Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why isn't SCH used often as a sub?

This is probably(or most likely) a dumb question, but I don't really understand what's wrong with it. It gets most spells that people need, gives Regen II, and the JAs are pretty sweet. I can imagine Sublimation being pretty handy, too.

So, why doesn't anyone use it?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Re: Why isn't SCH used often as a sub?

cba to level it?

No Stoneskin/Blink is painful...

Guess WHM/SCH is best atm?

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

For Blm, lack of buffs/debuffs(Grav).

For Whm, laziness and resistance to change.

So for a WHM main it's actually a good sub? Hmm.

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

It's a fantastic WHM sub, only time I'm on WHM/somethingelse is when I'm in a hurry and switch to /BLM without thinking, or when I need to warp.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fred Gimyajan
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Zosi
    It's a fantastic WHM sub, only time I'm on WHM/somethingelse is when I'm in a hurry and switch to /BLM without thinking, or when I need to warp.
    QFT.

I'd say /SCH is the best subjob for WHM, while /BLM and /SMN have situational use now. It's not bad for RDM either, but IMO it shines the most on WHM.

/BLM I'd say is for:
    - If your group lacks escape/tractor. Warp is a self-utility spell and should never be considered as a reason to sub BLM, as that's a retarded reason.
    - If Elemental Seal is useful for helping with enfeebling harder stuff. Bugs me when WHMs forget they have access to enfeebling magic just because there's a RDM around that can do it better.

/SMN I'd say is for:
    - When Shining Ruby can be helpful.
    - When you're carby pulling.

/SCH I'd say is for:
    - Literally everything else.

With light arts up, WHM gains -10% MP cost and -10% spellcasting time. That alone is just from the Light Arts ability. With the level 10/25 JA's, you can half casting time or half MP cost for a strategem charge. With Dark Arts up, WHM gains a respectable dark magic skill and can have decent Aspir returns for even better MP recovery (far more than what /BLM Aspir was ever capable of, even with Elemental Seal). Not to mention Sublimation. Before the update /SCH was really good for WHM. Now, it's even better and easily outperforms /BLM and /SMN, period. The only downslide to this as all users of Sublimation know, you can't have Refresh casted on you while it's up. /SCH also gives higher enhancing skill to help with barspells with Light Arts up, making them even more potent.

BLM/SCH is asking for death in exchange for the best MP conservation (this is, IMO, the definition of /SCH). This is why people compare BLM and SCH as nukers - just because BLM can't gain the conservation ability that SCH has (granted, /SCH only has 2 strategem charges while SCH75 has 4(?)) because SCH doesn't have stoneskin/blink/grav/etc. If BLM could sub SCH and still have defense at least (and by that I mean Stoneskin), it'd probably be the normal subjob of choice and a highly recommended subjob (/RDM would be more useful for solo play, and /WHM'd still have use due to curagas/-nas/Reraise). Stoneskin is that damn good, and I consider it a requirement for a BLM to have and use it. Use it. Cherish it. It's not worth giving up, no matter what you are doing, period (regardless if you get hate or not). Only exception to that would be BLM/NIN, IMO, which does have use. Blink is ok, not very reliable (doesn't even compare to utsusemi), but nice when it procs. /SCH's a nice idea in theory, but needs defensive spells to make it more worthwhile.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I need to finish sch for my whm only 14 atm. Looks like a great subjob just wish there was a faster way to lv it thru the dunes.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I'd probably go BLM/SCH to something like Cerberus or Khimaira, where BLMs never pull hate anyway due to massive resistance and so on.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

No excuse for WHM not to have /sch SJ

It's nice for RDM but you are sacrificing Erase and Viruna in a main healing situation. It's good if you are planning ahead and know you absolutely will not need those spells otherwise newp.

BLM have an excuse - no Stoneskin/Blink/Gravity as well as the reasons it's not flash hot for RDM.

They fixed SCH mainjob and the subjob version of it has much to be desired.

I love WHM/SCH. But at the same time, I generally only am able to go /SCH when I'm not looked at for any sort of enfeebles or Repose, due to the need of ES to land them on a lot of HNMs. But for things like dynamis/limbus or any other sort of endurance fight, I always go /SCH.

Banned.

BG Level

I'm not a whm but the loss of es and stoneskin on a lot of hnm fights can be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by residue
    I'm not a whm but the loss of es and stoneskin on a lot of hnm fights can be huge.
    Hmmm, go check your spell lists. WHM doesn't lose SS. WHM actually gets it b4 RDM does. The lose of ES is only noticed if it's needed on a WHM, which in a lot of cases it isn't. The only time I can think I actually need ES as a WHM is when we are at Tiamat or Cerby, and needing ES to land Repose/Slow. Or the occasional mishap where WHMs are called on to Repose(ie someone being stupid and casting on a darter @ faf).

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbabwe Justice
    This is probably(or most likely) a dumb question, but I don't really understand what's wrong with it. It gets most spells that people need, gives Regen II, and the JAs are pretty sweet. I can imagine Sublimation being pretty handy, too.

So, why doesn't anyone use it?
    Blink and Stoneskin.

Fuck /sch, gives me more people to D2 when events are over. =(

SMN/SCH is also completely awesome when the SMN isn't responsible for a lot of status effects or cure focus. Sublimation alone is worth the sub.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fred Gimyajan
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by TeancumMemsochet
    Quote Originally Posted by residue
    Hmmm, go check your spell lists. WHM doesn't lose SS. WHM actually gets it b4 RDM does. The lose of ES is only noticed if it's needed on a WHM, which in a lot of cases it isn't. The only time I can think I actually need ES as a WHM is when we are at Tiamat or Cerby, and needing ES to land Repose/Slow. Or the occasional mishap where WHMs are called on to Repose(ie someone being stupid and casting on a darter @ faf).
    That's not the first time I've heard "loss of stoneskin" on WHM. >.>

To make it simple;

WHM gets Stoneskin at 28.
    RDM gets Stoneskin at 34.

SCH gets Stoneskin... by subbing WHM or RDM. Just like BLM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    Truth.

I'm working on mine still

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Acturus
    SMN/SCH is also completely awesome when the SMN isn't responsible for a lot of status effects or cure focus. Sublimation alone is worth the sub.
    The one event I went SMN to since the Elemental Siphon change (Kirin), I had no MP problems whatsoever. Nether Blast > rest > Nether Blast > Cure cure pew pew > Nether Blast > Cure > Elemental Siphon =full MP (with refresh and/or ballad). So fun.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Anyone that is playing as WHM and doesn't have /SCH
    is doing themselves and their LS/party/alliance a HUGE disservice.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Linktri

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredjan
    I'd say /SCH is the best subjob for WHM, while /BLM and /SMN have situational use now. It's not bad for RDM either, but IMO it shines the most on WHM.

I don't want to hear it but it seems i must. Unlocking Now. Goddamnit.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

/SCH is a nice sub for BLM on things like JoL, (Tiamat etc).
    Also in manaburn PT where you can 1shot mobs. (4 BLMs COR BRD)