Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Re: Development Team Q&A - May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos
    I will agree that Limbus has the perfect mix of desired items, price, time and rewards. The items to upgrade the AF pieces even infrequently drop within the event - making it self-sufficient in a way (Is it so hard for Salvage to steal this?....) but there is one gripe about Limbus that detracts it from being all but 'perfect':

Proto-Omega vs. Proto-Ultima farming.

Omega drops superior gear (Homam) and takes significantly less time to farm than Ultima who drops mainly stat boost gear (Ultima) and the semi-coveted nashira hands. Is it just me or do the sets seem reversed in terms of effort? Its not a big deal but it is kinda backwards.
    Yeah, but I dont even think of that as a big issue. It's a flaw, but it just refocuses an event rather than ruining it. One other important thing it has going for it is that it rewards continuous improvement of techniques with improved 'bonus chips' from the Omega/Ultima areas.

Also, Ultima is a fun boss battle.

But yeah, Assault, Limbus, Sky and Nyzul Isle are as perfect as events can get within the game, Salvage is pretty solid content as well except for the Khroma cesspools.
    I disagree with a couple of those. Assault doesn't have high end rewards for your effort. The event is well designed but the rewards aren't.
    Sky is pretty damn well designed with multiple incentives, some high end items, and some common items.
    Nyzul's rewards are, IMO, not that great. The major difficulty of getting the relic weapon you want could be a problem depending how much other work is needed for it.
    Salvage would be perfect if only it had some intermediate rewards. It's unfortunately all or nothing. There is no AF2 to get people to get moving for Relics. There are no Ancient Beastcoins+AF1 items to get people to join for Homam/Nashira.

@Einherjar - Meh, it was a novel idea but the fact that again most of the Ichor items arent as holy-shit as the items from Limbus that shoots it down. When Limbus first launched with the Brutal/Loquacious/Boxer Mantle, it was massive boost for people to complete CoP and access it ASAP, ichor items just seem out of place and meh-tastic.
    Ichor items are pretty good, there are a few that I am willing to work for. The people who talk down ritter gorget are kinda silly. There are other ones that, while they are not tons better than other items, are the best of their class. Its main problems, IMO, are the high amount of people needed and the utter uselessness of the new abjurations.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Also, Ultima is a fun boss battle.
    That it is.

I disagree with a couple of those. Assault doesn't have high end rewards for your effort. The event is well designed but the rewards aren't.
    Sky is pretty damn well designed with multiple incentives, some high end items, and some common items.
    Nyzul's rewards are, IMO, not that great. The major difficulty of getting the relic weapon you want could be a problem depending how much other work is needed for it.
    Salvage would be perfect if only it had some intermediate rewards. It's unfortunately all or nothing. There is no AF2 to get people to get moving for Relics. There are no Ancient Beastcoins+AF1 items to get people to join for Homam/Nashira.
    Well thats what i was trying to get at with Assault, the fact that it has the enormous potential to spit out some pretty fantastic appraised items: Flan Smasher, Divisor Ring, Omicron Ring, Storm Gear, Kumokirimaru etc. on top of some pretty desired Yigit, Pahluhan and Amir gear. If the HQ appraise rate was upped even slightly, Assault would on the Limbus tier of events. People seek out the assault counter items as well, though some items are out of place (those elemental weapons...)

Nyzul has some decent rewards, sidegrades for many jobs but stuff like Goliard and Denali are supposed to be endgame sets for DNC and SCH and overall i wish SE made more nyzul-esque sets for the HNMs they constantly ignore. They arent 'uber', but they are easily viable and useful pieces for people who cant be bothered to invest massive time in salvage or plunk down for the deplorable conditions at kings.

Meh, the only thing about salvage holding it back is the Khroma issue. The sets are easily the best pieces you can get for many jobs in some slots so its sorta like aquiring a relic weapon imo, you invest the time and you get a huge payout down the road.

Ichor items are pretty good, there are a few that I am willing to work for. The people who talk down ritter gorget are kinda silly. There are other ones that, while they are not tons better than other items, are the best of their class. Its main problems, IMO, are the high amount of people needed and the utter uselessness of the new abjurations.
    Not to mention the issue of buying rubber pieces to make subpar abjuration sets...

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos
    Well thats what i was trying to get at with Assault, the fact that it has the enormous potential to spit out some pretty fantastic appraised items: Flan Smasher, Divisor Ring, Omicron Ring, Storm Gear, Kumokirimaru etc. on top of some pretty desired Yigit, Pahluhan and Amir gear. If the HQ appraise rate was upped even slightly, Assault would on the Limbus tier of events. People seek out the assault counter items as well, though some items are out of place (those elemental weapons...)
    Very meh. I just don't count Assault as endgame type stuff. It's not a real challenge.

Nyzul has some decent rewards, sidegrades for many jobs but stuff like Goliard and Denali are supposed to be endgame sets for DNC and SCH and overall i wish SE made more nyzul-esque sets for the HNMs they constantly ignore. They arent 'uber', but they are easily viable and useful pieces for people who cant be bothered to invest massive time in salvage or plunk down for the deplorable conditions at kings.
    Ehh, some is useful but eh. It only has one standout piece, Askar Body. There are a few uses for other gear, but it's mostly for specific jobs like Denali Kecks for BLU and COR and Denali Gamashes for BLU. They aren't useful for the jobs on them, which kinda sucks.

Meh, the only thing about salvage holding it back is the Khroma issue. The sets are easily the best pieces you can get for many jobs in some slots so its sorta like aquiring a relic weapon imo, you invest the time and you get a huge payout down the road.
    I agree but Dynamis has AF2 to tide you over and make runs feel useful. Salvage relies on low probabilities. Which kinda sucks

Not to mention the issue of buying rubber pieces to make subpar abjuration sets...
    lol yeah...

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxthepenguin
    Full or partial Yigit, some bits of Pahluwan, Storm Fife, and a few other pieces are pretty good rewards, depending on the jobs you have and what other gear you have. It's a great rewards system: provided you keep winning, you know exactly how long your rewards will take to obtain, 100%. Don't want the Ex rewards? You can use your tags for Nyzul instead, use your points for Salvage instead, or "cash in" and buy items like Chivalrous Chain and Potent Belt to sell. The tag system is a bit of a balancing act if you want to do both Nyzul and Salvage, but right now I'm doing 3-5 Salvage and 2 Nyzul per week, and I'm happy.

I definitely agree that the ??? appraisal rate sucks though; I basically look at those items as non-existant. We tried so long without one Divisor Ring; now we'd rather spend 1/4 the time doing RvB for more points, which helps us do both Nyzul and Salvage.

Edit: I favor the definition of "end-game" as "something you do when you're 75". If I stopped doing Assault, I'd have to stop doing Salvage, and surely that's end-game. So it's part of end-game life for most people.
    Goliard feet are pretty hot for BRD; aside from Shadow Feet (lulz) it's hard to find anything comparable for debuffs. Denali Jacket is the best Quick Draw piece; same with the legs. Denali feet are pretty nice NIN WS gear. Bits of Askar are nice for some jobs. Most of the rewards aren't stellar, which is part of why I didn't start on Nyzul until I'd already completed several pieces of Salvage gear. But it's easy to do, and something different. I'm waiting to see how the weapons pan out.
    I can agree here; it would be nice if you saw occasional random drops of upgrade materials. Zones like Silver Sea Remnants are especially depressing in this regard; you can do many runs in a row, and no matter how well you do, nobody will get anything. However, I find Salvage fun at least. It's probably related to the same reason I find Nyzul fun: unpredictability. Cells in the case of Salvage, everything in the case of Nyzul.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

One good thing they could do to salvage would be adding points similar to Nyzule where at the start you can purchase temp. items like reraisers and assassins drinks and things like that. Or maybe you get points for defeating boss monsters in Salvage and you can purchase salvage materials from an npc in exchange for points like Imp. Wootz ingots and such.

New Merits
    BG Level

moving to the advanced thread instead

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6