Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Unstable Cluster - Soboro. Summoner style.

Anyone have any experience dragging 4-5 SMN out and killing UC that way? Only times I've ever done this were with 10-14 man groups, which is annoying to gather and deal with.

It's also "commonly held" apparently, that the more self-destructs that go off, the crappier the drop rate, do you hold this to be true? Would it be "necessary" to collectively dismiss during a self-destruct to prevent it from going off? How long does the fight take compared to the usual, throw more bodies at it cluster-**** method?

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Re: Unstable Cluster - Soboro. Summoner style.

bring a sam that have a soboro already and make him hobaku the TP moves

if it self-destructs three times it drops nothing

Self-destruct is a self targetted TP move, if you outrun it(or dismiss for that matter) it still goes off and has the effect of mob dying, it'll just say 'No valid targets in area of effect.' This is far easier to test on meltdown, pop flee when it starts animation and run and you can outrange it.. but trust me, it also happens on self-destruct.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

The Cluster version must be different than the Bomb version of that's true.
    Any BST should be able to tell you that a Bomb's Self-Destruct isn't 'self-targeted'.

Self-targetted, as in the ability targets the mob. There are different types of aoes:

Self-Targetted: The center of the aoe is the mob, if nobody is in aoe the ability still activates and the message 'No valid targets in area of effect.' is given.

Player-Targetted: The center of the aoe is the player or pet it is being used on. If the player or pet dies, the ability will not go off. This is what people are hoping will happen if they release a smn pet during self-destruct. If the player or pet it is being used on runs out of range, the message 'XXX is too far away.' is given.

To my knowledge, Self-Destruct, Meltdown, and all similar moves are Self-targetted and this cannot be done. This doesn't stop it being used with a bst pet as the only thing in aoe and allowing the beastmaster to exp off of it >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic
    Any BST should be able to tell you that a Bomb's Self-Destruct isn't 'self-targeted'.
    I was thinking the exact opposite... any Bst should be able to tell it is self targeted. I've had Bombs in Garlaige blow up while chasing me and have them die but hit nobody with self destruct. Was a long time ago so maybe I'm crazy but was pretty sure that's how they worked.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mk. 2
    if it self-destructs three times it drops nothing
    Untrue. During a Soboro run, we had a few Unstable Clusters explode completely and drop the weapon.

Chiming in with an extra voice of wisdom that you're wrong.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Fistandantilus
    I was thinking the exact opposite... any Bst should be able to tell it is self targeted. I've had Bombs in Garlaige blow up while chasing me and have them die but hit nobody with self destruct. Was a long time ago so maybe I'm crazy but was pretty sure that's how they worked.
    Anytime I'd release my pet after they readied SD but before it went off, I'd have an angry bomb on my ass...
    If it's self targeted, I can't understand how that would happen.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

ive noticed that super jumping a self-destruct will also stop it from finishing it. havent tried fighting clusters tho.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fistandantilus
    Anytime I'd release my pet after they readied SD but before it went off, I'd have an angry bomb on my ass...
    If it's self targeted, I can't understand how that would happen.
    same.

the above situation maybe, it would depend on how far through the animation it gets. i wouldn't wanna test it though lol.

idk if this helps cause i read through it kinda quick and got a bit confused but w/e while solo killing despot ph when it readys meltdown ive ran away and got far enough to not take dmg but mob still blows and i get xp.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Self-destruct and meltdown aren't self target, but you can run out of range during the animation and they will still go off. If the person/pet that had aggro at the start of the tp move dies/desummons/zones or whatever it will cancel the move completely. If the bomb is being kited way out of range, they won't ever self-destruct, but can still berserk iirc.

I haven't messed around with this mob outside of fighting it normally, and I'm no smn, but if it follows the same rules as normal mob bomb self destruct, you might be able to desummon the pet that had aggro to cancel it. Maybe have one dude with carby on standby to grab it while everyone else release at the same time during SD, than resummon and sic, standby dude release/resummons his and repeat on each SD. No idea if that would really work, just throwing it out there.

Clusters' self-destruct, and other AoE mob ws moves, don't just target the person with hate. They target anyone else in the area too who may be on their hate list. If the target with main hate becomes no longer valid, and someone else on the hate list is still in the aoe range, the tp move will go off. If the main target is no longer valid, and there is no one else that can be selected as a valid target in aoe radius, the tp move just doesn't happen past "readies..."

I see it all the time kiting Long-Armed Chariot, and he readies discharge or inertial stream. If I'm out of range, nothing happens. No out of range message, just nothing happens. But if someone else is too close beside me when it would go off, it still goes off, just doesn't hit me.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Aihree
    Clusters' self-destruct, and other AoE mob ws moves, don't just target the person with hate. They target anyone else in the area too who may be on their hate list. If the target with main hate becomes no longer valid, and someone else on the hate list is still in the aoe range, the tp move will go off. If the main target is no longer valid, and there is no one else that can be selected as a valid target in aoe radius, the tp move just doesn't happen past "readies..."
    By valid do you mean in range, or do you just mean alive/in-zone? Normal bombs/dolls will finish casting self-destuct with no-one in range, as long as the initial target hasn't died/zoned/superjumped. If I release my pet as bst during SD, it most definitely stops SD, and the bomb comes after me. And if I'm kiting on rdm and a doll readies meltdown, it still kills itself even if I'm out of range by the time it goes off.

If you die while something is casting magic on you it'll finish on someone else ;3

Normal bombs and dolls may differ in that regard where the current target is out of range and there are no other valid targets in range.

Actualy, don't clusters have 2 types of self-destruct, one that just blows up a single bomb and one that blows up all remaining (up to 3) at once?

I could have sworn I've seen a three-bomb self-destruct once.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Aihree
    Normal bombs and dolls may differ in that regard where the current target is out of range and there are no other valid targets in range.

Actualy, don't clusters have 2 types of self-destruct, one that just blows up a single bomb and one that blows up all remaining (up to 3) at once?

I could have sworn I've seen a three-bomb self-destruct once.
    At low HP, normal clusters can full self-destruct, not sure about the nm.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj36/exstig/bomb.jpg

Didn't happen often but happy when it does happen.