from a top school.

I, however, never wanted to pursue a career in Psychology, Psychiatry, social work, or the like. If you just want to study Astronomy, take up a minor, or stack your free electives. If you want to do it for the rest of your life, get your Ph.D.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I don't mean to sound redundant, although it seems if you've taken your CS studies this far it might be a waste of prior investment to completely end it. Rather, you could complete it then go for a degree in Physics possibly, a lot of the GEC classes should overlap (at least for Engineering CS&E and Physics they do where I go). However if money is an issue I see where you would want to change it and switch paths, it's never too late for that either. However, iirc pursuing a PhD requires the person to have ~2 majors although I don't know the validity of that claim since well..it's early and someone will mention something after me, heh.

If you have the drive you could always do both, apply what you've learned in Comp.Science and put it towards Astronomy. Who knows maybe you could develop something new and afforadable and be insanely rich! :)

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

However, iirc pursuing a PhD requires the person to have ~2 majors although I don't know the validity of that claim since well..it's early and someone will mention something after me, heh.
    This is not true in general, though it may be true that PhD holders are more likely to have multiple undergraduate degrees than non-PhD holders. While it is true that you could get an undergraduate degree in something like CS and be able to go to graduate school for Physics, depending on how much Physics you've incorporated into your undergrad program you may have varying degrees of success/difficulty in transitioning to the grad level of a science like physics. Again, it really depends on what you want to do with the degree and whether or not the career path you want in astronomy really *needs* a PhD or if you could get by with just a Master's for what you ultimately want to do.

Ill give you some feedback from someone with alot of experience in both of those areas (and my wife is an astronomy nut).

If you like astronomy, i highly suggest a degree in physics. The Comp Science will cover most of your base courses, and make it so you only have the main physics and math classes to make up. Physics is also one of the most highly versitile undergraduate degrees for this engineering/science job market. If your interested in the space related fields, go into physics and go from there.

I highly discourage getting a B.S. is astronomy though, as the job market is almost non existant and even more competitive than the graduate degree market in astronomy(your going to be a professor or a telescope operator for 35k a year). Not to mention analyzing spectrum data and fighting for research funds in field that has one of the hardest times getting funding is very painful.

Determine what exactly you like about astronomy, get a physics degree, refine that love for whatever, and then focus your grad degree on that subject (but do a little research on the job market first, no one wants to go to school for 10 years to be unemployed). But the main point is, with astronomy or physics, a grad degree is almost required.

Good luck with your decision, and welcome to future debates on life, the universe, and everthing.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Yea, thanks for the clarification Quick, I wasn't sure regarding the specifics but I remembered reading something like that. You do mention a valid point too, concerning the desired career path and whether or not a PhD would enhance it. Its quite a large comitment that would require some looking into.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Just as others have said, you would be better of getting a degree in physics and applying that to astronomy than getting a degree in astronomy. I'm normally a "chose what you enjoy most" person, but the job market for astronomy is just not good enough. Also, you could always make astronomy your minor or use a double major.

Note that if you do get a degree in physics, a bachelors may not be sufficient. You're going to need something higher to have a good chance of finding a good career.

Edit: I just realized that I said pretty much exactly what Neosutra said but in a lot less detail. I'm in agreement with him, find what you like about astronomy and use your physics degree to study that. Honestly, astronomy is a big part of the reason I'm in physics. I've been really really really into space every since I could read. I always knew that I couldn't go to astronomy as a career though. One day I ended up in a situation where I had to find a book to read, and since I had always liked math, and since I had always liked science (astronomy in particular), I figured I'd like to read the physics book. I then realized that physics would be the perfect combination of the things I like, and it would lead to a possible career. When I first got into physics, I wanted to be an astrophysicist or cosmologist, though I eventually started leaning towards particle physics (which isn't too far from astrophysics or cosmology).

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

IMO, you should finish the degree you are almost done with, then try to apply for grad school in Physics. If you are truly serious about studying Astronomy, what's another 1.5 years to have a comfortable fall back position? Having a Comp Sci degree while you are studying Physics will be useful and big research companies absolutely LOVE multi-discipline degrees (trust me I work for one and here a degree in business and engineering >> just engineering >> just business).

You could easily get your Comp Sci degree, a minor in Physics, go on to grad school in Physics and then pursue a PhD in Astronomy, all the while making yourself much more marketable in the research field later.

I wish you the best of luck. Study hard.

I am at least going to grab a masters no matter what I decide to do, just a Bachelor's isn't enough now a days. My school only requires Physics I and Physics II, and that's not nearly enough for a physics major or to take a physics grad program etc.

I feel like I'm wasting my money taking computer science, I haven't learned anything in my major courses that I don't already know, or couild learn easily with a program. Most of my work is done by giving me a project, and I think of the way to implement, best language, algorithm methods etc which I could do on my own with independent projects.

But, finishing up my Comp Sci degree with a minor in physics sounds like a good idea. I know programming can be integrated into any and all fields since everything uses computers, and i know comp sci can help me no matte what i do.

I am going to talk to my advisor and see what is possible.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Makenshin
    I am at least going to grab a masters no matter what I decide to do, just a Bachelor's isn't enough now a days. My school only requires Physics I and Physics II, and that's not nearly enough for a physics major or to take a physics grad program etc.

I feel like I'm wasting my money taking computer science, I haven't learned anything in my major courses that I don't already know, or couild learn easily with a program. Most of my work is done by giving me a project, and I think of the way to implement, best language, algorithm methods etc which I could do on my own with independent projects.

But, finishing up my Comp Sci degree with a minor in physics sounds like a good idea. I know programming can be integrated into any and all fields since everything uses computers, and i know comp sci can help me no matte what i do.

The biggest misconception of people going after a Masters or PhD.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Keno

The biggest misconception of people going after a Masters or PhD.
    Depends on his field. I don't know about computer science, but if he does decide to go to physics, then it's actually true.

I highly encourage you do to what I did when I had a change-of-major crisis in college.

UCF had a Student Testing center that did, amongst other things, career and personality testing. I took two tests.

The first is the standard Myers-Briggs personality test. The purpose of this test was to tell me what kind of person I was, and to set me up for the second test.

The second test was similar (I forget the name, sorry), but what it did was show me how people in various careers scored on the same test, and then matched my answering patterns with certain careers in order to show me how people like me made a living. For me, I found that many people who answered like I did had careers in the arts, or in leadership (I found it very funny that the two of my top answers were Military General and Musician, two careers not so easily attained with a Bachelor's degree).

It was the BEST thing I could have done. I ended up going 180 degrees away from Engineering and into Communication/Marketing, and it was completely worth it.

I strongly suggest you talk to a school counselor (or go to a testing center if your school has one) about something like this. It helped keep my head on straight about my choices. :rocl:

I'm not just going for a masters to have one, I know they help in computer science, a lof of my friends in the field say companies love that god damned piece of paper, and I know physics will definately require one. Tomorrow im talking with my advisor to see what he says.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Hi. I was a PhD student (in evolution and developmental biology) for a number of years before realizing that I just don't like research. I decided rather than grinding out another two years and writing a PhD thesis and being done in 2.5-3 years, I'd be better off taking what I have, tossing out a Masters and just being done with it, then go find a job in industry.

So here's where my experience can help you. A lot of people think stars are neat. A lot of people want to be video game designers because they think games are cool. Doesn't mean they'll be good at it. In astronomy there are basically two major career paths: Education and Research. You need to sit down and really think hard about how you feel about those. FIrst, education will involve research anyway, so you're not getting out of that. Research is neat but it is NOT for everyone and it is NOT always fun like in movies. You need to think if those career paths are really what you are interested in. It would be a shame to spend years learning about something that you can't apply to a career- then you're just like every other history major out there applying for a managerial position at the mall (meaning your education doesn't do shit for you financially).

Now...if you really think you'd be interested in those career paths, you should drop what you're doing and find a professor at your school that does work in astronomy or find a local institution that does it and contact them. You should beg/plead/bribe your way into an internship- even if it's unpaid. It will be miserable grunt work but you'll be able to see the day to day workings of research in your field and it will pay off later.

It sounds like you're close to getting a bachelors in comp sci. I see no reason to abandon that, as it has it's applications within a research career in astronomy (especially considering the level of technology they work with). It can only help you in so many ways. First, if you do go on to get education in astronomy or physics, it makes you interdisciplinary,and thats a huge huge plus. Second, it provides you with a very useful degree for short term employment if you need the money/things don't work out in that field. If you bail on that you'd be putting yourself in a real hole down the road. Just not a smart move at all. Padding on the resume and a security blanket degree is something few people get to have in their back pocket when theywant to do something like this.

**Edit** also, a common misconception is that one must go from BS to masters then to PhD. You do not need a masters before doing a PhD. You can simply skip it and go for the doctorate- if you're in the field you want to be in, it's a good idea because it saves you half a year or so that you'd be preparing for a masters.

I know in most research sciences, the average PhD runs in total 5-6 years, I know someone who did a molecular biology PhD in 3 years, I know some other bio PhDs that took 8 years. A lot of it is up to the person, the hours they are willing to put in each day, and also a little luck in getting the experiments to work.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I am currently a comp sci major and am now thinking that I don't think it's what i want to do with my life anymore. Before I went to school, it was a toss up between programming or astronomy and I think I now regret not choosing astronomy. I have three semesters left to graduate as a comp sci major also. If I do change majors, I would be transfering to a cheaper school also if that helps.

I find myself much more interested in astronomy over computer science, I just love everything about the stars and space and just researching that topic.

I was doing research and it hasn't been too nice in the amount of jobs in astronomy. I was thinking of maybe majoring in physics and just focus on astronomy, but I still am not too sure of the actual job applications after school. I understand that I should go for PhD if I want to major in astronomy, how long does that take to get after you have your masters?

I am just wondering about job opportunites and if anyone here is in that field. Also just if anyone has any advice to help me make a decision.
    Thats funny because I completed my computer science major 2 years ago, and now doing one in physics. I dont regret changing at all, but I liked both domain.

PhD is usually 2-3 years after your masters, but studying at those level is more like a job than actually studying. It really depend of your profile and what you're doing. Just a warning, if you plan to go for theoritical physics and astronomy, don't expect to get any job other than teacher in a university. It's really fun, but it's not going to get you far. You have to do it because you love space, not because you want to get a job in that domain.

Also, make sure to get a look back at calculus at all the stuff you probably forgot during your computer sciences, you will need it really bad.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nystul
    I know in most research sciences, the average PhD runs in total 5-6 years, I know someone who did a molecular biology PhD in 3 years, I know some other bio PhDs that took 8 years. A lot of it is up to the person, the hours they are willing to put in each day, and also a little luck in getting the experiments to work.
    I have you for telling me that. Ignorance is (was) bliss

This means I'm going to be like 28 by the time I get my PhD

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

also, a common misconception is that one must go from BS to masters then to PhD. You do not need a masters before doing a PhD. You can simply skip it and go for the doctorate- if you're in the field you want to be in, it's a good idea because it saves you half a year or so that you'd be preparing for a masters.
    Stupid question, but does this apply to Science degree or any degree, because I've never heard of this.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie
    I have you for telling me that. Ignorance is (was) bliss

This means I'm going to be like 28 by the time I get my PhD

hey, it could be worse. I'm getting my masters in a week (just sent my paper to my committee this week, I defend May 7th!) and I'll be 31 in the middle of May. Oh well. Better to figure it out now than to be 35, trying to get tenure and hating my life because I hate what I do. But yea...a lot of it depends on luck. I got set back a whole fucking year basically because our lab tech (who is now fired, DUH) replaced a filter in our fish system with one that had been soaking in bleach and in a matter of hours we went to around 3k fish to ...350 or so, and we couldn't get them to spawn and we had to raise new ones etc...it's hard to do embryo work when you don't have embryos to work on. I know 2 guys that did 8 year PhD's- one had his PI die of pancreatic cancer about 4 years in, and was kind of orphaned. The other just didn't want to put the hours in and lacked focus. The girl who did the 3 year PhD- I'm not overstating this- worked in the lab for around 18 hours a day. She slept from like noon to 5 or so, and spent the night/morning in the lab (because there were fewer people around to get in her way). She was chinese and kinda crazy.

Stupid question, but does this apply to Science degree or any degree, because I've never heard of this.
    It applies to all as far as I know. I'm not sure though- some disciplines may prefer you do a masters? It certainly has it's place, especially if you are unsure of what you really want to specialize in. It gives you an opportunity to change institutions or focus etc. However, if you know what you want to do, I don't think you typically are forced to bother with the Masters.