+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: New Notorious Monsters (06/04/2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilthas
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrno
    FF11 being a main series game, or not is an entirely different matter, but what most anti-FF11 (but FF fans) prey is the lack of story which we all now is not the case, and some of the story seen in CoP and ToA are just on par with the PS/2 games, not quite with 4 and 6 tho.
    People really need to take off the nostalgia goggles before posting.

Ohh, how so? Because I can't have my own opinion about what are the best storylines in FF games?
    Oh you're allowed to have an opinion, its just that the storylines on the SNES were so basic that the only way I can see people considering them better than stuff we've seen lately is because they look at them with nostalgia instead of with objectivity.
    Oh so you are telling me that stories such as 4, 6 (and i will throw CT in for that matter) are worst than the PS/2 iterations? I really doubt so, specially after 10 and 12 which stories are certainly not the high points on the games, neither for 9. Only 8 trump them storywise.

Probably 4 is the one with the weakest story from the 3 i named just now, however it was the one that turned the tide from the mindless "you are the bunch of heroes that have to save the world just because" into a dramatic/romantic/tragic stories that are characteristics from the FF name.

So you say I need to be objective to see how FF12 has a better story than 6? I only see a better system, I don't see any better stories or character development in there at all.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

On the old school FFs having better storylines... I respect your opinion, but I disagree completely.
    I love FF12's story unlike most people.

FF12, 9 and 7 are my favorites in the series storyline wise.
    FFV is just awesome due to the job system though, FFX-2 is good in that department as well, it probably has my 2nd favorite job system behind 12.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Oh you're allowed to have an opinion, its just that the storylines on the SNES were so basic that the only way I can see people considering them better than stuff we've seen lately is because they look at them with nostalgia instead of with objectivity.
    basic my @$$, FFIV had so many epic moments that few games have done since. RPGs nowadays don't have the guts to do what FFIV constantly did. make you really feel attached to some of the characters than got rid of them not knowing if you'll get them back.

[spoiler:1ykt8s3a]Palom, Porom, Cid, Kain, Rydia[/spoiler:1ykt8s3a]

and there still hasn't been a villain quite like Kefka.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I liked FFVIII, it's one of the more underrated FF's of the series with a unique story-line, a PIME TARADOX!!!Did i do that right?

Rainbow Dash was here,
    Applejack is a silly filly.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic
    On the old school FFs having better storylines... I respect your opinion, but I disagree completely.

FFV is just awesome due to the job system though, FFX-2 is good in that department as well, it probably has my 2nd favorite job system behind 12.
    Finally you let me disagree with you, somewhat. You just had to go and fuck it up by not completely destroying X-2.

I liked 1&2 (Originals, not four rereleased as two), they were difficult for their times and what I started with. I learned to read because of FF1 and Super Mario Bros 3. This isn't just nostalgia talking either, I regularly go back and replay FF1 because I like the gameplay and story line, I love the boss fights and the dungeon crawling. FF2 I didn't grow up on and got a translated ROM (which sucked horribly, might I add) after I started replaying FF1 regularly, but loved all the same.

I completely skipped 3-6 for various reasons (JP releases, too lazy to go back, etc).

FFVII... Yeah, it was fun. Great story line and lots of side quests to do, and it was a really great game dont get me wrong... but god damn it if I'll say that it's the best game ever like a lot of FFVII fans. It's just not that good.

FFVIII was innovative.

FFIX was amazing. I can still remember most of the upside down dungeon, where your attack is better the lower it is and such, room for room.

FFX is my favorite. I'll admit it wasn't the absolute best one and I accept that most people outright hate it for various reasons (Tidus being a bitch, Sphere Grid being too complex[lol], etc). However, I love this game, it's a game I'll regularly pick up just to play Blitzball, I've got over 200 hours on a single game file that's got everything but one dungeon done. I may be overestimating the fun of Blitzball when I say this, but I honestly think that if they took Blitzball, gave it a storyline and increased the gameplay more it'd be an excellent game on it's own.

FFX-2, I liked way more than I should have probably because FFX is my favorite. I still dont see what people are talking about when they say there's no real gameplay when they dont have above 60% completed files. Loved the job changing system.

FFXII I play daily in the form of an MMO. If you dont like the automatic play, dont use 'em.

Yes there has been. Her name was Rita Repulsa.

FFVI(III) - still my favorite, imo best story and depth of each character. And had the most evil guy possible.

FFVII - Great game also. Good story, fairly well developed characters. Cool system with the materia.

FFVIII - i hated hated hated, still hate, this game.

FFIX - Loved it because it took it back to the basics of FF - last game with a world map

FFX - I actually thought the sphere system was cool, it wasn't confusing at all and it could make your characters fairly customizable

FFX-2 - Had a really really fun battle system <_<; i said it!

FFXII - game overall was fun. the system in this one wasn't that great imo. story lacked a little, and the game its self was too melee based for a 1player rpg. I like using magic to blow stuff up =(

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I love seeing people give FFIX the props it deserved. FFIX will always be the best in my eyes. It was the perfect throwback to the classics. It had clear characters, Freya, and a great story. If the ending didn't make you elated then you're a geech.

FFX was the best value for my dollar. 250+hr's 100% complete. I think that translates to something like $.02 per hour I played. Aside from the horrible VA it was visually stunning for it's time and just all around fun. Blitzball was a great in-game game too.

FFVII will always be a great game, but it's hype overshadows many superior FF's, like FFIII.

OP: Super Pumped.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Norgannon

So that means you liked the Star Wars series, because 12's story is damn near a direct rip off...

lolVaan = Luke
    lolAshe = hawtLeia (the miniskirt is what made me buy the fucking game)
    lolBash = Han Solo
    lolbunnybitch = http://upsidedownhippo.com/archives/chewbacca.jpg

Also what job system? In 12 with less than 40 hours of playtime you can have every character able to cast every spell, use every weapon, technique, and accesories. The only thing that makes any character in FF12 a "job" is what weapon you equip, and what armor you use, other than that, the slight variance in stats at equal levels gives certain characters a tendancy, but hardly locks them into a specific role.
    Besides, tanking anything in that game is pathetically easy once you know how to make gambits.

1st : FF6 - epic
    2nd : FF7 - moar epic
    3rd : FF9 - Enjoyed the ability system/art
    4th : FFXI - for the peoples

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil
    basic my @$$, FFIV had so many epic moments that few games have done since. RPGs nowadays don't have the guts to do what FFIV constantly did. make you really feel attached to some of the characters than got rid of them not knowing if you'll get them back.

[spoiler:2um84ha2]Palom, Porom, Cid, Kain, Rydia, Yang[/spoiler:2um84ha2]

[spoiler:2um84ha2]Fixed.[/spoiler:2um84ha2]

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote
    FFX was the best value for my dollar. 250+hr's 100% complete. I think that translates to something like $.02 per hour I played. Aside from the horrible VA it was visually stunning for it's time and just all around fun. Blitzball was a great in-game game too.
    Oh man, I almost totally agreed until you mentioned Blitzball, that mini-game was so shitty imo.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsy

So that means you liked the Star Wars series, because 12's story is damn near a direct rip off...
    while i'm no big fan of the FF12 story, your analogies are stupid.

Vaan is completely unimportant to the plot after he facilitates the meeting for Ashe, Balthier and Basch. if Luke's only purpose was to introduce Han Solo to Leia and serve as a POV character, i think i really need to watch SW again.

Vayne is nothing like Vader, and Balthier was much more Han Solo than Basch.

the only thing really SW-esque about FF12 was the storm trooper like marching of troops in the beginning and the desert environment of the starting area.

Zoot

Don't really think "overhyped" is relative, although it's true that when the game came out FFIII/VI was just as hyped as any other FF.

What really makes it stand out is that it was such a good game for its time, it did with pixies and a 32 bit system what square continues to do with graphics, which is bring out the most they can from the system. It was also very, very fun to play and one of the most non-linear, lots of replay value, so many hidden items and side missions...but really there's no reason to go into why the game was so good. I've got like, a freaking essay on all of the things that make it my favorite game.

I completely understand why people wouldn't relate to how much so many people love this game, because it's likely that those people who dislike it didn't play the game when it came out. If you were brought into the gamer sphere in the era of pixies the older games have a nostalgic connection because the graphics were the best for their time. It isn't really vain - games have always been progressive in graphics because it is a visual interactive medium. Even a very enjoyable game can feel bleh if the graphics aren't up to standard with what you play now, or even five years ago.

1= Really good, quite challenging which is welcome, great length. Couldn't fault it.
    2=Wank, shitty levelling system, overly hard dungeons.
    3=Played it just to complete playing them all and it wasn't worth it, too easy, crappy job systems, pretty short.
    4=Epic, great story and characters, perfect difficulty, I could go on forever.
    5=Really, really enjoyed it, good story, great job and levelling system, good length.
    6=However much I enjoyed it I wouldn't play it through again, rather easy, didn't seem too long even after doing practically everything in the game, great story and characters.
    7=If it had some harder boss than the weapons I couldn't fault this game, loads of additional things to do besides the main story line, characters and story were great, materia system was great.
    8=Pretty good, was a nice change to have one set in the future more, good learning system with GFs, nice additional content, great story and characters.
    9=Possibly my favourite, just loved everything about it except the lack of additional content, the story was perfect but I'd play 9 forever if there was enough additional content to keep challenging.
    10=lol, I never played Blitzball outside the game in the story line cus it was shit IMO, stupid system, nice length and amount of additional content though, characters were all gay.
    11=Probably the worst
    12=fail, too easy, too short, characters sucked, story was ok, system was stupid with everyone being able to learn everything.

Your post makes no sense because it bashes 12 for being able to learn everything when thats been in almost all of the FF games. . . .
    FF2, FF5,FF6,FF7,FF8,FF10, FF12

FF3 if you count that? Its technically not on at the same time though

Over half of the main series allows you to learn everything how can you bash one game for that?

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

[attachment=0:k6c1jpmw]kefka!!.gif[/attachment:k6c1jpmw]

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Oh so you are telling me that stories such as 4, 6 (and i will throw CT in for that matter) are worst than the PS/2 iterations? I really doubt so, specially after 10 and 12 which stories are certainly not the high points on the games, neither for 9. Only 8 trump them storywise.

Probably 4 is the one with the weakest story from the 3 i named just now, however it was the one that turned the tide from the mindless "you are the bunch of heroes that have to save the world just because" into a dramatic/romantic/tragic stories that are characteristics from the FF name.
    FF8 is FF4 with better graphics and more emphasis on the Love Story aspect. The story made no more sense than 4, probably less so because they threw in time travel. Monsters all come from the moon and they make a big column once in a while to run through space to the earth. Oh, and there's little girls who are Sorcerresses which is kind of like the Highlander. Makes lots of sense.

Throw in FF2's bizarre leveling system with a lame version of FF7's materia system and battles that are longer and less interesting and you have FF8's battle system.
    Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme
    Your post makes no sense because it bashes 12 for being able to learn everything when thats been in almost all of the FF games. . . .

Over half of the main series allows you to learn everything how can you bash one game for that?
    Was there a DS remake or something where they changed this completely?

Every character had unique abilities that the others can't learn.

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme

I know what I mean, in 12 you can learn everything in about 5 minutes, it takes a long time to in 10, 2 sucks so I don't care about that and in 5 you can't use everything at once. FF6 7 and 8 you don't find yourself using everything, at least I never anyway.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Re: FF Games - Which is best (VII of course)

In about 5min?
    You aren't fooling anyone but yourself buddy.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Re: FF Games - Which is best (VII of course)

All the characters in 12 were basically carbon-copies of one another in its battle-system. I loved the story but the battle-system really did suck.

EDIT: Well, not suck but left something to be desired.