View Poll Results: Would you have your dog cloned?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

32 35.56%
  • no

58 64.44%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Would you have your dog cloned?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24776780/?GT1=43001

SAN FRANCISCO - A Northern California biotech company announced Wednesday that it will clone dogs for the five highest bidders in a series of online auctions. Some ethicists condemned the offer, fearing it could lead to human clones.

Opening bids start at $100,000 for the service being offered by Mill Valley-based BioArts International. The cloning process is to be performed by a South Korean scientist who suffered international disgrace after being found to have faked research.
    Hawthorne said he was wary of working with Hwang at first but said the Korean scientist had assembled the best technology and talent available. All of Hwang's results connected to dog cloning have been independently verified, Hawthorne said.
    Some groups that monitor advances in genetic technology argue that the company's project, called Best Friends Again, could serve as a gateway to more unsavory practices.

"Many people consider pets to be part of our families," Marcy Darnovsky, associate director of the Oakland-based Center for Genetics and Society, said in a statement. "If we get used to cute cloned puppies, will some people expect cute cloned babies next?"
    Why must there be someone, anyone, who always brings up the slippery slope argument with the most weakest of links? Some people bring it up with anything, take for example the argument used against homosexuals marrying because then they'd have to let people marry animals or something. Anyway, i probably wouldn't clone my dog since it won't really be the same dog, but then again, it would be an interesting thing to do. Have any arguments against cloning animals for commercial purposes beyond yelling that the sky is going to fall, and would you have your dog cloned if you had the chance(specifically speaking, if it died, but you can say yes if you'd fancy the idea of having two identical dogs)?

Re: Would you have your dog cloned?

Yes i miss lucky

I don't know about all that, but I would love one of those "cute cloned babies" I was reading about!

no. If I had the money to waste, maybe.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

No...just cause it's a clone doesn't mean it'll still have the same personality traits. When my last cat died (which was totally awesome) my little brother got my mom a cat that looked almost exactly like the old one...but this one's a total bitch. I still catch myself calling the new bitch cat my old awesome cats name sometimes.

No.
    Fluffy > Fluffy v2

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Yes, but only if the clone had laser vision.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

a mini me pet?

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorio
    No...just cause it's a clone doesn't mean it'll still have the same personality traits. When my last cat died (which was totally awesome) my little brother got my mom a cat that looked almost exactly like the old one...but this one's a total bitch. I still catch myself calling the new bitch cat my old awesome cats name sometimes.
    Not that i think that a cloned animal will act the same as the original, or that cats aren't dicks, but that was a really crappy example. I don't know how you surmised that an animal that looks the same is the same thing as a cloned animal.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya
    Not that i think that a cloned animal will act the same as the original, or that cats aren't dicks, but that was a really crappy example. I don't know how you surmised that an animal that looks the same is the same thing as a cloned animal.
    What else is a clone but an exact physical reproduction? They don't share the same brain and won't behave the same. What's the huge difference that I'm not noticing (except for breeding potential, maybe)?

BG Level

What else is a clone but an exact physical reproduction? They don't share the same brain and won't behave the same. What's the huge difference that I'm not noticing (except for breeding potential, maybe)?
    Exact genetic makeup, therefore it's likely to share many mannerisms caused by physiological particularities.

edit: and they share the same brain, but i get the feeling you meant something else.

Ridill
    BG Level

Anyway, i probably wouldn't clone my dog since it won't really be the same dog
    I would say this about 99.9%, I'm a huge animal person and I miss the hell out of a lot of dogs and cats I've had, but like you said it wouldn't be the same.

However, I had a cat that was born when a high pedigree hililayan siamese bred with a randomass stray. This cat turned out to be a very very long haired unbelievably gorgeous gray siamese color pattern, and I would clone that thing in a heartbeat.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

I probably would clone my cat, well it's dead now but it would be sweet to have a cat 2.0 since the first one was so awesome.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

RePet >_>

But really, no, I don't see the point of cloning a regular animal. Now, doing the Jurassic Park thing and maybe cloning some breeds that disappeared, or the original version of the breed. That I could see. Trying to "replace" a family pet with a clone though, waste o' time.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Yeah why rescue animals from the shelter when you can just clone something?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Phede Mihnao
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Fuck no, that'd be a total waste of money, even if it was a fraction of what the bidding price was.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

No. They can't include memory with cloning...

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

No, I hate my dog, its like 6 years old and still pisses on the carpet, barks at odd hours in the morning AND is a miniature toy poodle.

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

He wouldnt be the same

My dog died on the first of April, and another dog that looked exactly like him wouldnt change the fact that the dog i knew growing up, had died. I guess im all sentimental about it, but trying to make a dog just like him would give HIM the idea that I had replaced him. And i could never replace my baby (