BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Ok what the hell is up with Roc?

Can move this if you desire but I'm honestly confused at this mob's enmity.

I used to camp this a long time ago for a friend who wanted the staff. After getting claim on Simurgh and killing it for no drop again, I headed to check out Roc to see about a staff for an old friend who was interested in it as well.

Long Story short JP THF/WAR claimed it and kited it down to a NIN and RDM. The NIN voked it multiple times even after the THF planted several TA Shark Bites off on it and it still went after the thf/war and eventually killed her.

It then made short work of the rdm who was spamming cures, dropped her and then finally the nin. They tried to zombie it while I was there alone. I tagged it with a Dart, kited it to Garliage so guys who wiped had to go thru the zone again giving me enough time to get my buds out and take it down.

They finally showed and we started to truck it down. It was a PLD/NIN tanking it and the thing that bothered me was I dumped a 2.2k Dancing Edge onto him and it didn't even look at the PLD. I did it 4 more times to make sure I wasn't fucking up and it still didn't give a damn about the tank and kept trying to kill me.

So what's up?

This is the 1st time I've ever fought a mob that I can recall that while TAing off someone I get full damage but the enmity isn't transferred over.

Has it always been like this?

Oh and no drop on the lolStaff

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

Re: Ok what the hell is up with Roc?

There are a few mobs like that. I've noticed that as well on roc, and some limbus mobs, and a few other NMs.

You probably had maxed hate. I trio'd it with thf, mnk and I think a whm and the thf and I had max hate within 2-3 minutes.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Terrestrial Rage
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

You cant trick hate on Simurgh/Roc, at least thats the impression i was under. Every time ive killed em, the Thf plants TA WSs onto my Nin, and im usually putting out good damage, but will still lose it to him.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

It's what Aurik says. Roc has virtually no defense and he's weak to piercing. As fast as you hit, you cap hate very quickly, and at that point no spikes on the PLD will pull shit off of you for more than a couple of seconds at a time, and then your next barrage of attacks just pulls it right back.

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Therin
    It's what Aurik says. Roc has virtually no defense and he's weak to piercing. As fast as you hit, you cap hate very quickly, and at that point no spikes on the PLD will pull shit off of you for more than a couple of seconds at a time, and then your next barrage of attacks just pulls it right back.
    So even tho I was dropping constant 1400 to 2k WSs on the PLD It's still going to outright ignore *meaning it didn't even even take a swing at the tank after the WS* the PLD and still go after me without even blinking at the tank?

Come on Therin, It's like the PLD wasn't even there. 2 THFs dropping damage along with a SAM TAing Gekko onto the pld and it still didn't even look at the tank. <_>

Max hate is max hate.

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    Max hate is max hate.
    Max hate I know what that is but it still doesn't explain how it just outright ignored the tank. It flat out ignored the TA damage at the very Start Aurik. I had tp at the start. Dropped a WS onto the tank and it went after me.

How should I still have hate instantly from dropping a ton of damage onto a tank? No it wasn't a 2nd after I went. It turned on me right as I opened up and dropped damage onto the tank.

Explain?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I killed it today and it didn't look at me while I was nuking the crap out of it on BLM. Did beat on the DRG who pulled it a bit, but piercing weak, etc. Seemed pretty normal.

Damage might generate more enmity on it because it's technically level 55 making it easier to reach the hate cap?

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Hmmm maybe so.

Confusing as fuck mob tho I swear. Simurgh I never saw much of that doing the same thing but normally it was with a PLD/WAR so he was holding hate a ton of the time.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

We killed him this morning, everything seemed normal, we had a thf who TAWS'd the PLD/NIN and all was well. I was main healing on RDM, nothing out of the ordinary.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I killed this after maintenance and we had a NIN tanking (I am samurai). The thf did a TA on tank and I still took hate after one weapon skill.

So TA might not work on him and I ended up tanking him the whole time... Just to make you pissed, the staff dropped.

I noticed it on Simurgh, I could TA+WS a tank and if they even looked at the tank you planted it on, it would be going back to me or one of the other piercing jobs within 5-10sec. The only time you would lose hate is after it hit you a couple times, but it would turn right back in a few seconds anyway. At one point it was bouncing between me and and another THF after every attack round we had. I cough it up to low delay attack rounds(magic/gear haste and whatnot) and that daggers tear them up bad. Well that and well equipped players.

Got Roc to drop once, but like 0/10 on Sim before I gave up. Only dropped when my PT lost claims ::

I'm certain that SE booked off a weeks worth of development / testing / regression time just so that they could make TA stop working for one single NM years after that monster has ever been relevant.

I remember a ls member that was going to Garlaige to look for coffer randomly found Roc, so 4 of us went to kill it, we were like pld, war, drk, brd and rdm, the hate was all over the war and drk just a min into the fight pld was just helping curing and flashing to recast shadows, and neither the war or me went crazy on the dmg the beginning.

Hate seemed like in a DC-EM fight

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    I'm certain that SE booked off a weeks worth of development / testing / regression time just so that they could make TA stop working for one single NM years after that monster has ever been relevant.
    lol Sarcasm aside Aurik, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who noticed it. Granted these mobs hadn't been tweaked since they were givin rages timers and back then before the level cap was 75, those things were something of a bitch to kill.

If anything I'll just write it off to being like a DC/EM mob in terms of hate bouncing all over.

Still gets me tho I can do the same thing to a normal DC mob like a Raptor in Kuftal Tunnel and dump hate without it even looking back at me for awhile.

Edit: Furion >|

*Shihei, I wouldn't give up yet. I got 15 Pairs of Trotter Boots to drop in a 2 month session with us getting 90% of the claims. If you were around, you probably saw all the drama it caused with Aladek whose friends bitched us out in shout saying that camping Simurgh with more then 6 people wasn't fair.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I've had one wacky fucking Roc before, back in the day before rage timers. PLD/WAR Tank was tanking just find and I would pull hate from firing missed arrows on my 60 rng. Even the curing/refreshing/enfeebling RDM didn't pull hate before me. *shrug* It was a long fight and it didn't drop shit of course. This was the only mob I had heard about this happening with, but I chalked it up to assuming the tank was just getting hit too much.

I gave up long ago because I moved from a shitty server and found a kick-ass Salvage LS on Midgardsormr, Brainjacked, would of completed Skadi feet but LBC is a cocktease that never put out. Quit the game back in February(lots of reasons to do so) and of course then they get the 25 to drop after I quit, lol. Now I just "play" vicariously through these forums meaning I don't play at all. I actually despise this MMO now, but the people and these forums are great. I could go off on a bunch of tangent rants now but I won't for obvious reasons. I play COD4 when I want to play a video game.

mini-tl;dr-----I don't play FFXI anymore, I just lurk here for amusement. Gave away account, for free. I made more then my fair share of moneys from selling gil once awhile ago so noone say "retard, you should of sold that shit."

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko
    I've had one wacky fucking Roc before, back in the day before rage timers. PLD/WAR Tank was tanking just find and I would pull hate from firing missed arrows on my 60 rng. Even the curing/refreshing/enfeebling RDM didn't pull hate before me. *shrug* It was a long fight and it didn't drop shit of course. This was the only mob I had heard about this happening with, but I chalked it up to assuming the tank was just getting hit too much.
    Yea I think it has somthing to do with tanks enmity decaying faster then DD who is doing way better dmg etc. I don't mean to be sarcastic if you take it that way, I just figure that is the main reason.