Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Re: Development Team Q&A - May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos
    18 people focused on claim > botters anyday right?

any day? no but botters arent 100% and the more you stay dedicated to it the more likely it is the botters will fail sooner or later. besides bots are good for what, 3 hnms? theres more to the game then just those 3

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by ursher
    18 people focused on claim > botters anyday right?

any day? no but botters arent 100% and the more you stay dedicated to it the more likely it is the botters will fail sooner or later. besides bots are good for what, 3 hnms? theres more to the game then just those 3
    Those 3 HNMs happen to be the most popular monsters in the game so why not do something about blatant cheating? All the flavor text in the world about cracking down on RMT yet the botters enjoy a penalty-free bot-spree on the 3 HNMs. Some people have better things to do than delude themselves into thinking they are going to claim something that is effectively being shut down, sitting and watching cheaters win daily isnt fun.

We can look the other way and say 'its only 3 HNMs' but the fact still remains that its a cesspool for failure and remains a huge sore thumb in FFXI. All the Einherjar in the world wont cover it up either.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Those 3 HNMs happen to be the most popular monsters in the game so why not do something about blatant cheating? All the flavor text in the world about cracking down on RMT yet the botters enjoy a penalty-free bot-spree on the 3 HNMs. Some people have better things to do than delude themselves into thinking they are going to claim something that is effectively being shut down, sitting and watching cheaters win daily isnt fun.
    And to add insult to injury, SE acts like this problem doesn't even exists, and relegates questions about this subject into the category of "whining about bad drop rates". I hope Bercus will follow up on this in the next interview and clarify that the primary grievance lies not in the overcompetition for kings per se (certainly a problem too) but in the fact that the same people get king claims day after day, week after week, year after year, with impunity, never getting the perma-bans they deserve for repeated, obvious, in-your-face use of 3rd party claim tools.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

The answer is simple...go back to the past and kill of all of the wyrms, behemoths, turtles, 3-headed dogs, and winged lions you see, teach the botters a real lesson. (the irony is that in order to do things in the past, we have to wait for the distant future for SE to actually implement something fun or useful.)

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You guys are totally looking at this the wrong way.
    You want instant fixes to the game's problems but SE has taken a gradual approach to their resolutions.

First, xp was slow.
    So they reduced the xp/lvl and introduced bibiki bay.
    While this was a great advace, it was not enough to meet the needs of the playerbase.
    So ToaU introduced super xp camps. Between those and the 2h buffs, just about everyone was able to see 15-30k/hr xp.
    This did in turn lead to camp crowding.
    SE's resolution was campain and WotG as a whole. Both reduced the strain on xp camps. One by giving players an oppertunity to xp at their leasure on any job they wanted without having to lfg forever. The other by pure suck causing many players to grow tired of ffxi.

Now that mostly everyone has 75 jobs people complain about end game equipment. Kings and Dynamis are popular areas of congestion. SE added CoP Dynamis, Nyzul Isle, salvage and einherjar. These may not have completely resolved the issues at kings and Dynamis congestion, but WotG has gone further in this. Look at my server. My ls and one other have claimed most of the Tiamats this year. A few weeks ago the leaders got fed up and rmt'd all their shit. With our LS gone, many other end game LSs now have access to timmy and will camp him reducing the strain in the Aery. Our ls was not the only victim of WotG. Along with the shear suck of WotG, SE gave us the blessing of the world transfer service. Many a LS sponsored Aegis' found their way to other servers. While this may not wipe out those promenant powerful LSs, it definately put a kink in their gears.

What's next? the death of what most already consider dead crafting? Though this wont bother any but the most dedicated crafters.
    The major end game community is the group causing all the fuss. Whether it's the hardcore crafters, HNM campers, or people trying to get glacier AF for their 5th and 6th jobs. The solution? Kill off the end game community. Then you have a game of happy casual players who dont care about content updates becuause they'll never get a chance to expirence it all anyway.

Kings, Sea, Salvage, & Einherjar aren't for the casual player. Campain is. 80 ppl in the Aery isn't anything to the 400 in Besieged.
    Who's paying the dev teams paychecks? You LS who 6 mans fafnir? The group duoing sky pop nms?
    I don't think so.

so, am i reading this right? your praising wotg's lack of content as an effective way to combat crowding?

Kings, Sea, Salvage, & Einherjar aren't for the casual player. Campain is. 80 ppl in the Aery isn't anything to the 400 in Besieged.
    Who's paying the dev teams paychecks? You LS who 6 mans fafnir? The group duoing sky pop nms?
    I don't think so.
    Quitting en masse won't fix any problems. It's like spraying a can of air freshener when your dog just dropped a steaming deuce in the house. Eventually you're gonna have to deal with the turd. With how SE behaves now, if people quit, they won't really panic to bring us back. Instead, they'll just close up shop and move on to their next project. It's not hard to get that vibe when you feel like the current dev team is a small handful of guys locked in a basement.

With the language barriers and how sadly addicted some folks are, we can't really protest with an organized subscription cancellation. Some of us don't want to quit for other games because we still see a lot of potential in FFXI, too. Were this game free to play, or maybe like $5.95 a month, I know I wouldn't care so much. For now, I wonder where all our money goes.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

You guys are totally looking at this the wrong way.
    You want instant fixes to the game's problems but SE has taken a gradual approach to their resolutions.

First, xp was slow.
    So they reduced the xp/lvl and introduced bibiki bay.
    While this was a great advace, it was not enough to meet the needs of the playerbase.
    So ToaU introduced super xp camps. Between those and the 2h buffs, just about everyone was able to see 15-30k/hr xp.
    This did in turn lead to camp crowding.
    SE's resolution was campain and WotG as a whole. Both reduced the strain on xp camps. One by giving players an oppertunity to xp at their leasure on any job they wanted without having to lfg forever. The other by pure suck causing many players to grow tired of ffxi.
    Its not really the wrong way because no one is going to directly state that SE hasnt done *anything* to combat many of the playerbases issues. The issue is mainly that in the case of lowering the EXP bar to reach 75:

-It was needed. People were quitting FFXI because it was such a grind that the fun factor was severely reduced. Remember 2-3k/hr with a 40000 tnl bar? Exactly. This wasnt a playerbase revolution, it was SE simply trying to stop the bleeding out of customers at the time. They also got a kick in the pants that completely ignoring the playerbase has consequences, this was mid-CoP era.

-ToAU was fantastic, the playerbase was able to level more effectively and many people have become adjusted to no less than 7-8k/hr at the bare minimum which is fair imo but now WoTG has gone 2 steps backwards - with nasty camps and no reason to exp or visit them.

-Campaign isnt a solution to actual content. As-is, its akin to if ToAU only launched with Besieged, devoid of exp camps, Assault and Cerberus without drops. Its a novel idea but its unlikely that Campaign Ops will ever touch the gem that is Assault.

What's next? the death of what most already consider dead crafting? Though this wont bother any but the most dedicated crafters.
    The major end game community is the group causing all the fuss. Whether it's the hardcore crafters, HNM campers, or people trying to get glacier AF for their 5th and 6th jobs. The solution? Kill off the end game community. Then you have a game of happy casual players who dont care about content updates becuause they'll never get a chance to expirence it all anyway.
    Its those endgamers that weathered the storm for SE, sticking to them when everyone else was jumping ship to WoW. Few things people ask for require a massive overhaul of any system (nerfing AV is impossible? they nerfed the fuck outta different content way faster) and by purging the endgamers - all SE does is delay the problem until the new endgame generation matures. They can say 'fuck the endgamers' all they want, but in the end the endgamers are the ones plunking down for years on end - not the average player.

I don't think so.
    This makes no sense. Everyone playing FFXI is paying the devs for content - regardless of the 'its only endgamers complaining' arguement it boils down to the fact that the only reason new players arent fussing is that they dont know enough to start complaining yet. Campaign is paying the devs? Then tell me why WotG dropped from 30 bucks to 20 in less than 3 months and is the worst launched xpac SE has released for FFXI so far.

ToAU still holds its throne as the pinnacle of expansion packs, though personally i thought CoP was more epic.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

No, I agree with you completely. Especially about ToaU being the best expansion to date.
    I know many others also think that CoP was the best. I personnally like seeing content that everyone can enjoy. TaoU provided that and conent for the end game crowd. WotG will be hard pressed to live up to these standards. But it's still early in terms of updates. I really am not expecting much from the june update but i'm sure the expansion will start to take shape by september.

i just wonder how many people will hold out that long.

also, the interview blew. hope the update notes continue to be less suck that last time.

New Merits
    BG Level

That interview is made of pure 100% lol. I <3 Shassira... your breakdown of it made me laugh and I agree with most if not all of your views.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

@ ronin: assault is only a gem if you have people to do it with. I can do lots of the ops whenever is convenient for me, not 3 other people.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said though.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Huh, so Absolute Virtue is meant to be a trap door that drops into a pit of lava spikes with salt that rains in after you fall -after all-

Knew it!

OK guys, took us this long to beat our first JOL, but we di- what the heck is that!? Quick, hit it before it depops!

Lol, it's a traaaap.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by A-Chaos
    Huh, so Absolute Virtue is meant to be a trap door that drops into a pit of lava spikes with salt that rains in after you fall -after all-

Knew it!

OK guys, took us this long to beat our first JOL, but we di- what the heck is that!? Quick, hit it before it depops!

Lol, it's a traaaap.
    If it was really a trap in that sence, then whey does it drop items? :P

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Chaos

Knew it!

Lol, it's a traaaap.
    If it was really a trap in that sence, then whey does it drop items?
    They didn't mean a trap in that sense, but it sure has worked out that way and makes their choice of words really funny. They mean it in a storyline sort of way.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Apelila
    @ ronin: assault is only a gem if you have people to do it with. I can do lots of the ops whenever is convenient for me, not 3 other people.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said though.
    True, Assault does requires a group but after seeing how much work the devs put into Assault, Campaign OPs feel like a step backward. Most of the missions post LC rank were pretty clever overall and more importantly fun, the rewards were also desirable though i really wish they upped the rare appraise success rate.

They should have just taken the assault system and ran with that sorta system for endgame events from there on: Get your friends, get your tag, fight HNM, get drops, wait period, rinse and repeat. Wish i could ask why they basically abandoned one of the most successful ways of conducting content - or if it will make a comeback further down the road in WoTG.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

They should have just taken the assault system and ran with that sorta system for endgame events from there on: Get your friends, get your tag, fight HNM, get drops, wait period, rinse and repeat. Wish i could ask why they basically abandoned one of the most successful ways of conducting content - or if it will make a comeback further down the road in WoTG.
    In a way they did with Einherjar (however poorly)
    If some of the more desired items were bought with ichor instead of loldroprate that event could be considered a success.

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Hanyoko
    If some of the more desired items were bought with ichor instead of loldroprate that event could be considered a success.
    Let us not forget Limbus, with one of the best items in the game, Brutal Earring.

I still maintain Limbus is the best designed event in FFXI.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    Interview March 25th 2008
    ================================================== ==========
    Question 6 (Secrets/Latent effects)
    Could you give us more information about any latent effects which players may not have found yet? Additionally, are there any secrets we are yet to discover which you could hint at - such as those you mentioned at the Fan Festivals in 2007?

Answer:
    Unfortunately, we cannot let you know of any undiscovered latent effects, as this would defy their purpose. On the other hand, we will let them be known at large once enough players figure out what the situation roughly may be. Items with no obvious advantages could well be worth thinking about.

================================================== =======

What was disclosed at FanFest'07?

Also VERY excited over keeping outposts when changing nations, looks like I will get windy and sandoria both to rank 10 now. Thanks for the awesome interview!

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

What was disclosed at FanFest'07?
    Nanban Kuriginu having a positive effect when eating pamama while having it equipped, Avengers doing something, and a couple of other items that I can't remember.

And yes, thanks for the interview, thanks so much.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxthepenguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanyoko
    Let us not forget Limbus, with one of the best items in the game, Brutal Earring.

I still maintain Limbus is the best designed event in FFXI.
    I will agree that Limbus has the perfect mix of desired items, price, time and rewards. The items to upgrade the AF pieces even infrequently drop within the event - making it self-sufficient in a way (Is it so hard for Salvage to steal this?....) but there is one gripe about Limbus that detracts it from being all but 'perfect':

Proto-Omega vs. Proto-Ultima farming.

Omega drops superior gear (Homam) and takes significantly less time to farm than Ultima who drops mainly stat boost gear (Ultima) and the semi-coveted nashira hands. Is it just me or do the sets seem reversed in terms of effort? Its not a big deal but it is kinda backwards.

But yeah, Assault, Limbus, Sky and Nyzul Isle are as perfect as events can get within the game, Salvage is pretty solid content as well except for the Khroma cesspools.

@Einherjar - Meh, it was a novel idea but the fact that again most of the Ichor items arent as holy-shit as the items from Limbus that shoots it down. When Limbus first launched with the Brutal/Loquacious/Boxer Mantle, it was massive boost for people to complete CoP and access it ASAP, ichor items just seem out of place and meh-tastic.

Einherjars main draw is the Odin lootpool and what a journey it is to ever see it

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast