Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Feielle

Dorje math (BLM advice needed)

Can someone check my math on this? A few quick calculations show that this staff should slightly outperform NQ staves (at least with my set-up as outlined below) but will fall short of HQ ele staves. I think SE is implementing this to try and free up some BLM inventory, but if its gonna be rubbish compared to what I'm already walking around with, then I don't see that its worth the effort.

Prologue: The magic damage formula is as such (credited from damage formula on Alla):

Terminologies
    Elemental Spell Damage - hereafter just called "damage."
    Magic Attack Bonus - abbreviated as "MAB."
    Spell Damage Constant - abbreviated as "SDC."
    Elemental Staff Bonus - abbreviated "ESB."
    Day/Weather Bonus - abbreviated as "DWB."
    INT - you should know what INT stands for.
    Caster INT - abbreviated as "cINT."
    Target INT - abbreviated as "tINT."
    Tier INT Multiplier - abbreviated as "TIM."

Main Formula
    Damage = [(cINT - tINT) x TIM + SDC] x MAB x ESB x DWB

Specifics
    - A 75BLM will have MAB IV as a job trait, which is MAB+1.32 (MAB is calculated as a percentage, thus all gear is actually +% MAB. A Moldy earring is 5%, which is .05 in the equation. A 75 BLM with MAB IV has 132% MAB, or 1.32 in the equation)
    - Currently I am geared to MAB+44 with my nuking gear: Genie, moldy, novio, yigit, sorc ring, ugg pendant, z.mitts
    - COR can increase this by MAB+16 (roll 11)
    - When nuking with Ice or Thunder element (both capped merits) this increases further to MAB+10 (2 per merit)
    - (Obviously I'm talking best-case scenario here, but disregarding weather bonuses as I want to see a difference in MAB vs. ele staves only by boosting my possible MAB as high as possible)

Assuming all of the correct elements are in place (and taking out any possible weather bonuses) that leaves me with a MAB+202. In the equation, that results in a multiplier of 2.02.

Simplifying the formula a bit, lets say that everything within the brackets equated to 10 (for ease of math) that leaves us with 10x MAB x ESB x DWB.

Staves are calculated as NQ=(damage) x 1.10 and HQ=(damage) x 1.15.

MAB, similarly, is calculated by moving the decimal 2 points to the left. My MAB+202 is, as I said above, a multiplier of 2.02.

Math

HQ Stave and current MAB set up:
    10 x 2.02 x 1.15 = 23.23

NQ Stave and current MAB set-up
    10 x 2.02 x 1.10 = 22.22

Dorje Stave (MAB+25) and current MAB set-up
    10 x 2.27 x 1 = 22.70

So, its marginally better than an NQ stave, but falls short of the HQ? Am I calculating this correctly?

Further Calculation

Assuming no gear whatsoever (only MAB IV from job trait as 75 BLM), the Dorje excels over the staves:

HQ stave and no MAB gear:
    10 x 1.32 x 1.15 = 15.18

NQ stave and no MAB gear:
    10 x 1.32 x 1.10 = 14.52

Dorje Stave (MAB+25) and no other MAB gear:
    10 x 1.57 x 1.00 = 15.70

Eliminating the variables from above (COR rolls and merits) leaves us with a MAB of 1.76

HQ stave and MAB+1.76:
    10 x 1.76 x 1.15 = 20.24

NQ stave and MAB+1.76
    10 x 1.76 x 1.10 = 19.36

Dorje Stave (MAB+25) and no other MAB gear:
    10 x 2.01 x 1.00 = 20.1

Conclusion

There is a diminishing return here, and it seems like the weapon is best-suited to BLMs with lesser gear choices and lower merits. If there are glaring errors in my math above, please let me know.

From what I can tell, this weapon will not help career BLMs who currently have full HQ stave sets and good MAB set-ups.

Re: Dorje math (BLM advice needed)

Don't forget ele staves have macc on them; even if the D staff gives slightly more damage, it's probably best to use elemental staves for the accuracy.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Rambus says no! He must know what he is taking about, no?

Pretty much, worthless staff if you have good gear really.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

I can't find anything wrong with the math. And yeah, no accuracy bonus = you're going to be resisted on anything over T anyway. That 15% magic acc is huge.

Yeah, the rule here is that if you have more than +66 MAB an HQ staff is better, and if you have more than +150 MAB an NQ staff is better. Looks like any well-geared BLM will be over the +66 mark, so don't expect this to let you shove your elemental staves into storage, even discounting the macc bonus they provide.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Why SE continues to implement weapons with MAB on them is beyond me. It's like they completely forgot about the Elemental Staves' existence.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I thought it would be slightly better at first as well, but after doing the math, I came to the same conclusion. When you include m.acc, there is no doubt staves are better.

However, there might additional hidden bonus on it (spell crit? lol) to make up for it...It will be interesting to test it. If there is none, it's going to replace gilseller's ice staff and that's about it.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quick question: How is it evaluted that there is a 15% m.acc bonus on HQ staves on Elmental Magic. I know that it has been verified on enfeebling magic. I know there have been times when I hit wrong macro and used wrong stave and the resist rate doesn't seem appreciably higher.

It's possible that the staves have a hidden effect of increasing damage on elemental magic and accuracy on enfeebling magic but not both for both categories of magic. It wouldn't be that difficult for this to be true on a programming level and if true the new staves make a whole lot of sense.

If i missed a huge parse testing somewhere a link would be appreciated.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Question, for SCH do you think this would be worth the effort? We have less m.att bonus gear available to us, and many of our nuking sets consist of INT and not so much from M.ATT. Also being /RDM most of the time we only get access to m.att bonus 1.

Well, there are jobs other than BLM that can equip this thing... From looking at the OP it seems like it would result in slightly more damage for WHM, RDM, and SCH, though obviously with the same m.acc loss.

Maybe with Klimaform active?

Otherwise, Scholar of all jobs shouldn't be drifting away from 15% Macc.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Glad I'm not a mage, I'd hate to have to carry the new elemental grips on top of the staves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gere
    Glad I'm not a mage, I'd hate to have to carry the new elemental grips on top of the staves.
    Or, just use the Magic Strap or Wise Strap, since 2 magic accuracy is pretty much irrelevant.

Well the INT/MND+10 MAcc+20 will be best for enfeebles now by far.

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    Don't forget ele staves have macc on them; even if the D staff gives slightly more damage, it's probably best to use elemental staves for the accuracy.
    If one of the new food items is a magic accuracy sushi, then this staff becomes more attractive.

I wouldn't be surprised, as a lot of the new foods introduced are sweets, and SE did mention in the interview about better mage foods or some such.

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Starr

I was under the impression the staves were better than 15 macc , similar to how it's 15% increase to total damage, and not 15 mab.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by shaddix
    Quote Originally Posted by Starr

I was under the impression the staves were better than 15 macc , similar to how it's 15% increase to total damage, and not 15 mab.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by shaddix
    D: *facepalm@above comment*

Concerning Staff:
    It's kind of a bummer though, what am I going to do with my Numinous+1 & Mythic Wand :'(

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast