+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What a US Open...     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Re: What a US Open...

I live 3 miles from tiger's high school and probably less from where he used to live when he was a kid! that's basically this area's only claim to fame...

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Yeah. Just think. He beat 150+ of the world's greatest golfers with a wounded knee, and busted up leg... on the longest course in history, through five rounds no less. Him not an athlete? That's so not true. Was he faking? God no. The fact that he has to have reconstructive knee surgery due to a torn ACL... just makes his victory that much more epic.

Golf is now going to be rather boring for the rest of the season though. The Open, the PGA Championship, and the Ryder Cup are gonna be boring without Tiger. D: I just hope he can come back somewhat the same as he is now with his 134MPH club speed and what not. He could come back from this surgery a completely different player. Let's remember this past weekend at the US Open for what it was, a fantastic event that may never be duplicated.

Also, to the folks who said he was faking? Yeah. Eat your words.

Starless

I had fun watching it, but I always root for whoever's against Tiger because personality-wise, Tiger is a royal asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Starless
    I had fun watching it, but I always root for whoever's against Tiger because personality-wise, Tiger is a royal asshole.
    Do you have any examples to back this up? I've never seen this.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Norelco
    Quote Originally Posted by guartz
    So this guy is good at a shitty sport.

COMPELLING.
    Why do you consider it a shitty sport? It's hard as hell to play well and do it consistently.

Sure it may be hard. So it badminton. It's another one of them dandy sports, HEY, I hear there is this minority person who is awesome at badminton! Watch him play, it's compelling.

COMPELLING.
    Why do you consider it a shitty sport? It's hard as hell to play well and do it consistently.

Sure it may be hard. So it badminton. It's another one of them dandy sports, HEY, I hear there is this minority person who is awesome at badminton! Watch him play, it's compelling.
    It's not compelling because he's black. It's compelling because he's good. Vijay Singh is darker than Tiger but hasn't won nearly as many tournaments...so I don't understand what you're trying to get at.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

COMPELLING.

Bitch about topic + Derail = BRP Rule.

Are you sure you wish to continue spouting your ill-informed bullshit?

OH WAIT IT'S GUARTZ THAT'S ALL HE EVER DOES.

Does anyone here actually golf?

I go as much as I can on the weekends but my clubs are extremely old right now and i'm looking into getting some new ones in a few months.

Right now i'm using a cheap 50$ driver, dunlop I think, but it's got either a 10 or 10.5 degree head and I hit the ball high even if I set the ball pretty low. I was thinking of getting something around the 8 or 8.5 degree range but I just read the 8 degree is being made illegal after '08 so probably won't be for sale for very long.

Also what is a good set of irons. My clubs are at least 10-15 years old and I have no idea what's good. I'm checking online review sites but most of them suck.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I shoot in the low 90s generally

Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya

I go as much as I can on the weekends but my clubs are extremely old right now and i'm looking into getting some new ones in a few months.

Right now i'm using a cheap 50$ driver, dunlop I think, but it's got either a 10 or 10.5 degree head and I hit the ball high even if I set the ball pretty low. I was thinking of getting something around the 8 or 8.5 degree range but I just read the 8 degree is being made illegal after '08 so probably won't be for sale for very long.

Also what is a good set of irons. My clubs are at least 10-15 years old and I have no idea what's good. I'm checking online review sites but most of them suck.
    I golf about twice a week. Doesn't mean I'm good. You can get a decent set of Taylor Made irons for around $300 if you find a deal.

I don't think the 10 degree club is your problem. It seems you're still getting under the ball even though it is tee'd up lower, or it's just how the ball is hitting the club face.

Try standing more forward of the ball to see if that affects the outcome. You may be too far behind the ball.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I used to golf a lot more than I do now. I don't really have time anymore. All my equipment is taylormade. I have a bag similiar to this one, cept it's a limted edition British Open bag in a different color scheme. I can't find any pictures of it. Can't really say what I shoot, depends largely on the course, and what kind of day I'm having lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya

I golf about twice a week. Doesn't mean I'm good. You can get a decent set of Taylor Made irons for around $300 if you find a deal.

I don't think the 10 degree club is your problem. It seems you're still getting under the ball even though it is tee'd up lower, or it's just how the ball is hitting the club face.

Try standing more forward of the ball to see if that affects the outcome. You may be too far behind the ball.
    I try to go every weekend but since i'm moving right now funds are tight!

Anyway i'm not great, usually shoot between 90-100 and i'm horrible at putting. Driving and long irons is what i'm best at, even though I hit it high I can still drive usually about 250-300 and my longest is around 340 (only did it once and I think the wind helped a little). But my irons are in bad shape, scratched and not catch on the ball to put any controlled spin on it.

Do irons come with special faces that can grab the ball a little better for backspin? I know i've heard of like diamond dust or something like that but not sure what the price difference is.

Oh man, I remember in high school when I played on Varsity Golf, our coach used to make us take notes and we'd have to pass them in at the next practice to make sure we watched it. Tiger is just an all around amazing athlete. I've heard rumors of him being kind of a dick, but hey, the man's got a job to do, and his just so happens to be playing golf. Doesn't mean he's a dick in private social standards.

Kevin Lowe's Sock Account
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I have lotsa respect for Eldrick after the US Open.
    I still try to think of how Nike would market him as "Eldrick Woods". No matter what, I can't get used to hearing it that way.

It was never him that pissed me off though, -as rude as it sounds since he's gone- it was his dad that annoyed the hell out of me. After the first Masters win for Tiger, when his dad shot off his mouth about those 4 rounds not even being close to Tiger's A-Game, I was like "You cocky SOB. Your son just ripped up a course and instead of being happy, you're ranting about how he could've destroyed the competition even more." Granted it's true, but it's one of those things that should remain unsaid. It would be like the coach of the Celtics saying Boston brought their D-Game in game 6, when they absolutely crushed LA.

As for actually golfing, I have for about 10 years off and on. Never took it overly serious until a few years ago. I'd always just go out and play 9 holes. I broke 100 my first ever 18 hole round though, and then jinxed that for quite awhile after. LOL
    I gave in and bought a Taylor Made R7 driver last spring from a place having a clearance sale, and I got it for about $125 when they were retailing for over $300 at the time. I don't necessarily crush it, but the club seems to have a TON of forgiveness if you don't hit it properly, it'll still go straight.

with Tiger being out of the British Open, my money's on Sergio! One day he'll win a major.....

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

You mean to tell me, if there was a white guy dominating golf right now,

you'd all know his name?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Tiger:

1) Plays the best golf in the world right now
    2) Is young. Really really young.
    3) Has a mountain of charisma.

You saying we only like him and what he's done for Pro Golf as a whole because he's not white, guartz? Really? That's the best you can come up with?

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

you'd all know his name?

Never heard of Jack Nicklaus?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche

you'd all know his name?

For whatever it's worth, no. As someone with zero interest in golf, the only real golfer I know of is tiger woods.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche

the actor?

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Well, either you are really young and/or you never watch any type of sports media coverage. Jack Nicklaus is long since retired, but did for golf what Tiger is doing now. He was completely dominant and wildly popular. I'm not going to even begin to say he's as popular as Tiger, mostly because that's unfair. Jack played in the 60's when there wasn't a "Sportscenter", "ESPN", and "FOXsports". My point being, he was about as popular as you could be in that era, and every bit as good as Tiger. Oh yeah, he's an old country club white dude.