BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quick choco raising questions

Since I didn't want to necro my topic I made a few months back when I started raising here's a few quick questions. I just dinged first class strength and endurance today on day 50(yeah yeah, I fail, I know) and I was wondering/hoping it's not too late to raise Discernment up a few levels to teach it some abilities and improve my luck at racing.

I was hoping I could use Dig for treasure and vomp x4 to prevent my stats from going down and boost discernment quickly, do I have enough time before the choco's stats freeze(do they?) or am I screwed?

Also, I still haven't gotten Canter from Brutus, if I keep spamming long walks even after the stats stop growing can I still learn moves?

Thanks guys! :D

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Re: Quick choco raising questions

I just dinged first class strength and endurance today on day 50(yeah yeah, I fail, I know) and I was wondering/hoping it's not too late to raise Discernment up a few levels to teach it some abilities and improve my luck at racing.
    Not by much, but one to three levels should be possible.

I was hoping I could use Dig for treasure and vomp x4 to prevent my stats from going down and boost discernment quickly, do I have enough time before the choco's stats freeze(do they?) or am I screwed?
    I normally don't feed Carrots, but Vomps won't keep Endurance up. I'm also not sure whether Vomps would hurt the gain from the Dig for Treasure training.
    My suggestion would be to support the raising of Dis by Chocobo Racing and to get Rec a few levels as well. From normal Raising you won't hit the possible stat cap, so there are a few levels leeway you'll only get by Racing. And remember a balanced Chocobo is usually better than on that has only high Str and End.

Also, I still haven't gotten Canter from Brutus, if I keep spamming long walks even after the stats stop growing can I still learn moves?
    Yeah, no problem there.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

According to wiki it says Vomp raises strength and endurance and doesn't say anything else so I was hoping to offset the loss I'd be taking by digging for treasure with the carrots. You're saying I can raise Discernment through racing, are you talking about getting chocobucks for the training sessions or did I miss something really obvious? I'm only looking to raise Discernment to level 3 or 4 since I doubt I'll have enough time left in raising to get it further plus isn't there an overall cap on stats?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Yes, I meant Chocobuck training.

Quite frankly, I think you might be able to hit level three but not level four, and End will go down. Without Carrots End will fall one level for about each level Dis gained. With Vomps that'll be offset a bit (if the Vomps don't have a negative effect, I haven't tested them and I'm not very trusting of the Wiki), but the offset will not be enough to prevent the lose of End.

The stat max is at about 640 points (32 points per level), you'll get a little more than 500 with Raising, the rest can only come from training.

When I prep my own Chocobos before detailing them with Chocobuck training, End falls from about max to B, while Dis rises from F to a low C (I usually stop raising stats via raising at that point and switch over to training).

i'm pretty sure vomp carrots slightly lower disc/rec, so i wouldnt be at all surprised if zegham lowered str/end. I almost ended up without a 1/1/8/8 bird from switching to vomps attempting to raise my digging bird's physical stats (this was after day 65 and with general care only) and had to switch back to zeghams to keep myself from auto-retiring with 1/1/8/7. Anywho not sure how that pertains to you, and it may have been a result of trying to increase a 3rd stat once 2 were maxed, but from what I've seen vomp/zegham carrots have a slight negative effect on the stats they don't raise.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Well shit, what should I do? Just let my endurance fall from digging for treasure and make it back up with chocobuck training? Seems kinda pointless to feed vomps if it's going to screw my discernment huh? xD

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Yeah, let End fall, unless you want a 45 minutes riding Chocobo, otherwise End isn't that important.

A 8/5/4/1 isn't half better for the low level races (one of my mules with those won the first of the new mission races without any items) which is what you would get, although yours might not get as high, probably 8/7/2/1 or 8/6/3/1 (also depends whether End was completely maxed or not).
    As for C1, you'll usually want some Rec instead of maxed out End.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Frenzy
    Yeah, let End fall, unless you want a 45 minutes riding Chocobo, otherwise End isn't that important.

A 8/5/4/1 isn't half better for the low level races (one of my mules with those won the first of the new mission races without any items) which is what you would get, although yours might not get as high, probably 8/7/2/1 or 8/6/3/1 (also depends whether End was completely maxed or not).
    As for C1, you'll usually want some Rec instead of maxed out End.
    If that's the case should I do Exhibiting to the public instead of digging for treasure or would I not make enough of an impact on these last few weeks, also would it be helpful to supplement with zegham carrots? I really don't care about choco riding time(since I've got wand and can always get the riding gear), I just thought strength and endurance were the best things to have for racing(but the more I talk to people the more I hear that's not correct).

Here's hoping my next choco turns out red like I want and with the best stats :D

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Stick to Digging, the other won't make large enough of a dent.

Speed is important, End not as much, although even seemingly shitty combinations can turn out well, it's a bit difficult to predict.