BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Soulflayers

Does anyone use these? Are they any good? Their low (65) FP amount is kind of shitty but in theory they shouldn't be sleep or dispellable. They're also strong casters with pretty good wses (if you figure out how to trigger them). I want an elemental killer but something that isn't reused to hell. Seeing dark elementals just change places in Diabolo is pretty boring.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Re: Soulflayers

I never messed around with spell casters and I'm having a bit of trouble. Basically, what type of temperment is needed to get it to spam offensive magic and do offensive wses as well? Do they not cast if they are wild or aggressive?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

My Dark Elemental

Guard block parry hold: aspir/drain
    Back off a bit: sleep nuke

I haven't really used any other commands than those two, so with caster types i'd like to hear what you can do with other commands. I hate having him cast aspir

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Dark Engel, the Baha Dark Elemental whore is Very Tame and Very Agressive. It just spams ga nukes and doesn't bother with sleeps/drains etc. I will try to set up my Soulflayer that way and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The caster types that I've seen that lean toward using offensive spells often tend to be referred to by the announcer as some form of "tame" + "aggressive". I'm not sure how the variations of degrees of tame and aggressive affect their spell choice / cast rate though.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ah, gotcha. Gonna need to wait a while for more Soulflayer info cause I started a new one. We were doing Ein and we got the Bhalran chamber, so I asked everyone with a camera to take pics and I managed to get another MAB+15% innate except now with a really cool design. So fucking awesome.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I've seen a few flayers in Pankration, and fought one with my drak elemental, they're kind of a joke unless you get the perfect temperment. My elemental just stunned this dude every time it tried to cast, and ignored it when it casted sleep and drain (its a drak elemental, so yea it doesnt seem to care). The fight was always a draw with the elemental at 100% and the fayer around 50%, seemed fairly resistant to drain which was about the only special thing i saw in the fight.

I'm gonna make a post in the magic pets and temperments and how the perform in the magic user thread. I'll edit and link when i dig it up.

[Edit] Heres the link I said i'd put in here, didnt put it where I had originally intended lol

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I don't see elementals on Bahamut stun. They all just spam -ga or sleep/nuke.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    I don't see elementals on Bahamut stun. They all just spam -ga or sleep/nuke.
    My elemental doesnt have Black Magic Scrolls, so it has a limited supply of nukes, it stuns everything and drains in the off time, and most the time it can go 3minutes with an undead. Its a Draw pet really (east bunnies for breakfast ). Theres a Ram that keeps kicking my ass and i'm not sure how yet, never seen it beat me lol always afk when it happens.

My dark elemental set on tame and extremely defensive with no black magic scrolls casts drain every 10 seconds or so, mixing in aspir if the mob has MP (which is annoying, especially if the mob doesn't even cast but just happens to have MP, but I don't think I can change that). It stuns TP moves and spells with stun or sleep, but it doesn't seem to realize that sleep won't stop a TP move from a Corse. Also, if it stuns a WS or spell with sleep, it immediately defaults to casting drain regardless of the internal timer for the spell, which is funny on Niv's ghost because he just spams it nonstop 2-4 times until he sneaks in a melee hit to wake it up since the drains have no effect and it stays asleep. Of the common champs in Diablo, I can dethrone the sneak-attack Whirl Claws Ule rabbit and the superdef mimic, I can play the sleep-nuking Corse to a draw consistently, but I lose to VZX's enlight chigoe.

My soulflayer Seems decent. It responds to "Give it a little more bite" with it's blind+Bio move, and it's self buff MAB/MDB WS to defensive commands. Soulflayer are highly resistant to water DMG naturally. As I recall at lv20 or so a lv50 Dark Ele cast Waterga 2 for 15DMG with no form of buff on my Soulflayer. Sadly no Mind Blast from what I see.

I would think it would be very nice if it could get innate Auto Ice Spikes. Can Auto Spikes be gotten? Mine had no Innate.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I fought a flayer today that nearly one-shotted my dark-ele with an aga2 lol, so they can be pretty powerful. I would guess you'd need black mage traits and/or some MAB to make it happen.

If you're just lookin for a ele killer, anything that side-attacks and has levelable en-light can go to town on them. Bonus points if they use the spell stun or a stun tp move to interrupt those nukes too.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

My flayer can beat a dark ele.. sometimes. Other times it decides to cast dot and drain/sleeps. What the fuck. Can someone tell me what temeperment works? Even when I tell it to show no mercy it'll cast gay dots when I know it has MP.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kellen Amarian
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

With all this Soulflayer talk, I decided to start up a new one. After about an hour of Repose spamming, I got a pretty good plate for my flayer.

Currently it has this:
    BLM/
    Darkness Resistance Bonus (Innate)
    Magic Attack +15% (Innate)
    Magic Attack Bonus
    Black Magic Scrolls

Planning to add BLM traits as soon as I can get the plate. I've been trying to make it Very Tame/Very Aggressive but it keeps acting odd from fight to fight. Sometimes it'll open with a nuke, and other times it wont cast a thing and it'll just melee. I'm assuming its like that because its still a new pet and such, but I'm hoping for better results later on.

Its been ages since I've done Pankration so any advice on how to make a decent nuker type would be appreciated.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Maybe it doesnt cast because it's trying to cast a spell it doesn't have yet. I noticed it started casting AM when I finally moved it from Very Tame/Extremely Tame so.. each level of tame/aggressive seem to make it do completely different stuff.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kellen Amarian
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

That would make sense, its still just lv15 so I'll keep at it and hope for the best.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It might be trying to cast -ga spells or something.

Well my Soulflayer is a Lv50 BLM
    BLM Traits
    BLM Scrolls
    Stoneskin Lv.50
    Blink Lv.50

No innate, he was just a sucky ZNM side project but I ended up loving it.

Temperament is Extremely Tame Very Aggressive
    Discipline Extremely high.

He does not cast nukes near enough to be effective. Anyone know what command does nukes? x.X He was Extremely aggressive but all that did was make him melee and maybe a Blizzaga1 once a fight. As very aggressive he nukes somewhat more. I have seen Freeze and Blizzaga 2 which do insane DMG considering he has no MAB added besides traits. So if he would nuke reliably he could be very powerful.

The transfer from Very tame to extremely seems to have dropped off his nuke frequency to near nothing and as a BLM he just is not meant to melee so he fricking sucks.

About how many times do you need to use a command to change temperament?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Leonstrife View Post
    Temperament is Extremely Tame Very Aggressive
    Discipline Extremely high.

He does not cast nukes near enough to be effective. Anyone know what command does nukes? x.X He was Extremely aggressive but all that did was make him melee and maybe a Blizzaga1 once a fight. As very aggressive he nukes somewhat more. I have seen Freeze and Blizzaga 2 which do insane DMG considering he has no MAB added besides traits. So if he would nuke reliably he could be very powerful.

The transfer from Very tame to extremely seems to have dropped off his nuke frequency to near nothing and as a BLM he just is not meant to melee so he fricking sucks.
    From my experience, it seems that "extremely" anything (not discipline) should be avoided. Anytime one of my pankration mobs ends up extremely tame and/or aggressive, it does not behave properly in battle at all when left on its own. Try for Very Tame + Very Aggressive or Very Tame + Aggressive and see if your Soul flayer begins acting like you want it.

Thanks! I seemed to see that change also. But how do I make his tame lv lower after it is extremely?

::Edit:: Show No Mercy boosted Aggressiveness back to Extremely