Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Stormscale

Looking for some advice for 7th job

All right, so I'm a veteran player.. I have 6 jobs @ 75 ATM, and I'm trying to find a job I can be useful on but doesn't require alot of merits...

I have PLD,NIN,BRD,WAR,RDM,BST @ 75, and I'm trying to find another Melee job to use.

I have Capped Merits for PLD, WAR, and RDM, have some into NIN and BRD(only the usefull ones) don't have capped Minuet because I don't merit as BRD.. but I'm trying to find another job to use.

Currently have:

4 Shield
    8 Great Axe
    4 Evasion
    4 Parrying

I use PLD, RDM, WAR mostly, so I'm sure I can take off the 4 Evasion merits since WAR + PLD Evade is lulz.

Gear worth noting:

Shura Togi, BH, Brutal, Hauberk+1, Haubergon+1, SH(NQ lolgimp), Kirin Osode, Peacock Amulet, 2/3(25 needed) done with Ares Body, 2/3(25 needed) done with Ares Pants, Heca Harness +1, Shura Kabuto, as well as KC(split with 1 friend who did BCNM with me)

Now, I can get Faith Torque Easy, I have 1/3 for Black Belt, and I did finish Brown Belt quest already, I can also get Justice Torque decently.. I'm trying to find a job out of:

RNG,SAM,MNK,DRK or even SCH to level, I have about 6ish Mill that I can use to level the job, and I do have most gear for the jobs, which of those 4 jobs would be easier for me to level and not have to change alot of my merits? LS I'm in doesn't really need any melee jobs as there are more than enough competent ones, I just want another job that I can merit or do Salvage, ZNM's on..

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ysera

Re: Looking for some advice for 7th job

MNK.

You said you wanted for ZNMs, Salvage, merits, etc, not HNM.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Sam or MNK, you could throw some merits in GKT or HTH on Nin and be a god on either leveling up. Either are good for salvage and ZNMs, you'll get more out of MNK though.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Mnk w/o h2h merits =
    only job that gets more base dmg with the merits. Would be rather important. I'd choose a different melee class.

As I beavered away...
    BG Level

Or just drop the parrying and evasion merits.

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda
    Mnk w/o h2h merits =
    only job that gets more base dmg with the merits. Would be rather important. I'd choose a different melee class.
    He can drop the evasion merits, then with 4 h2h merits and faith torque he'd break that all-important 290 skill.

Voting MNK for the OP

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

My thoughts are DRK. You have so much gear and money invested into WAR and PLD that a lot of it would carry over to DRK. Work on getting some Homam, you need it for PLD/NIN if you use that anyways, and you can gear up your DRK pretty easily w/ the stuff you have so far. You also have access to a K.club which would make DRK all the better for zerging if you wanted to give that a shot. But thats just my thought because I'm like yourself and have several 75 jobs, (PLD DRK MNK SAM RNG THF) and I know how the constraints on inventory, gil and merits can limit what jobs you can pimp out. Unfortunately DRK won't be easy looking for group, but I soloed mine to 37 on pets and what not, and as long as you make your own PT's it isn't any harder than any other job. But hey thats just my two-cents.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tan
    My thoughts are DRK. You have so much gear and money invested into WAR and PLD that a lot of it would carry over to DRK. Work on getting some Homam, you need it for PLD/NIN if you use that anyways, and you can gear up your DRK pretty easily w/ the stuff you have so far. You also have access to a K.club which would make DRK all the better for zerging if you wanted to give that a shot. But thats just my thought because I'm like yourself and have several 75 jobs, (PLD DRK MNK SAM RNG THF) and I know how the constraints on inventory, gil and merits can limit what jobs you can pimp out. Unfortunately DRK won't be easy looking for group, but I soloed mine to 37 on pets and what not, and as long as you make your own PT's it isn't any harder than any other job. But hey thats just my two-cents.

I would also reiterate on DRK, a number of PLD gear carries over. Also, if you have a decent Limbus group, a lot of DRK af+1 is incredible for WS macro pieces. You can get a pretty good DRK with just Limbus pieces alone.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Sam is great for just about anything, merits, hnm, just about anything endgame, even without gkt merits. Mnk will do less dmg than sam at like all level ranges, and it's only real advantage is in salvage, not to mention you will want h2h merits, not just for the base dmg increase, but you'll need the acc.

I would advise against drk, unless you have or plan on getting a kc to zerg with. I have drk leveled, and great gear for it, but I pretty much never use it, because in any situation where I would want to use drk, I would be better off going war, blu, or drg. Since you already have a merited and geared war, I imagine you might be in the same boat.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Tulun

I would also reiterate on DRK, a number of PLD gear carries over. Also, if you have a decent Limbus group, a lot of DRK af+1 is incredible for WS macro pieces. You can get a pretty good DRK with just Limbus pieces alone.
    Yeah Homam + AF+1 and a few other pieces that you already have and you are set. Not to mention DRK/SAM is pretty fun to merit on w/ a huge haste set. And now theres an easy way to hit a 6 hit w/ the new G.sword Nagerling and you can hit a 6 hit w/ any 528 Scythe simply as /SAM. No I wouldn't say that DRK is an amazing job for events, shit I even wish my DRK's in the LS had other jobs like SAM. But I think in some situations DRK is a fun and worthwhile job, and nothing beats a KC zerg. Even leveling DRK to 72 and getting an OC is pretty damn fun to spam BW SE. Also I know it sounds crazy but DRK/NIN can kite/tank things really well if you have a suitable Enmity + and Haste build. A lot of the new ZNM's have normal movement speed and a DRK/whatever can outkite a lot of jobs if you have W.legs. Stun-> Spam SE/LR and anything else -> keep kiting, rinse and repeat, toss in a few Drains and you are set. I'll just say from my personal experience as a PLD main, my other jobs don't get out much and it seems like you just want a job to goof around with in meripo or what not. If you level MNK you are going to be learning how to count to 11 (yay chiblast) or you get to use your fists, your fists and some more fists on mobs, which isn't very exciting. If you wanted to play mindless meleeing I'm sure you would rather get on your decked out WAR than level a MNK up to 75 just to have its gear sit in your MH.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan
    Sam is great for just about anything, merits, hnm, just about anything endgame, even without gkt merits. Mnk will do less dmg than sam at like all level ranges,
    I don't know what kind of gimp excuses of monks you lv with.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Sam is great for just about anything, merits, hnm, just about anything endgame, even without gkt merits. Mnk will do less dmg than sam at like all level ranges,
    Eh that statement isn't always true as theres a few key levels where MNK will outshine SAM, simply because Raging Fists destroys Tachi: Enpi. But typically a pretty gimp SAM will outdamage a pretty gimp MNK and an amazing SAM and amazing MNK will have a close contest, unless its HNM's and then SAM just destroys any other job.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

No I wouldn't say that DRK is an amazing job for events, shit I even wish my DRK's in the LS had other jobs like SAM.
    SAM just destroys any other job.
    You seem very sure of SAM... DRK is a powerful job in events. Where you don't need a WAR's Provoke and just want damage, even outside of a zerg, it is powerful, no less so than SAM. Plus you have added utility through Stuns etc that SAM does not have.

HNM I cannot comment, but I can't imagine DRK would have much trouble keeping up there either (Souleater usage could be very viable).

I have no idea which job the OP should level, just didn't want SAM debasing my job.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Eh that statement isn't always true as theres a few key levels where MNK will outshine SAM, simply because Raging Fists destroys Tachi: Enpi. But typically a pretty gimp SAM will outdamage a pretty gimp MNK and an amazing SAM and amazing MNK will have a close contest, unless its HNM's and then SAM just destroys any other job.
    Have you guys exped with sams since the 2h update? Pimp mnk vs pimp sam during the level range where sam is still using enpi and mnk has raging fist is close maybe, but even than, I'd be surpised if mnk was ahead in total damage. Enpi isn't bad damage anymore either, it's like the same as sturmwind.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Raen Ryong
    No I wouldn't say that DRK is an amazing job for events, shit I even wish my DRK's in the LS had other jobs like SAM.
    SAM just destroys any other job.
    You seem very sure of SAM... DRK is a powerful job in events. Where you don't need a WAR's Provoke and just want damage, even outside of a zerg, it is powerful, no less so than SAM. Plus you have added utility through Stuns etc that SAM does not have.

HNM I cannot comment, but I can't imagine DRK would have much trouble keeping up there either (Souleater usage could be very viable).

I have no idea which job the OP should level, just didn't want SAM debasing my job.
    Its not debasing your job as its a 75 Job I have also so its my job also. This argument has gone down plenty of times and I think the majority of people will say that SAM destroys most other jobs for the majority of endgame activities. Unfortunately due to diversity of game some of the Job Abilities available to SAM and also the Group 1 and 2 merits they receive just make them blow any other job for NM's and Meripo out of the water. A polearm SAM destroys birds, I break 1800 Pentas w/ good buffs, and I'm spamming typically 2-3 WS depending on when Meditate and Sekkanoki is up every 30s. Thats meripo but typically depending on mob type for NM's you aren't meleeing full time, or if you are you still get beaten by SAM's ability to Self-SC on demand for mages and also free WS every 3:00. Any DRK using Souleater w/o BW is simply going to sponge unless you have a few mages w/ free MP. Then if you look at the Group 1 and 2 merits that SAM can get vs DRK you the discrepency between the two becomes larger, SAM can merit Store TP and Meditate for faster 100% and WS spam. DRK can merit LR duration and effect or SE duration. All three are pretty weak, you gain about 5% more attack total for LR for an entire 30s, which would be 1 WS. For Group 2's SAM can get 29% more damage from the front, which is pretty substantial for TA's or if you are in meripo. They can also merit an ability to give TP to someone else (which I never touched w/ my SAM) or more TP when a Zanshin kicks in. DRK can merit a few insubstantial merits besides Desperate blows which is pretty huge but unfortunately lasts a limited duration. Thats why I feel that SAM is king and I'm sure if you don't believe me find a decked out SAM friend and merit against him or do any other activity and parse.

But getting back to the main point of the OP, I'd still recommend DRK for him since his gear and merits are leaning more towards that type of job. If he had more NIN/MNK/SAM gear I'd say do SAM without a doubt because it is one of the most useful jobs out there.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Have you guys exped with sams since the 2h update? Pimp mnk vs pimp sam during the level range where sam is still using enpi and mnk has raging fist is close maybe, but even than, I'd be surpised if mnk was ahead in total damage. Enpi isn't bad damage anymore either, it's like the same as sturmwind.
    Yes I have. And I've outparsed more times than I've been outparsed. And thats on /nin

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You can't merit LR Duration sadly, that'd be insane <_< in a SC situation SAM may very well be better, but I disagree in saying that it is categorically better than drk in nearly every respect. That would make it overpowered, and people disagree with me when I say it is =p

The extra haste from DB, even when it's only during Last Resort, every 4:10 is crushing and greatly increases your damage; Meditate recast I will agree is very strong, but Store TP just puts your "x hit" build on par with my drk's natural one, so the discrepency isn't so large, at least at merit level.

And I've never lost to a SAM in a parse, and I've meritted with some good ones, albeit no relic SAMs or anything. I don't think DRK is so weak.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

You can't merit LR Duration sadly, that'd be insane <_< in a SC situation SAM may very well be better, but I disagree in saying that it is categorically better than drk in nearly every respect. That would make it overpowered, and people disagree with me when I say it is =p

The extra haste from DB, even when it's only during Last Resort, every 4:10 is crushing and greatly increases your damage; Meditate recast I will agree is very strong, but Store TP just puts your "x hit" build on par with my drk's natural one, so the discrepency isn't so large, at least at merit level.

And I've never lost to a SAM in a parse, and I've meritted with some good ones, albeit no relic SAMs or anything. I don't think DRK is so weak.
    Yeah I meant LR recast was a typo of what I meant. But just to ask you, whats your primary Subjob on DRK? /SAM? And if those SAM's weren't using Polearms on birds in a parse they weren't cutting the mustard.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, /sam. A big problem drk suffers but sam doesn't to such an extent is that /nin kills you offensively.

And no, admittedly they weren't polearm users. The top ones were Haguns.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Yeah, /sam. A big problem drk suffers but sam doesn't to such an extent is that /nin kills you offensively.

And no, admittedly they weren't polearm users. The top ones were Haguns.
    When seigan came out I was so damn happy, finally something that made Third Eye and damage mitigation worthwhile and possible, but yeah like you said DRK kinda gets shafted besides Dread spikes.

Unfortunately theres a lot of wtfHagun Sams out there. If they only used Polearm on birds I see them with random shit gear + Hagun and I , but I'm sure its the same thing w/ you and 99% of the DRK's out there heh.