• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Replaced motherboard, computer won't boot at all

So about a week ago when I turned my computer on in the morning all I got was a black screen, fans kept spinning and everything. Bought a new motherboard and replaced it today, I have an Asus P4P8X Socket 478 and replaced it with this. Using the same power supply, same CPU, same everything. I hooked everything up and the light on the motherboard lights up but when I press the power button nothing happens. No fans spinning or anything at all. Anyone have any clue what's wrong?:/

Re: Replaced motherboard, computer won't boot at all

is your motherboard making contact with your case?

It's seated properly, so I don't think it's touching anywhere it shouldn't be.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Make sure all the pin connectors to the mobo are properly seated especially the 24 pin main power and the 4 pin cpu power cable. If that doesn't work it's likely a bad power supply, if its not a grounding issue like asked above.

I checked like 10 times and matched the pins with what it says on the website, and everything matches up. The power supply was working with the previous motherboard because the fans would spin and everything, like it was working, but I'd just get a black screen.. but now when I press the power button nothing happens at all, so I don't think it's the power supply.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Start taking things off the mobo. Use 1 stick of RAM in the slot furthest away from the CPU, try a different graphics card. If all else fails remove everything including the ram and processor and see if it does anything different. If it still doesn't do anything (and you're sure you have a good power supply) your board must be DOA :/

EDIT: if you can, try starting the mobo outside of the case to completely eliminate grounding as your cause.

Tried removing things and it still wouldn't turn on, don't know if I can have it hooked up when it's outside of the case because some of the cables are really short..

Was looking and apparently that's not the motherboard I got.. this is http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...521363mv.shtml

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Casca Wolftamer
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I hope it is fixed now, if not, try to look at how much power your power supply unit can output, maybe it doesnt have enough power for all your stuff.

Also you never mention it so Imma go with the stupid question but are you sure you put good the thingy that goes from the front button of your comp to the mother board ? The first few times where I did something inside my pc this was my major problem. Sometimes it's really not clear on the manual and it could explain all (if you have a power button on your mothercard forgot what I said )

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Caprese Dionir
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Also check that you didn't wire the switch panel with the connectors upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyvian
    Also check that you didn't wire the switch panel with the connectors upside down.
    I knew there was a solution I couldn't think of that I was going to post, this happened to me on my last build, luckily my mobo has an onboard switch to turn it on and I found out thats what it was on bg later