+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

FF Games - Which is best (VII of course)

tactics orge series was the only series that comes close or surpasses fft (and i guess a/a2) if you ask me. FFTA/a2 would be so much better in my eyes if it wasent for the god damn baby storyline, i can barely even stomach playing it because of it. I want my old school epic wtfisgoingon political saga back.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Re: New Notorious Monsters (06/04/2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    Since when are plot mobs hard in FF games? Storyline mobs/bosses are always easy with the oddball hard one or two. FF12 which I played recently, I can't say I ever struggled on anything that the story threw at me, yet the hunts, side story, were a different case. Hell I beat FF7 with level50 chars and no KotR or anything (looking back at the save file, I had weird things like Earth materia tied to Shiva and stupid things like that, had no idea what the system was).

Maybe it's because I got the shitty PAL version of FFX that surprisingly got the International stuff including Dark Aeons and a whole ton of endgame content.
    Final Fantasy 5 JP and FF2JP(NES) are probably the most challenging FF's they did. Square dumbed the difficulty down a whole lot when FF5 came out with anthology

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lordender
    Since when are plot mobs hard in FF games? Storyline mobs/bosses are always easy with the oddball hard one or two. FF12 which I played recently, I can't say I ever struggled on anything that the story threw at me, yet the hunts, side story, were a different case. Hell I beat FF7 with level50 chars and no KotR or anything (looking back at the save file, I had weird things like Earth materia tied to Shiva and stupid things like that, had no idea what the system was).

Maybe it's because I got the shitty PAL version of FFX that surprisingly got the International stuff including Dark Aeons and a whole ton of endgame content.
    Final Fantasy 5 JP and FF2JP(NES) are probably the most challenging FF's they did. Square dumbed the difficulty down a whole lot when FF5 came out with anthology
    FF5 wasn't dumbed down at all actually, they literally left it the same.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Lordender

Yea, if you play the GBA version of 5 they up'd it a little, I noticed it was harder than the NES playthrough when I did it. Sidenote, FFIV for DS = HAAWT :3

Zoot

I think he was mistaken with FFIV released as FFII here in the states and oh my god I just looked at the topic name and section, and was really surprised I wasn't posting in the RPG forum.

Anyways hardest boss for me was the very first time I played FFIII and I came back to Narshe to fight Kefka for the first time, you know the battle through the maze in the snowy mountains. Sounds easy, but I had no idea how to progress in that game and all my characters were like level 9-10, I had no veldt songs, no moogle dances except the default ones you get, or really anything. Hey, I know, I was like nine.

And the only reason I didn't like X is that I wasn't a huge fan of voice overs. I've always enjoyed the "reading a book" feel to playing an RPG and Yuna's Shatner pause just didn't do it for me. But me being stubborn about that really had nothing to do with the gameplay.

Off Topic: FF9 is the best FF of the mainstream series, FFIII/VI is an overhyped piece of nostalgiaware, etc.

On Topic: I'm really trying my hardest not to get my hopes up too high about this particular thing here. On one hand, Force Pop Battles! 50 new items! On the other hand, I know 50 new items is probably just doublespeak for "20 new items, 20 HQ versions of these items that cost 300% more than the NQ, 10 bluebox versions of the least useful new items that cost as much as a salvage body". It's so hard to be optimistic. ; ; I really hope they do something right.

Also, that Sword is fucking gnarly. I hope warrior can use it. :Q

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

It came as a surprise to me when SE announced a loss in their fiscal year 2008 report but this could be a blessing in disguise because it cuts down most of the mobile phone crap which often never gets ported stateside anyway (Before Crisis anyone?). The spinoffs aren't so bad for the most part but they've done an increasingly stupid job of alienating fanbases by choosing to create sequels on totally different platforms.

Revenant Wings should never have happened. My C&C could run smoother on a 486 back in the day compared to the crappy game that RW was. It also killed the high artistic style that XII had sought to achieve by cartooning everyone.. sad. Even X-2 was way better.

Mobile phone releases are the worst. I'm glad those are being cut down.. Hopefully stuff that have been released like FFIV: The After and FFVII: Before Crisis and maybe DoC: Lost Episode will ever make it out of Japan. The idiot planners at their JP boardroom need to know that their gamers aren't just in Japan alone and that their fans overseas get pissed that they aren't getting ports which they feel they deserve to get. Hell, FF isn't half as popular as DQ (DW) is in Japan, (but DW doesn't have shit on FF overseas at all), so SE should at least have the basic marketing sense to maintain fanbases around the world but supporting them with releases.

FFXI wasn't discussed in budget cuts and I doubt it'll ever be. Just do the math... Its been making the most money for the company after breaking even.

to clarify..
    FF5 was never dumbed down for US audiences..
    FF4 was dumbed down as FFII (US) but had its difficulty somewhat reverted in the GBA port.
    FF1 was heavily dumbed down in the GBA remake and has stayed that way for the PSP remake as well (tho its actually more fun this way)
    FF2 was broken before it was ported, but is still broken. And because of this its one of the more "challenging" ones if you don't know how to beat the system...
    FF3 was better without job levels in the original imo, or that job change weakness bs...

My fave FF was VIII.

Anyway I do hope for Alexander (the alzadaal looking one, not the robot)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

People talking about the old school FF games should go read this if they haven't already.

Whoever mentioned FF2 being great either meant FF4 (which I would agree with, the one starring Cecil, Kain, Rosa, etc) or was pretty high when he wrote that.

And loving FF9, but crapping all over FF6 which it basically was trying to be is just

And loving FF9, but crapping all over FF6 which it basically was trying to be is just
    Let it be known that calling something overhyped is crapping all over it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by evilpaul
    People talking about the old school FF games should go read this if they haven't already.

Whoever mentioned FF2 being great either meant FF4 (which I would agree with, the one starring Cecil, Kain, Rosa, etc) or was pretty high when he wrote that.

Same guy has a comic found here that I rather enjoy.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

How did this epic thread turn into old FF game discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by Therin
    How did this epic thread turn into old FF game discussion!

That's because: New NMs are fail, old FF games are win

Gunitsoldier

Quote Originally Posted by Daimen-G
    Off Topic: FF9 is the best FF of the mainstream series, FFIII/VI is an overhyped piece of nostalgiaware, etc.

Offtopic: AGREED.

Ontopic: I hope the limit on points you're able to get each day is set correct or RMT's will exploit this so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Khrno
    FF11 being a main series game, or not is an entirely different matter, but what most anti-FF11 (but FF fans) prey is the lack of story which we all now is not the case, and some of the story seen in CoP and ToA are just on par with the PS/2 games, not quite with 4 and 6 tho.
    People really need to take off the nostalgia goggles before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilthas
    FF11 being a main series game, or not is an entirely different matter, but what most anti-FF11 (but FF fans) prey is the lack of story which we all now is not the case, and some of the story seen in CoP and ToA are just on par with the PS/2 games, not quite with 4 and 6 tho.

Ohh, how so? Because I can't have my own opinion about what are the best storylines in FF games?

assburgers
    BG Level

[spoiler:12luenjr]12 didn't suck me in.
    11 has some strange subliminal messaging that makes me overlook the flaws.
    10 was pretty, and had some neat stuff, but the whole ultimate weapons+dream+last boss just made me dislike it more and more.
    I liked 9 just because of Vivi's "What do you mean I'm a soulless killing machine?"
    8... card game rocked, fuck Squall, srsly.
    7 was awesome through the gaze of nostalgia, but isn't the perfect game it's made out to be sometimes.
    6 was great just cause kefka won.
    My anthology with 5 and 6 had a horrible gouge on the 5 Disc so I've never gotten more than an hour into it.
    Can't wait to play 4 on the DS with my girlfriend, she and I loved the 3 remake, never did 2, and 1 I got into briefly til my NES died over a decade ago.

Would be nice if the new sword is a joyeuse statswise for Blu and Pld and shit.[/spoiler:12luenjr]

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Max™
    Spoilers
    Theres a spoiler tag for that shit you stupid asshole.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBob
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerith
    Quote Originally Posted by byte
    Quote Originally Posted by SeraphusRagnarok
    Final Fantasy should have stopped at 10.(Not including 11, because it was originally just FF Online)

Go milk another franchise like Chrono Trigger,Parasite Eve,Bushido Blade,Brave Fencer Musashi,Ehrgeiz(omg),Saga Frontier,Mana games that don't suck.
    Final Fantasy should have stopped at 9. lol10
    9 was garbage, 10 was awesome, lolyou.
    Except for getting the ultimate weapons (fucking chocobo racing) then almost one-shotting anything in the last stage. Or except for the last boss, where you are given undispellable Auto-Life and it is impossible to lose. After all that, they could've at least pretended to challenge us. Chrono Cross, same thing.

I'm not sure if SE milking Vagrant Story would be a good thing or a bad thing.
    You're an idiot. That final boss is a storyline fight. The Final Aeon is the actual final boss, but apparently you don't play many RPGs. That's like saying the final fight with Cloud vs. Sephiroth in FFVII is "too easy" since you kill him in one hit.

Also, I don't know of a single RPG where getting all the insane super ultimate weapons doesn't make the main fights too easy. They're there for fighting the super optional bosses, which FFX was not lacking in.

GTFO
    Since when are plot mobs hard in FF games?
    Not since Astos in the first game. And there were three stages to Sephiroth: fight, fight, interactive cutscene. The third didn't feel cheap after having won the first two (with level 50-ish characters at that).

I'm not complaining because FFX was easy (I can't remember a FF before XI or XII where using the same attack every round wasn't a brilliant strategy) but that the final bosses had no illusion of challenge.

I cede the point about the ultimate weapons making things easy, but they were also pretty easy to obtain (racing chocobos, dodging lightning, etc, was more about your patience as a player than about your character levels) so can you really fault me for grabbing them to be prepared for the big bad final boss? Then again, I wasted time in FFIX gearing up my characters for the battle with the four fiends cutscene.

On-topic:
    A limit will also be imposed on the number of points that can be earned in one Vana'dielian day (one Earth hour).
    Done right, this could be addiction-forming.

Ohh, how so? Because I can't have my own opinion about what are the best storylines in FF games?
    Oh you're allowed to have an opinion, its just that the storylines on the SNES were so basic that the only way I can see people considering them better than stuff we've seen lately is because they look at them with nostalgia instead of with objectivity.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Oh you're allowed to have an opinion, its just that the storylines on the SNES were so basic that the only way I can see people considering them better than stuff we've seen lately is because they look at them with nostalgia instead of with objectivity.

Objectivity is something, but comparing something new to something old without considering a) when it was done and b) if they weren't improving on their storytelling capabilities, they would be doingitwrong, is flawed. At the time, it was good. Don't discount it now b/c there has been an obvious progression forward.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast