+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What a US Open...     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

What a US Open...

I know golf probably isn't popular here, but the playoff today was the most compelling major I've seen in a long, long time.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Re: What a US Open...

Poor Rocco

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I'm not golf fan, but too bad that old guy didn't win in sudden death. I think he started crying and was just another trophy for Tiger's room.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by BarthelloSylph
    I know golf probably isn't popular here, but the playoff today was the most compelling major I've heard in a long, long time.
    fixed
    Playoffs on a monday morning are fucking stupid

Saturday and the last hour or so Sunday was unbelievable.

And I disagree that it's just another trophy to Tiger. That was one of the most memorable golf tournaments ever. Next to the major after his dad's death, and the 98(?) open, i'd say that is one of his top 3 most memorable wins.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

It's a great win for Tiger, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel bad for Rocco. He was the extreme version of an underdog, and he came so, so close.

I'm so upset that I didn't get to see today's playoff round, stupid work. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were all absolutely amazing and even without seeing today's playoff it was one of the most incredible sporting events I've ever seen.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

We had it on at my house all weekend but no one was watching it.

I was lucky enough to walk by and see the shot that Tiger made where he completely overshot it and his ball hit the flag and got knocked into the hole.

Man that was sweet. He looked so terrified, then amazed. Haha.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Agreed with everything here except the Monday thing, since I got to watch it. It is indeed one of the greatest golf tournies I've ever seen/heard. It was so great.

I didn't know if I should make the topic here because I didn't know how you guys felt about golf and such, but I wish I did make the topic on Friday.

The Phil/Tiger pair up (with Adam Scott) was nice on Thursday/Friday, but the back 9 30 by Tiger on Friday, the ridiculous putts/chip-in on Saturday, and then the final round/playoff round... all so great.

TOO MUCH MAN
    BG Level

All credit in the world to Rocco for a great tournament, and a very nice back 9 today.

That being said Tiger gave an emphatic answer to those who were skeptical of his ability to compete so soon after his surgery.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

For those who missed the playoff, it will be on ESPN Classic one half hour from now.

LazyShell
    BG Level

Saturday's round was more compelling than I thought golf could ever be. It was like watching a movie. Tiger kept missing the fairway on his drives, and the green after that. He would grimace or limp after so many big drives. And he made worse numbers than hes made in a long time (ahem, double bogeys wtf). But as soon as he hit the back nine, things just began to turn his way. After that drive on 13 that shot the ball way off the fairway and forced a drop (though without a stroke and on the trampled grass), Tiger made an awesome green save. And then he made I think his best put of the day (although the eagle on 18 was definitely strong too). Long put, Perfect read, perfect speed, and it was on the hole no one else could sink a put on. Then of course, 17 when he made the chip in that had no business going in but was awesome none the less. Then on 18 he manages to eagle with some much needed good shots, and his other insane put of the day. That could have been the final day of the Open for all I cared, Tiger made a pretty miraculous comeback, and even stole the lead on that last eagle.

Sunday was a bit less exciting, except of course for the last bit where Tiger and Westwood struggled to make all the right moves to make sure Rocco didn't walk away with it right then and there. And on 18 when Tiger made the clutch put that Westwood (who to be honest, probably had the harder shot) couldn't sink.

I couldn't watch the playoff today I knew it would be a lot harder for Tiger to pull off than sudden death or 3 hole playoff or whatever he normally does with his knee in the shape it was. Since Rocco couldn't close it out in the 18 hole playoff and forced the sudden death though, I knew Tiger had it. Hes so clutch. Wish I could have seen some of it. I do feel bad for Rocco, he really was an underdog story and he played fantastically. He had the lead early in the open, and he kept taking it back showing it wasn't a fluke.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

I know golf probably isn't popular here, but the playoff today was the most compelling major I've seen in a long, long time.
    compelling, golf. Never in the same sentence.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by guartz
    Someone hasn't paid attention to pro golf over the last 10 years...Tiger is a goddamn phenom and a hell of a guy to make folks watch more golf on TV.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I can't believe I'm going to say this. I agree with Guartz.

Going to go take a scalding hot shower now to burn the unclean off of me.

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

I don't normally watched golf, but I caught some while at my grandparents' house. I have concluded that Tiger Woods either sold his soul to the devil or is telekinetic.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Asian+African

Even God doesn't know what's going on.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I have some friends who think Tiger was "embellishing" his injuries during bad shots, and was trying to add a "MJ" like story to his legacy. Interesting, I don't buy it, but interesting.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Correction
    Quote Originally Posted by guartz
    Someone hasn't paid attention to pro golf over the last 10 years...Tiger is a goddamn phenom and a hell of a guy to make folks watch more golf on TV.
    QFT. I'm not a big golf fan by any means, but over the last 2-3 years, I've found myself trying to catch the Sunday rounds when Tiger is in contention for the win, especially if it's a major. (I was following, though rarely watching, the early tournaments of the year while he had that streak going.) I found myself more into a round of golf I've ever been when Tiger hit that birdie on 18 to force the playoff. Last night, for the first time ever, I went to bed knowing I would be getting up early to watch golf. Although it was a 1-on-1, 18-hole playoff, which is a pretty rare scenario, it was still golf. And even acknowledging that last fact, I'd find it hard to believe that any fan of sports in general wouldn't find it compelling.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

I have some friends who think Tiger was "embellishing" his injuries during bad shots, and was trying to add a "MJ" like story to his legacy. Interesting, I don't buy it, but interesting.
    It's a knee injury though, something he feels with every hard shot. It's not like he's grabbing his elbow or something, he's putting a shit load of pressure on the knee every time he drives the ball 200 yards.

I don't think Tiger Woods of all people would need to fake an injury to strengthen his legacy. If anything, he'd fake it if he thought he was going to lose in order to have an "out" during press conferences. But does Tiger ever really feel like he's going to lose?

I thought it was crazy how a single major like that could jump a guy more than 100 spots in world rankings. I guess that's a consolation prize, albeit not nearly as tangible or tasty as the major victory. I really thought Rocco had Tiger beat until his shot off the 18th tee, followed by Tiger hitting the middle of the fairway. I've never watched a full round of golf up until today, but I think the 1 on 1 aspect kind of made it more interesting. That whole coming back from 3 shots back thing would've been such a great story too, sucks for Rocco

He (Tiger) said several times over the weekend his knee never bothered him until after the actual swing though, and it wasn't always on the bad shots he seemed to be in pain-- I doubt he was showing pain just to have an excuse for bad shots, and from what he said it wasn't affecting his play any.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast