+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Black Belt
    BG Level

Re: FF Games - Which is best (VII of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    Same thing with Yu Yevon, even though it wasn't a real fight.
    you know what/who Yu Yevon is for a long time. the only mystery about Yu Yevon was how weak his true form is.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil
    Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    Same thing with Yu Yevon, even though it wasn't a real fight.
    you know what/who Yu Yevon is for a long time. the only mystery about Yu Yevon was how weak his true form is.
    Yeah, Yu Yevon is pretty obviously the main villain once you realize the truth behind Yevon like 2/3 to 3/4 through the game. He also would be pretty hard if you had the Magus Sisters, except for the Auto-Revive thing.

FF9 is ok at best. Yeah, it reminds you of the old games. What's the problem with that? The old games were better! If you want to be reminded of them, go play them instead of playing a mediocre 3D rehash. Hell, Necron even used Neo-Exdeath's attacks. I mean come on, that's pretty lame.

As a side note, anyone who mentions FFIV being awesome for its story loses all credibility forever. Great groundbreaking game, fun ATB systems and all, but the story is garbage. Randomly killing main characters and reviving them, riding a whale to the moon to defeat what is essentially the 2D Necron, bah! The early Cecil/Kain dynamics are the only decent things about the story, the rest is just filler to give you a reason to smack stuff around in new locations.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBob
    As a side note, anyone who mentions FFIV being awesome for its story loses all credibility forever. Great groundbreaking game, fun ATB systems and all, but the story is garbage. Randomly killing main characters and reviving them, riding a whale to the moon to defeat what is essentially the 2D Necron, bah! The early Cecil/Kain dynamics are the only decent things about the story, the rest is just filler to give you a reason to smack stuff around in new locations.
    you're stupid? every RPG storyline is a reason to give you a reason to go from one location to the next. sure it has flaws (namely the boss and the revival of most characters) but their initial reasons for "dying" weren't random.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

you're stupid? every RPG storyline is a reason to give you a reason to go from one location to the next. sure it has flaws (namely the boss and the revival of most characters) but their initial reasons for "dying" weren't random.
    Every storyline does that, yes. But FFIV does it poorly, and many of its storyline points are tacked on, like riding a fucking whale to the moon and fighting the angry moon-man (Zemus) turned into the even angrier dead moon-man (Zeromus) after discovering you're actually from the moon. I'm not saying it's the worst plot ever, but it's also not even close to being good. I think a lot of people just remember the plot as being good because they were 8 at the time, not because it's actually decent.

Also, killing the characters becomes "random" when you keep doing it over and over. Porom and Palom was fine. Yang's death was pushing it. Cid blowing himself up with explosives strapped to his chest while jumping out of an airship and somehow surviving was just retarded.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

When you think about the time the game was released, and what plot lines in video games consisted of at that point (remember, gems of storytelling like Bad Dudes were only a year or so old at this point), FF IV is equivalent of War and Peace. Nowadays it's cliched and very rough around the edges, but at the time it was groundbreaking to have such an involved story in a video game.

It's the same deal with the character designs in 6. Some of them may seem kind of stupid nowadays, but characters like Edgar and Gau were really new ideas for how to present "heroes"

Black Belt
    BG Level

Every storyline does that, yes. But FFIV does it poorly, and many of its storyline points are tacked on, like riding a fucking whale to the moon and fighting the angry moon-man (Zemus) turned into the even angrier dead moon-man (Zeromus) after discovering you're actually from the moon. I'm not saying it's the worst plot ever, but it's also not even close to being good. I think a lot of people just remember the plot as being good because they were 8 at the time, not because it's actually decent.
    i hated that part when i first played the game, if they would've ended the game at Golbez it would've been perfect. the best parts of the game are the characters and how Golbez isn't incompetent, like pretty much every FF character outside of Kefka and Delita.

Also, killing the characters becomes "random" when you keep doing it over and over. Porom and Palom was fine. Yang's death was pushing it. Cid blowing himself up with explosives strapped to his chest while jumping out of an airship and somehow surviving was just retarded.
    i forgot villains exist purely to give you experience and items, i forgot that the point of most villains was not to try and thwart your plans by any means necessary. i forgot that it's necessary for all evil plans to fail because they are done by evil characters.

the reason it happens over and over again in FFIV was because the villains didn't suck as horribly as the ones in other games. sometimes when they try to stop you, it actually works (if only for a short time).

it's not the best story ever (Ogre Battle has the best RPG story ever), but for its time it was exceptional and it still has many elements that are unmatched (not being able to tell whether you like Kain or hate him).

So because your opinion differs from those that think the opposite about FFIV that makes us lose all credibility?

That just makes you stupid saying that. If you don't like it, fine. But don't come here talking bullshit about people that did. A story doesn't have to be coherent or have logic to be good (oh hello MGS games.)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

What are you talking about, a bunch of people controlling and manipulating the US is totally logical!

Who cares, they're games. They're not supposed to make sense.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Khrno

So because your opinion differs from those that think the opposite about FFIV that makes us lose all credibility?

That just makes you stupid saying that. If you don't like it, fine. But don't come here talking bullshit about people that did. A story doesn't have to be coherent or have logic to be good (oh hello MGS games.)
    Yikes, look like I struck a nerve with that one, haha. It's fine for you to like the game, but take the nostalgia goggles off and look at it objectively for once. It's a good, groundbreaking game, but the storyline is not the highlight, and is not the masterpiece many people seem to herald it as.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I should stay away from this section...I feel like disagreeing with everyone every damn time I come here.

Quote Originally Posted by Khrno
    Coherant: marked by an orderly, logical, and aesthetically consistent relation of parts;

What do you mean by this? Can you give me an example of why MGS isnt coherant or doesnt have any logics?

What you probably mean is that it doesn't have to be close to reality, because a story need to follow logic to make some sense. Every part need to be consistent, and you can't go back on what is established. I don't think anything like this ever happened in MGS's universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbob

...and where is your point in all this? You can dumb down any story by making it sound ridiculous, but there is more to it. I'm not saying it's that great by today standard, but you can't just compare different generation like this.

Try naming games that had better characters and were released before FFIV. I cant think of any. Imo, ff4 was a huge step in story telling in video game, and you got to give it credit for that

Starless

On topic, 5 is my favorite Final Fantasy. Just about every other FF I can think of has been bogged down with waaaaaay too many main characters, while 5 had (lol) 5. That's it. And it worked.

Off topic, speaking about main characters, I remember hearing Basch was originally going to be the original character of 12. Can anyone confirm this? The game would've been so much greater if he had, and Vaan had been the mandatory useless Yuffie character that joins your party for no reason, and you can safely ignore.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

6 and 8 are probably my two favorites. Although 4/5/9 are all close behind.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

FFT ofc

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    Coherant: marked by an orderly, logical, and aesthetically consistent relation of parts;

What do you mean by this? Can you give me an example of why MGS isnt coherant or doesnt have any logics?

What you probably mean is that it doesn't have to be close to reality, because a story need to follow logic to make some sense. Every part need to be consistent, and you can't go back on what is established. I don't think anything like this ever happened in MGS's universe.
    Yea I made a mistake with the wording of my example but that's what I meant. Not in a literally sense at all.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Just downloaded the PC version of Final Fantasy 7.. never finished the game when I still had my PSX so this should be quite the adventure! I have a torrent of FF8 for PC too, I just hafta start the download before I leave for the weekend so it'll be done when I get back on Monday.

Now if they'd only make a PC version of FFX...

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I had been meaning to play the PC version of FF8... mostly because I didn't have a pocketstation(that's what it was called right?) and could never play that little chocobo minigame!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4