+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fire Emblem     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Fire Emblem

Fire Emblem is one of the best SRPG series out there in my opinion, and needs its own love thread. It's one of the few games out there that I find actually difficult, and I'm not just talking about the fact that people are gone forever when they die.

For example, in the first GBA game, you don't have access to shops whenever you want, you have to decide whether or not you want to blow your cash on weapons now or save it up for later. Choose the latter, though, and you may find that you run out of weapon uses between now and the next chapter with an armory, which would qualify you as royally screwed. On top of this, the game gives you a funds ranking, so spending carelessly will give ensure that your tactical abilities get ripped on at the end of the game.

The support system is also a great gameplay element that makes you think twice about how you position your characters, as well as who you bring into battle and who waits it out on the sidelines. Weaker characters with great support options may be better than strong characters with nobody to support them. This becomes especially important on hard mode, and is a major factor in the ongoing gamefaqs debates over which characters will get you the best rankings with the least effort. On top of all this, certain support options will alter the endings, sometimes in unexpected ways (Guy + Priscilla A-level support is heartbreaking).

I won't go on and on about the game any longer, anyone reading this probably has an idea of what the games are about anyway, but if you're not familiar with the series and you like SRPG games, I urge you to try out the first Fire Emblem for the GBA as soon as you can. Emulate it if you have to, but don't pass it up - the series is amazing and one of the few I've found to be well worth my time in the past couple of years. And if you like that one, I believe all the SNES versions have been translated at this point (poorly in some cases, but oh well) and there are always the GC/Wii games, not to mention Sacred Stones for the GBA... you won't run out of Fire Emblem any time soon.

So yeah, who else out there is into the FE series? I'm hoping the DS remake comes to the U.S., I don't know if the GC and Wii games did well enough to justify it and NOA is weird about bringing games over (I'm glaring in the direction of Mother 3 as I say that) but we'll see.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Re: Fire Emblem

I played some FE game on GBA a while back when I actually had one... I don't remember which one it was, I think the the main character was named Erika..?

I couldn't really get into it though.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

That was FE8, Sacred Stones.

FE8 is kind of the black sheep of the FE series, I'd say if you have time try to emulate FE7, which is just called "Fire Emblem" in the US. (Technical name is Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword iirc)

<3 FE

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Yea, I like Sacred Stones but it's nowhere near as good as the original GBA Fire Emblem. Plot-wise, gameplay-wise, everything about the latter is better.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    That was FE8, Sacred Stones.

FE8 is kind of the black sheep of the FE series, I'd say if you have time try to emulate FE7, which is just called "Fire Emblem" in the US. (Technical name is Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword iirc)

<3 FE
    Now that you say that, I have to know... what about it makes it 'the black sheep' of the series?
    I haven't played any others, so I only have other people's word to go on.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

It has a world map, you can fight random battles, you can shop inbetween maps, and there's a tower where you can level at forever.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Eh... suddenly I'm not interested in the rest of the series, heh.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Fire Emblem does really rock, a shame that most of them never made it over here :/ I've played through FE7-9, playing through the new FE: Radiant Dawn on Wii at the moment, and played through a translated version of FE6 on an emulator.

I didn't really like FE8 because the difficulty level was ridiculously low, enemies were too weak, the plot was generally uninteresting and predictable after a point, and Eirika's story is dull as all hell; several maps in a row of ONLY monsters. Monsters are generic and boring <_<

FE7 is REALLY good though. Still love it. Hector's Hard Mode was pretty tough, and the plot was very well developed, or so I thought. FE6 was also fun but very, very hard I loved Path of Radiance (FE9) for the GCN, despite hearing that some people really disliked it, though I didn't like the lack of Support Conversation viewer; I got 100% of supports on FE7 and really liked that part of the game.

Really enjoying FE9 although each map takes BLOODY AGES, and the support conversations stink.

But yeah, Fire Emblem, hell yes.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

FE9 is awesome, 10 I didn't like as much, you hardly got to spend any time with most characters :/

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Never played one, never really understood the obsession with the lords in those games.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I named my FFXI character after the FE character.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar View Post
    I named my FFXI character after the FE character.
    The assassin guy, he was a bitch to get because of the chick who casted that Lightning magic...

Anyone play Path of Radiance :O, was a good one.

as for FE(GBA), by the end of "Hector Mode" on hard, my Hector was a walking tank, he solo'd almost all the Bosses on the final level, and killed the "Dragon" in two rounds... lol he was so cool :____: i miss that game, but i lost it a while ago. still got path of radiance :D

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    The assassin guy, he was a bitch to get because of the chick who casted that Lightning magic...

Anyone play Path of Radiance :O, was a good one.

as for FE(GBA), by the end of "Hector Mode" on hard, my Hector was a walking tank, he solo'd almost all the Bosses on the final level, and killed the "Dragon" in two rounds... lol he was so cool :____: i miss that game, but i lost it a while ago. still got path of radiance :D
    Fuck Ursula.

Seriously, fuck her.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Only playthrough I had trouble with Ursula was this last one, HHM. Had to restart a couple times because I was careless. Oddly enough, my guys were overpowered compared to their normal levels... They were all promoted level ~8.

I've also only had Jaffar die twice on that chapter... And only on Eliwood mode. On Hector's mode, the paladin leader starts off way north of him and doesn't attack him, thus he's never died for me on Hector modes.

Maldra

I've played through all of the Fire Emblems that have been released to the US and I fucking love them all. Especially the Path of Radiance and Radiance Dawn stories. The end of Radiance Dawn was pretty nuts..

Also, I have been playing through Radiance Dawn on Hard mode now, and holy fuck. The final chapter of part 1 took me sooooooo long to beat. I'm on Part 3 now. One thing that is dumb about Radiance Dawn is how Part 1 is so freaking hard, but 2 is easy, and 3 isn't too much harder... Great story though.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Fuck Ursula.

Seriously, fuck her.
    Agreed. I had a bad RNG the first time I played, the Archer near Jaffar kept moving in such a way that Jaffar would move to attack him and end up square in Ursula's range, every time. This was before I knew about RNG abuse, so I had no idea how to keep it from happening.

Maldra

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    Agreed. I had a bad RNG the first time I played, the Archer near Jaffar kept moving in such a way that Jaffar would move to attack him and end up square in Ursula's range, every time. This was before I knew about RNG abuse, so I had no idea how to keep it from happening.
    Who is Ursula again? It has been a while since I've played through that game.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Chapter: Battle Before Dawn. Weapon: Bolting.

That should bring back painful enough memories <_<

And yah, I really loved Radiant Dawn though it did have a few issues;

Spoiler: show
    I didn't like the way a few characters (like Vika) were VERY limited in total use. Also, the Laguz Royals at the end basically undermined the value of all of the other Laguz characters... most were not so useful anyway, and Lethe was heavily nerfed which annoyed me since she was my favourite character in terms of personality from FE9 as well as one of my favourites in terms of utility.

Also I found my funds were heavily limited <_< I don't know if I was just doing it wrong, but they give you like 20+ coins and I could no way afford that many crafted weapons and make them decent <_<

Also, a few levels, especially near the end, fall under the archetype of "first few turns are really hard, very easy after that because most enemies are stationary". It got almost boring in a few of the last levels, for instance Part 4, Endgame - 3 (Deghinsea) where the reinforcements would keep coming for awhile but there is no risk of dying to them. Just keep hitting end turn and counterattacking until they're dead <_< a bit boring at times.

However, I did really love the game. The defense missions I did really love, especially Part 3's final one and Part 2's final one -- truly epic. There were many parts of the story I really loved too, in particular

Spoiler: show
    The end of Part 3 which I thought was magnificent. Specifically, from when you defend the castle from Ike's Laguz army. It's very clearly portrayed how neither side wants to fight and just how inevitable the fate is, then you go into your base and it has that amazing music theme (the name escapes me, Comfort something) -- a beautiful, sublime track which I found indescribly amazing. Then of course you have the titanic battle that follows... I just found it amazing.

The whole struggle against the Black Knight thing I found quite powerful too, though I think Ranulf identified him too early; there were some subtle hints in the narrative (and in FE9) and I think it would've been more powerful if they had left it a bit later; regardless, like with most enemies in the game, he was not simply "evil for the sake of evil" and Zelgius himself was build up as a very noble and likable character. This ambiguity in the "moral alignment" of the characters I thought elevated the plot from that of your average RPG and added a lot of interest to the plot.

I was initially put off by the sheer number of "prepromotes" in the story but then I quelled my usual Fire Emblem instincts and accepted them =P overall a great game, I would recommend it if you can overcome the huge difficulty hill at the beginning (especially for beginners)!

Long post <_<

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Maldra View Post
    Who is Ursula again? It has been a while since I've played through that game.
    One of the Four Fangs, the blue-haired Valkyrie.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

This thread makes me want to charge up my GBA and play the game again.