+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Rather than bump the 3 month old thread about the trailer, I felt a new thread to discuss the actual movie was warranted. I'm surprised nobody beat me to it though. I can't have been the only one here to have hit a midnight showing.

Anyways, I'd say the movie is on the border between "good" and "very good", but not quite near the territory of "great". A solid B- (80%) attempt. It's definitely not at the level of Raiders or Crusade, but it's much better than Temple.

It seems like somewhere in the production cycle Chris Carter broke in and stuck some pages of his own scripts into the Indy pile though.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Seeing this last night made me realize just how much I dislike Shia LeBouf. But it was alright. I will admit I was kind of disappointed because I was expecting more. Some parts seemed slow and kinda dragged out. But something I totally didn't realize was that the evil Russian chick with the bowl cut also was Galadriel in the Lord of the Rings movies. haha. She was good.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You have to keep in mind that the original 3 were not "blockbusters" at the times of their release either. Movies grow or drift to the wayside after a few years. I remember seeing the Temple of Doom and the Last Crusade at Drive in movie theaters lol (Yes they actually existed). I can also remember an article talking about how Lucas was "Reaching" with an archeology movie and how the series would be dead by the late 80's.

I plan to see it this weekend and I for one have a "realistic" attitude towards it. Needless to say I am fucking stoked to see it.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

How can you say they weren't blockbusters on release?

Raiders of the Lost Ark was one of the highest grossing movies of all time at release and was nominated for 8 Academy Awards that year including Best Picture. If that doesn't denote a blockbuster movie I can't really see what does.

Temple of Doom and Last Crusade weren't all that far behind either (hell, Temple of Doom is the movie that's responsible for the existence of the PG-13 movie rating, because they couldn't figure out if it was PG or R until finally coming up with a new rating), and all 3 of them were either the highest grossing movie of the year or in the top 3.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor
    How can you say they weren't blockbusters on release?

Raiders of the Lost Ark was one of the highest grossing movies of all time at release and was nominated for 8 Academy Awards that year including Best Picture. If that doesn't denote a blockbuster movie I can't really see what does.

Temple of Doom and Last Crusade weren't all that far behind either (hell, Temple of Doom is the movie that's responsible for the existence of the PG-13 movie rating, because they couldn't figure out if it was PG or R until finally coming up with a new rating), and all 3 of them were either the highest grossing movie of the year or in the top 3.

Wrong terminology I suppose, I was mainly speaking about the varying "opinions" of the writers and others during their initial releases. Those are not my words lol, I loved Science and History since a young age, I just remember being angry at the reviews. Yay early 80's. While I am on the topic, there were even nay sayers about Star Wars films, before and after the first release. I didn't say they were right, just merely that I REMEMBERED the criticisms from the media and newspapers at the time because I was there and obviously hurt at the time.

Xavier

I think he is just saying that time has a way of reducing criticism, where at the time of release something may not receive universal praise, several years removed its suddenly a classic and widely regarded as brilliant.

I loved Raiders and Crusade, have high expectations for this film, but not seeing it until Friday. It had been a long time since I saw the original movies, so I was a bit skeptical when I heard that the latest plot revolved around a skull possibly made by aliens, but I rewatched the films on TNT and suddenly remembered that none of them had remotely realistic plots. Maybe I'm one of the only people who feels this way, but Shia hasn't really started to annoy me yet.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Went to the midnight showing of this on Wedensday night.

Happy Days meets Da Vinci Code meets X files.

Black Sabbath - Karen Allen the coolest actress of the series is back and Indy can still throw a whallop of a punch when he needs to.

Black Crowes - pretty much everything else.

I enjoyed it. It was everything I expected it to be, maybe a little more. It did get a bit "what?" towards the end when they find out about the alien weirdness.

This also got me thinking: do Dr. Jones's students ever get a full lecture from him? Do they even get him for a single semester before he's dragged away to go punch Nazis/Thuggees/Commies/Aliens?

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Not seeing it based on my "don't see any movie that spends over 1/4 of its budget on the most incessant marketing humanly possible" rule.

I'm beginning to think my doctor would have a Crystal Skull themed douche if I went to see him for a cleaning.

If the film is so fucking great it won't need all that money, so spend it buying off George Lucas so he stays the hell away from the project instead.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Saw it at the paramount studio on Tuesday. Fun movie, wasn't great but I definantly enjoyed it. It was nice to see another Indy movie regardless of it not living up to my expectations... but what can you really expect from a movie that was hyped up so much?

Your mom goes to college.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    I was a bit skeptical when I heard that the latest plot revolved around a skull possibly made by aliens, but I rewatched the films on TNT and suddenly remembered that none of them had remotely realistic plots.
    Saw it today...liked it a lot after thinking about it a bit. During the movie I was thinking this is a little outrageous even for an Indiana Jones movie, but then I realized aliens are a lot more likely to exist than demons, mind controling tribes, and ghosts that were in the first 3.

Packin more heat than spicy
    8=====>

BG Level

I pretty much enjoyed the movie. Some parts were a little absurd (Shia, monkeys, swinging from vines what), but it was pretty good action and what I expected from Indiana Jones. I also thought Shia played his part pretty well. Definitely worth seeing at midnight last night and then going to work on 2 hours of sleep lol

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    I think he is just saying that time has a way of reducing criticism, where at the time of release something may not receive universal praise, several years removed its suddenly a classic and widely regarded as brilliant.

Thank you! Couldn't have said it better.

My friends expected it to be the best movie ever. I, on the other hand, was not expecting it to be better than Iron Man (and it wasnt). Overall it was a good movie, but nothing to kill babies for

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

I hate Shia Ledouche. I may or may not watch this.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I enjoyed the movie, since I like Indiana Jones. And Harrison Ford still delivers.

Sometimes the movie really lost itself, though... they tacked on some really pointless scenes in the movie. To the point of being ridiculous (you might spot it...). They detracted overall from the experience.

Also, George Lucas has a hard on for Star Wars.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya
    why?

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    why?
    I don't really know myself, i just hate the little bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    why?
    I don't really know myself, i just hate the little bastard.
    Same.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast