+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trouble at the Republican Convention

Apparently, Ron Paul supporters are planning a protest of the Republican Convention in St. Paul:

Calling St. Paul. Come in, St. Paul. It seems there may be some trouble brewing for this summer's GOP convention in St. Paul, Minnesota. You see, another Paul is looming large on the horizon, threatening to stir up mischief at the August coronation of John, the would-be Baptist of that new and improved sect of Republicanism--Bush-Lite, for lack of a better term. As Paul's supporters learned from Guy Fawkes, surprise is the name of the game.

From The LA Times:

[quote:25z3jejg]Virtually all the nation's political attention in recent weeks has focused on the compelling state-by-state presidential nomination struggle between two Democrats and the potential for party-splitting strife over there.

But in the meantime, quietly, largely under the radar of most people, the forces of Rep. Ron Paul have been organizing across the country to stage an embarrassing public revolt against Sen. John McCain when Republicans gather for their national convention in St. Paul at the beginning of September.
    Yes, he was dissed by Fox News, taunted by his rivals, scorned in the press, but Ron Paul is not ready to stop preaching the gospel to his followers. In fact, the proselytizing continues apace, and St. Paul's stage is set to provide the Texas Congressman with ample microphone time.

His supporters are quick to add that Paul never actually dropped out of the race. No, he does not walk alone. The secret army continues to grow. Witness the recent protest votes in Indiana, where 23% of Republicans voiced their disaffection with McCain. In North Carolina the number was an even higher 26%.

Another libertarian messiah-in-waiting, Bob Barr, entered the race president today, giving the disaffected a glimmer of hope on what, to them, seems a set of woeful ballot choices.

But back to the Paul faithful. What exactly do Paul's guerrilla warriors plan to do come convention time?

They hope to demonstrate their disagreements with McCain vocally at the convention through platform fights and an attempt to get Paul a prominent speaking slot. Paul, who's running unopposed in his home Texas district for an 11th House term, still has some $5 million in war funds and has instructed his followers that their struggle is not about a single election, but a longterm revolution for control of the Republican Party.

In short, they hope for nothing less that a coup, and we're not talking de Ville, either. And hey, look who's #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List. If you thought that Paul and his supporters would simply slip back into the Republican tent and make nice with John McCain, you were a tad mistaken. With all the potential turmoil, it's a good thing that bars will stay open until 4 a.m. during the convention. One gets the sense that a few of McCain's supporters will need a good stiff one after dealing with the Paul crowd.
    [/quote:25z3jejg]

Source.

So, do you guys think this is acceptable? And I know that most of you aren't Republican, so if Mike Gravel's supporters tried this at the Democratic Convention, what would your opinion be?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Re: Trouble at the Republican Convention

I hope it makes at least some effect. The republican party is shit if we have more people like Bush in the spotlight.

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by pohibaba
    So, do you guys think this is acceptable? And I know that most of you aren't Republican, so if Mike Gravel's supporters tried this at the Democratic Convention, what would your opinion be?
    Gravel didn't generate nearly the same level of support that Ron Paul did, so I'd find it rather hilarious if the old man tried to steal the show. I heard him speak at a breakfast in New Hampshire (Gravel), and he literally, with a straight face, suggested that he would blow up the border fence along Mexico.

As for Ron Paul and his supporters, I hope they generate enough interest and enough support to kick-start a far more serious Libertarian movement, their platform owns.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Ron Paul supporters are so adorable.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yangsing
    Ron Paul supporters are so adorable.
    seriously, they make you want to round them all up for a giant group hug! then set it on fire.

can anyone tell me or link me to Ron Pauls stance on guns?

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Remyo
    Likely no regulations, no limits. Just like his stance on everything else (well except abortion)

In short, they hope for nothing less that a coup, and we're not talking de Ville, either. And hey, look who's #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List. If you thought that Paul and his supporters would simply slip back into the Republican tent and make nice with John McCain, you were a tad mistaken. With all the potential turmoil, it's a good thing that bars will stay open until 4 a.m. during the convention. One gets the sense that a few of McCain's supporters will need a good stiff one after dealing with the Paul crowd.
    ROFL

Libertarian platform has some decent standpoints, but all of the good stuff is offset by the whining nuances of their arguments.

"I hate taxes, therefore it unconstitutional RALLY AGAINST THE TOTALITARIAN GOVERNMENT GIMME MY RIGHTS BACK" is what I get from reading their issues.

Here you go.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

as a resident of st. paul i do not find this Republican Convention acceptable at all. if i didn't want to travel at a decent rate anywhere around town i would have moved to LA.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Zhais
    Libertarian platform has some decent standpoints, but all of the good stuff is offset by the whining nuances of their arguments.

"I hate taxes, therefore it unconstitutional RALLY AGAINST THE TOTALITARIAN GOVERNMENT GIMME MY RIGHTS BACK" is what I get from reading their issues.
    Yeah, fighting for a government that actually follows the constitution is merely just people whining about unimportant things.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike

Yeah, fighting for a government that actually follows the constitution is merely just people whining about unimportant things.
    Following the Constitution and destroying everything not outlined in the Constitution are two very different things.

Here you go.
    wow nice, though I do support the trigger lock act and the registration of firearms, but most other things look good.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxthepenguin

Following the Constitution and destroying everything not outlined in the Constitution are two very different things.
    The founders were not fans of big government. They wrote the constitution to include pretty much everything the government should do and nothing more. If the government needed to change things, that's what amendments were for. I'm pretty sure what the government does is still a LOT more than what the constitution and all amendments say it can do.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The founders were not fans of big government. They wrote the constitution to include pretty much everything the government should do and nothing more. If the government needed to change things, that's what amendments were for. I'm pretty sure what the government does is still a LOT more than what the constitution and all amendments say it can do.
    The founders sure as hell weren't unified against 'big government.' They argued constantly.

If the constitution was meant to be the only thing the federal government, it wouldn't have made statements saying what the federal government can't do since that would be included the 'everything else' that's not allowed.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Hey if Paul can undermine support for McCain, then that crazy old bastard might actually be useful.

There's rumor of a Barr/Paul Libertarian ticket, which would be fucking awesome (for Obama. and me.).

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

The founders sure as hell weren't unified against 'big government.' They argued constantly.

If the constitution was meant to be the only thing the federal government, it wouldn't have made statements saying what the federal government can't do since that would be included the 'everything else' that's not allowed.
    Ok ok, fine. The constitution does say what the federal government can't do. The rest is just what it shouldn't do.

I think this is pretty specific:
    Quote Originally Posted by The 10th Amendment
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckwin
    Hey if Paul can undermine support for McCain, then that crazy old bastard might actually be useful.

There's rumor of a Barr/Paul Libertarian ticket, which would be fucking awesome (for Obama. and me.).
    I'm very confident that Ron Paul won't run for the Libertarian Party which is perfectly fine with me because I'm a huge Bob Barr fan too.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I think this is pretty specific:
    Quote Originally Posted by The 10th Amendment
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
    Too bad the Supreme Court hasn't exactly ruled this way every time, otherwise we'd still have illegal abortions and segregated schools like in the good ol' days.