+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

California Cell Phone Law going into effect July 1, 2008

I don't watch the news so if something isn't on Sportscenter, The Soup, or Best Week Ever then chances are that I won't hear about it until after the fact. I just found out today that a new law will go into effect in California. You wont be allowed to talk on the phone while driving. Must use Bluetooth or speakerphone. Only effects drivers. Passengers are OK.
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/cellularphonelaws/index.htm

I luckily have Bluetooth built into my car so I was never really in danger despite my ignorance. Just giving you losers a heads up because I know a lot of you rarely go see the outside world.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Re: California Cell Phone Law went into effect June 1, 2008

Doesn't the link you just provided say July 1, 2008?

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

been that way in DC for a while now. major difference between a tiny ass city and an entire state though

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

I think Illinois has that same law, but I don't ever see it enforced. I just remember reading newspapers about requiring drives to use hands-free communication from now on (Sometime 2 years ago?)

Illinois, New York, and CT too

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerios
    lolz yes

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raze Azrael
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Quote Originally Posted by zimzy
    lolz yes
    D:

i think he's from the future!!!!

anyway... yeah its about time this law goes in effect

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Re: California Cell Phone Law went into effect July 1, 2008

i'm sure many people here have seen idiots driving while on a cell phone, or have nearly been hit by one of them (almost everyday for me, i live in retard, USA i swear)

though i'm sure ALL of us here who can drive and have cellphones have used them without a handsfree device while driving, there are situations where it's definitely a bad idea, i.e. heavy traffic hours or in generally congested traffic

most times it's safe if it's just a quick 1 minute call and you're not totally engaged in a heavy conversation while dodging cars like fucking frogger, but most often than not, just don't do it

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lordshin
    Quote Originally Posted by zimzy
    lolz yes
    D:

i think he's from the future!!!!

anyway... yeah its about time this law goes in effect
    I dunno what you guys are talking about. The thread title clearly says July. Your monitor must be faulty

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Reality
    i'm sure many people here have seen idiots driving while on a cell phone, or have nearly been hit by one of them (almost everyday for me, i live in retard, USA i swear)

though i'm sure ALL of us here who can drive and have cellphones have used them without a handsfree device while driving, there are situations where it's definitely a bad idea, i.e. heavy traffic hours or in generally congested traffic

most times it's safe if it's just a quick 1 minute call and you're not totally engaged in a heavy conversation while dodging cars like fucking frogger, but most often than not, just don't do it
    My gf's family friend died this last Xmas because he was checking scores on his phone while driving. His family was in the car too. His wife and two kids were seriously injured but they survived.

Sucks that their Xmas is ruined forever just because their husband/father took his eye off the road to play with his phone

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by wyrmtung
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality

My gf's family friend died this last Xmas because he was checking scores on his phone while driving. His family was in the car too. His wife and two kids were seriously injured but they survived.

Sucks that their Xmas is ruined forever just because their husband/father took his eye off the road to play with his phone

Wow that sucks, sorry to hear that. I for one and REALLY glad they passed this law, I hope it becomes national in the not so distant future.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Wow you're up late.

These laws are a joke. NJ passed this law a while ago and everyone still talks/texts while driving right passed the cops and they don't pull anyone over.

It's just like driving in the left lane and not passing anyone, it's illegal but you'll never get pulled over for it.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

theres only 2 or 3 states in which its illegal to drive in left lane without passing

This is a retarded law.

It's not the fact that someone is holding a phone with one of their hands that is the problem it's the conversation that is engaging the brain and making them lose focus on driving. Whether you're holding it, have one of those gay earpieces or it's built into your car you're just as unsafe as anyone else talking on the phone while driving.

This law solves nothing.

well let me re-phrase. In most cases the conversation itself is the problem but obviously dialing or texting is a problem as well just cause you're not looking where you're going. It's just another way for them to ticket people to make some money.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya
    This is a retarded law.

It's not the fact that someone is holding a phone with one of their hands that is the problem it's the conversation that is engaging the brain and making them lose focus on driving. Whether you're holding it, have one of those gay earpieces or it's built into your car you're just as unsafe as anyone else talking on the phone while driving.

This law solves nothing.

well let me re-phrase. In most cases the conversation itself is the problem but obviously dialing or texting is a problem as well just cause you're not looking where you're going. It's just another way for them to ticket people to make some money.
    Yup. I was going to post the exact same thing. They've done studies that show a driver's level of concentration is directly related to their ability to react. It has nothing to do with whether or not the driver is holding the phone or using hands-free. Hell, Mythbusters did a feature on it, where they were able to show the similarity of engaging in a conversation on the phone that required a lot of thought to driving while intoxicated. Obviously these laws are thought up by lawmakers who only want to further their political agenda by appearing to "make a difference" when, as usual, they wind up doing nothing in the end.

Ridill
    BG Level

lol..I live in IL I didnt know that. Ive gone past a few cops with my cell phone and they havnt done anything. tho I live in Kankakee, so they have real crimes to worry about.

This law is probably made into effect so that if you hit someone because you were texting/talking on the cellphone without handsfree they can give you a big fine...

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

This law has been in australia for some time, it's mainly aimed at younger people. Older people are a bit more smart/road experienced, younger people tend to be more retarded and focus more on the phone than the phone booth they're driving into.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    E'jusana Rhea
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Yeah we have had the laws here in the UK for a couple of years too

lol @ phone vs phone booth