Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Animated Shield Tips?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Animated Shield Tips?

Did a search but could only find info on the Staff fight, so here goes:

My LS has been debating attempting this as we just started Xarc runs recently. Last night was our second run, we cleared the NMs and got to the Shield with about 15 minutes left, but our puller accidentally aggrod it and it warped before we were ready to attack it. We would have had an extra 15 minutes but a couple of pulls got botched along the way. So ideally we'd be looking to be set to fight it with about 30 minutes remaining.

What I'm wondering is how many people do you normally need to kill the thing? We only field about 15-16 to Xarc at the moment, and we don't really have zerging personel. Can you just beat it down normally with those numbers without needing some sort of BWSE zerg or some shit? And also, are the Satellite Shields kiteable? Any other info/strategy would be appreciated.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Re: Animated Shield Tips?

Elemental Seal Sleepga2 the satellites. If you had proper zerg personnel you could do it with 18 I'd say. Normal setup you'd need like 24+ (That is with some very well equipped melee).

Also, having a person with an Ancile shield bash it will extend the time by like 15 seconds.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Any of the sattelites from any of the Animateds are easy to kite, but that's only ever from aggroing for fun and running, I dunno if they share hate at all. We've always done ES Sleepga II on serious attempts at any of these.

As for shield specifics, I assume there's not a lot different between the others, except that I think you really need Angon and Dia II/III on it (it is a shield, after all).

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Awesome thanks, didn't realize they were sleepable. And the closest we currently have to zerg personel is a 72 OC DRK, lol...so we'll probably just try to round up more members.

Attack it from the back, if possible, casting also seemed to make it more apt to warp, it takes a ton more damage from the back (it is a shield..), with 2k~ hp I was hitting for 450 with Souleater from the back compared to less from the front, beat it on first attempt with no 2hrs, I don't remember what WW dynamis fielded back then, it should have been around 20, but I'd imagine that HQ DD could pound it into the ground. Also, instead of making another thread, I'm looking at Animated Longsword (@3.2k on Caliburn), similarly; any tips on it? My LS now doesn't field as many people for Dynamis so I dunno about it, one Kraken DRK, a few Ridill WARs (a nice BLM army, but I don't know if it causes warp like it seemed to on the Shield.)

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Like I said, use the Caliburn's Knight's of the Round on the Animated Longsword and it stays interested longer. Pair that with a beating from Ridill WARs, Kraken DRK and a couple of nicely geared SAMs and BLMs, you should have no problem.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

When we killed it, we had our Caliburn use KoR a time or two, 1 KC DRK, and 3 MNKs Hundred Fisting with Angon/Feint on (as well as some random DDs), and it went down very fast. I'd suggest bringing 1 NIN for Mijin on this one just in case, and he seemed very unpredictable on whether he warps early or late, despite using the same tactic 4 times in a row minus the KC DRK.

Is there really even any concrete evidence that using the relic WS on the animated weapon makes it stay longer? From what I have gathered from my animated kills, just beating the living fuck out of it is better than going for a certain strategy. As for doing an animated with 15-16 people....it's possible, but you probably have to get lucky and interrupt Warp a bunch of times. Definetely possible, though. Last shield we killed for a member in our shell, we interrupted Warp FIVE times before killing it lol.

Good luck~

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Afrohatch
    Is there really even any concrete evidence that using the relic WS on the animated weapon makes it stay longer? From what I have gathered from my animated kills, just beating the living fuck out of it is better than going for a certain strategy. As for doing an animated with 15-16 people....it's possible, but you probably have to get lucky and interrupt Warp a bunch of times. Definetely possible, though. Last shield we killed for a member in our shell, we interrupted Warp FIVE times before killing it lol.

Good luck~
    Just so I understand properly, the only way to interrupt warp is to piss it the fuck off pretty much?

Unless it was debunked, Mijin Gakure interrupts its' Warp cast

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I don't think anybody farms enough of them and/or pays close enough attention to know anything for certain.

What I DO know is that using the stage 4 relic's WS/Ability against the Animated Weapon makes it backtrack it's emote pattern a few stages.

I don't remember the emotes at all but it went something like this when we farmed the Animated Great Axe

The Animated Great Axe is losing interest.
    The Animated Great Axe is very irritated.
    The Animated Great Axe is highly annoyed.
    etc
    etc
    etc
    Metatron Torment was used.
    The Animated Great Axe is very irritated.

It went back down to a lower "pissed off emote" level when Torment was used.

I've heard that Shield/Weapon Bash interrupt the Warp as well, never tested though, I don't want to lose a Fragment run because I wanted to test Shield Bash at the last second. :/

Never heard the Mijin Gakure thing.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

And no, you DON'T want to piss it off. The faster you climb through the angry emotes, the faster it warps. I think it is very similar to Behemoth in Tier 3 Einherjar in the way it works with emotes.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Belkin
    Never heard the Mijin Gakure thing.
    That's surprising XD There was a thread here about the Animated Staff (I think) where Neosutra (Was it him? Forgive me if I'm wrong) kept arguing that it was never proven, despite many counts of people using it successfully, and really never having many (if any) interrupts otherwise.

Basically, Mijin Gakure on it when it starts Warping and it'll interrupt it. No idea why, it just works. It tries to Warp again a few seconds later, but that few seconds can make the difference between win or lose. We've used it to interrupt 3 warps in a row before to secure a successful kill.

Edit: Checked, yea it was Neosutra.
    viewtopic.php?p=916857#p916857

assburgers
    BG Level

Hey, if a ninja ran up to you and exploded, wouldn't you be curious why?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

15 people (and 4 of them are BLM's and 2 dualboxed, which does jack shit dmg to it since it has such high magic defence, so, technically ~ 11 ppl is enough to win)
    No NIN in ally, we always use pld/nin in Xarc, and we're 100% win on Animated shield for several LS members without Mijin theory.
    As long as you have enough fire power, you will win.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...atedShield.jpg

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I might be wrong but i dont remember any of the shields satellites being sleepable by Light or dark type, 3 blms ES sleepga 2'd them and zero of them slept. Them being kiteable pretty much makes it no hassel to kite em away.

As for the sword, its satellites's are sleepable and if you play the bard rotate card with abilities its easily tp burned. You wouldnt need more then one nin to stop warp as killing it takes about 30-35's with a reg melee ally tp burn with no 2hrs. Its very similar to Dagger and Polearm from the ones i've done.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Haven't done shield frag in a bit but I'm pretty sure subbing nin can help your damage a lot by eating shield bash and not getting stunned. Correct me if I'm wrong though!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mk. 2
    Unless it was debunked, Mijin Gakure interrupts its' Warp cast
    Unless you prove me wrong, god exists.

[spoiler:vn9mpqc2]not really[/spoiler:vn9mpqc2]

terraflarex

I have never Sleepga'd the satellites, usually just have a thf aggro and run like hell while we fight Animated Shield. In terms of damage, I'd say you could probably do it with your numbers if you have SV songs and some good melee. I'm a bit biased on this job for obvious reasons, but Ranger (/WAR) absolutely destroys shield if you come in with full TP and an Icarus wing. Monks are also ridiculously strong on this. (KC drks are the best of course, but if you don't have them, you can definetely still win).

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

To my knowledge the Shield is stunnable using Paladin's Shield Bash but unfortunately I do not have any proof to back that up aside from one Shield run I participated in. I very clearly remember hitting him with Shield Bash and interrupting the spell. But take it with a grain of salt, because like I said, I don't have any pictures of it happening etc.