+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Going to Japan, looking for tips

I'm heading to Japan on the 23rd (I will be staying with a host family in Saga City for 2 weeks), and I'm looking for some tips since this is my first time. Aside from general tips, I also have some specific questions:

-I'm bringing my laptop, is there any (free) software you would recommend (translating, etc)?
    -I'm in Tokyo for one day only. What should I see/do, if I have the time?
    -How much WiFi access should I expect? (I'm expecting a lot less compared to say Tokyo)
    -My bank says my debit card will work in Japan, should I trust their word?

Thanks!

Re: Going to Japan, looking for tips

Bait some hot 20-something year-old japanese chicks into thinking you're a rich business man so you can get some guilt-free poontang. And then zomg, you've vanished!

Stay away from the blowfish. Oh, and get a subway map ahead of time. That subway system is insane.

I really loved just about all of Tokyo, but I suppose Tokyo tower was up near the top (no pun intended). It's an incredible view if you go at the right time and weather. I also really liked Shinjuku.

EDIT: Might need more than one subway map, forgot... Their subway systems are run by like 3 different companies.

Oh, and here's Tokyo tower:

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

If you're gonna be around kids, wear baggy pants. Unless you want a "Ten Thousand Years of Pain" (Naruto reference) sneak attack. Multiple times.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Norellicus
    If you're gonna be around kids, wear baggy pants. Unless you want a "Ten Thousand Years of Pain" (Naruto reference) sneak attack. Multiple times.
    >.>
    AFAIK, I won't be around any. First week I'll be at a local college and the second week an all girls college.

Also avoid wearing shorts. Almost no one does regardless of how hot it is.

Eating in public is bad too, everyone stares at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno McDohl
    -I'm bringing my laptop, is there any (free) software you would recommend (translating, etc)?
    For portable translation, the best thing to do is get an electronic dictionary ???? den-shi ji-sho. However, they are expensive, and you seem to want something free. Electronic dictionaries can run from 100-400+ dollars, but are essential if you are serious about communicating on-the-go and studying Japanese further.

If you want something for just those two weeks, then I would just get a book or something with commonly used phrases. I don't see any free software on your laptop being of much use during an active vacation.

-I'm in Tokyo for one day only. What should I see/do, if I have the time?
    Kaminari-Mon ?? in Tokyo is basically built for tourists, and has many Japanese-style souvenirs and junk. You watch Naruto, so I'm sure you'll find stuff there you'd want.

-How much WiFi access should I expect? (I'm expecting a lot less compared to say Tokyo)
    In Saga, I wouldn't expect much. However, Internet Cafes are very popular across the country. They are open 24/7, and allow internet usage after you sign up as a member. Prices usually range around $10 for 3hrs. To become a member, you need some ID, and some help if you can't speak Japanese. A passport works.

-My bank says my debit card will work in Japan, should I trust their word?
    Your debit card should work all right at certain places. Your best bet is 7-11, (called 7-i, but the sign is easily recognizable), which has international ATM machines. There are 133 7-11 locations in Saga prefecture.

General Tips?

• Try every food you encounter (unless you're allergic, of course). They're almost always delicious, and the weirder ones make for good stories.[/*:m:2bjd4bgf]
    • Be careful about your luggage situation. Leave room for stuff to bring back, and don't overdo it on the shopping.[/*:m:2bjd4bgf]
    • When talking with people, don't imitate or use any phrases/speech patterns from anime. You'll sound like a complete douche.[/*:m:2bjd4bgf]
    • 7-11 actually has cheap, healthy food. Rice-ball with Salmon and some green tea < 3 bucks[/*:m:2bjd4bgf]
    • 100 yen stores are a treasure trove of weird, kitschy Japanese goods. Good for friends back home who like that stuff, or maybe you too.[/*:m:2bjd4bgf]
    • Take pictures![/*:m:2bjd4bgf]

If you want some actual, serious advice about meeting girls: Just talk to them. If the situation is reasonable, like some girls hanging out on campus, just go for it. If you need a wingman, that's fine too. They will appreciate the effort, and be impressed by your Japanese ability, even if it's small. I can't guarantee you'll be bedding any ladies, but you'll make good friends.

Oh, and if you can write a girl's name in kanji... they love that.

Chicks dig calligraphy

On the translating issue, depending on your Japanese language skills, I recommend two different sources. You'll need decent skills to make any good use of them, though. The first one is Jim Breen's WWWJDIC for translating when you have internet access. Otherwise, I recommend Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten for the DS. It's a good as most electronic dictionaries, but for 1/4 to 1/10 the price if you already have a DS. It also has handwriting recognition which is incredibly helpful if your kanji skills are weak, and is usually really expensive in electronic dictionaries. I personally found Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten to be a lifesaver in Japanese class.

EDIT: Just a quick forewarning, Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten is meant for native Japanese speakers, and therefore the entire interface is in Japanese.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

For portable translation, the best thing to do is get an electronic dictionary ???? den-shi ji-sho
    Ah, that's what the Japanese students had when they came here this year. Was wondering about that.

You watch Naruto, so I'm sure you'll find stuff there you'd want.
    I'm ashamed. How did you know >.>

However, Internet Cafes are very popular across the country. They are open 24/7, and allow internet usage after you sign up as a member.
    I assume the interface would be in Japanese?

If you want some actual, serious advice about meeting girls
    Thanks, but my gf says I can look but not touch. <.<

Do you think it would be realistic to try to go to Akihabara from the Hotel Grand Palace in Tokyo? We have free time after 6pm and I don't know if that leaves enough time.

Thanks again. :wink:

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

What she doesn't know... etc

electronic dictionary ???? den-shi ji-sho
    Ah, that's what the Japanese students had when they came here this year. Was wondering about that.
    Yea, they are extremely useful with Eng>JP, JP>Eng, Dictionaries in both languages, kanji look up, etc etc. But it's an investment, so it depends on your future plans with the language.

CuddableKae's suggestion was good. If you have a DS, language software is maybe $40 new, $20 used. It'll be more complicated to use, but your home-stay family could show you how.

[quote:dqlc3fj1]Naruto
    I'm ashamed. How did you know >.>[/quote:dqlc3fj1]

Profile > User Posts , saw that you post in the Naruto topic.

[quote:dqlc3fj1]Internet Cafes
    I assume the interface would be in Japanese?[/quote:dqlc3fj1]

It's in Japanese, but you'll have the familiar Internet Explorer icon, and from there everything looks the same. Really easy to navigate.

[quote:dqlc3fj1]girls
    Thanks, but my gf says I can look but not touch. <.<[/quote:dqlc3fj1]

Oh well... Advice still applies to making good friends to keep in touch with. I made a friend at college in Japan, and even with sporadic correspondence, 6 years later I stayed with her and her family in Kyoto for a week. Went and saw the new Evangelion movie with her and her boyfriend. So you don't always have to 'touch.'

Do you think it would be realistic to try to go to Akihabara from the Hotel Grand Palace in Tokyo? We have free time after 6pm and I don't know if that leaves enough time.
    I can't really say, although it feels a little late. With one day in Tokyo, you'll probably have a lot to do, and schedules could change, new things could pop up. It may be one of those things to decide on-the-fly.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Hot damn, this thread is great! My best friend is in Kuwait right now and wants to use his military leave to go to Japan. He's going to be in Okinawa for 10 days in either June or October and wants to know what the hell he should do while he's there. Since I've got a stable Internet connection he's asked me to do some reasearch, think you guys can offer some help please? I have no idea where to even begin to look at stuff haha. His only real request is that he really really wants to go to Tokyo.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Auspice,
    if ya friend he wants to see tokyo, don't go to okinawa.
    he will fall under their curfews for mililtary personal on that island ( yeah even on while on leave.... )
    but if he reaaly wants tokyo, he can book thru the new sanno hotel www.thenewsanno.com its a joint billeting hotel
    its right in the middle of the high roller area of tokyo for like 40 buxs a night and its like a subway way to roppongi ...etc
    40$ a night is ungodly cheap for downtown tokyo but you just gotta book like now

to the OP ,
    for the love of cake visit a Village Vanguard store especially the huge one in tokyo
    and if you got a windows pocketpc phone or PDA i suggest www.ookii.org and get pocket dictionary
    its free and easy to use

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

You're going to Japan looking for tips? Bring a magnifying glass.

Oh, and slurp your noodles and the last of your soup... it's considered good manners and apparently tells the chef you enjoy the food.

Are there online games available in the internet cafes (FFXI)? Not that I'd play FFXI if I was travelling in Japan... just askin!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Few points, not all ATMs will work internationally, the Familymart is closer to me than the 7-11 so I don't know about their ATMs 100%. Easy gut check is look at the ATM's logos and see if one matches the back of your card, chances are you're going to look for the + logo. That being said, Japan is VERY cash oriented, don't expect to pay for things with debit or credit as much. As for what to do in Tokyo, inbetween the historical sites and tourist places, just walk around Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Shibuya and Akihabara for a small taste of what's typically portrayed as 'Tokyo' in media.

And the best dictionary I found is a $10 pocket one from Canada, Websters New World. It gives Kanji and Romanji readings for both J>E and E>J and english definitions of the words so you know that it's the right one.

Oh and the Maboo internet cafes don't need a membership. just go in, point to the 1h or 3h/price and they'll get it. They'll give you a room number and you pay on the way out. They may ask smoking/non-smoking and they charge more for men than women. If you ever need a place to crash overnight, they make a good choice, usually cheaper than a hotel.

Oh and the Maboo internet cafes don't need a membership. just go in, point to the 1h or 3h/price and they'll get it. They'll give you a room number and you pay on the way out. They may ask smoking/non-smoking and they charge more for men than women. If you ever need a place to crash overnight, they make a good choice, usually cheaper than a hotel.
    You may not know it now, but this will be the most useful information from this thread.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Don't put high hope on japanese girl around tokyo, or you will be very disappointed some time

if you have free times between 8am-11am, I will sugguest you go akihabara by that time. Those shops open quite early.

Another suggestion if you have a whole day of free time in tokyo, you might can try to visit asakusa temple, if you like these kind of things. Or you can try to find some anime related broucher, and see if there is any event around tokyo. Last time when I went there there is a one piece event in a hotel, and we went there instead of asakusa temple :D

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh

I did this during TGS last year. In a pinch, internet cafes are pretty nice alternatives to a night in a hotel. It's like renting a kid's room: couch, TV, PS2 (can vary), computer+internet...

Drinks are usually free from the soda fountain, and you can order food to your room for extra money.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Don't rent a car and drive around Tokyo, the traffic is like mayhem.