BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Must-have DS games

I'm looking to expand my DS collection, and am looking for recommendations on game that I should definitely add to it. Right now, my collection consists of:

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
    Contra 4
    FFIII
    FFXII: Revenant Wings
    New Super Mario
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

I've already got FFIV on pre-order, and am considering picking up both FFTA:2 and FF:CC. What else should I check out?

House Azazael
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Re: Must-have DS games

The new Advance Wars (well the lastest anyway)

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

Those are all great "involved" games, if you can sit down and spend a decent amount of time playing. Here's some more, with comments.

- The World Ends With You (really good JRPG that makes good use of DS features, see thread about it)
    - Lunar Knights (a more traditional action RPG)
    - Elite Beat Agents (music/beat game with touchscreen)
    - Etrian Odyssey and Etrian Odyssey II (hardcore Wizardry-style dungeon crawl)
    - Advance Wars series and Front Mission DS (turn-based tactical combat, both "modern" games involving mecha or tanks/planes)
    - Ninja Gaiden DS (RAWR CHOPPING NINJAS IN HALF WITH MAH SWORD)
    - Mario & Luigi - Partners in Time (think Super Mario RPG)
    - Super Princess Peach (second only to New Super Mario Bros as far as DS platformers go)
    - Yoshi's Island DS (third on the platformers list, it's NOT a remake of the SNES game, it's entirely new content, just with the same name and basic mechanics)
    - Mario Kart DS (it's Mario Kart, you know what it is and whether you like it or not)
    - Metroid Prime: Hunters (yeah, a FPS on your DS, what the fuck? it's an amazing game, if you can get used to the controls)
    - Ultimate Mortal Kombat and Guilty Gear: Dust Strikers (there's a severe shortage of good 2D fighters, these are as close as you can get)

Special Mention:
    - Jump! Ultimate Stars (I lied, this is *THE* 2D fighter for DS, but due to licensing issues, it'll never ever be released stateside. You can still play it if you can read Japanese, or if you have a Flash cart and the translation patch)

Here are some games that are less involved, but still fun. Most of these are puzzle games or stuff you can save at any time, good for playing in the bathroom or during lunch break, or if you're really a slacker, at work when the boss isn't looking.

- Geometry Wars (Asteroids + better controls and obstacles + the addictiveness of pure crack)
    - Planet Puzzle League (your basic Bejeweled ripoff, but well-done)
    - Puzzle Quest (your *advanced* Bejeweled ripoff, integrates RPG elements and uses Bejeweled-style puzzles for combat)
    - Tetris DS (do I have to explain?)
    - Phoenix Wright series (these arguably belong in both categories, they're graphic novel games, very easy, but fun as hell)
    - Mario Party DS and Warioware Touched (shitloads and shitloads of minigames, mostly involving the stylus)

I could probably come up with more, but I think that's a representative sample.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

^ Instead of Elite Beat Agents, I would recommend the Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan series. Unless you really hate japanese music, it's better than listening to Avril Lavigne and Ashlee Simpson.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Noobta
    ^ Instead of Elite Beat Agents, I would recommend the Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan series. Unless you really hate japanese music, it's better than listening to Avril Lavigne and Ashlee Simpson.
    I'll admit that EBA's music choices kinda suck, but I'm honestly not sure I'd rather play it to JPop. Half the fun is the recognizable music, imo. Either way, options are good.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Meteos and the new Space Invaders

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Viq
    Don't forget Arkanoid

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You can add Professor Layton and the Curious Village to the puzzle/leisure/save-anytime category.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Noobta
    Quote Originally Posted by Viq
    Don't forget Arkanoid
    Arkanoid is great if you can get your hands on the Japanese paddle controller for it. Coincidentally, the paddle also works with the new Space Invaders.

My name is Geno, player of massive amounts of portable games, and I approve just about everything listed in this thread.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I second the world ends with you, like he/she said rea dthe thread one of the best games Ive played in a long time.

To add to List I loved children of mana as well if your lookin for another square RPG.

Every Mana series game that has come after Seiken Densetsu 3 has been a complete and utter disappointment. Sorry.

Once they make a game that incorporates as much difficulty, teamwork, and sheer content, then we'll have something to talk about. Give me a SoM game that I can play online, wifi with my friends, and they can join my save and start right up with one of the characters, without even having to have played through with me to that point.

Fuck yes, that would be one of the best games of all time NEARLY INSTANTLY. Make it playable with the stylus for command input (a la WEWY) and use the control pad and L button for input for movement and other things, and you have an instant classic.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Genosync
    Every Mana series game that has come after Seiken Densetsu 3 has been a complete and utter disappointment. Sorry.

Once they make a game that incorporates as much difficulty, teamwork, and sheer content, then we'll have something to talk about. Give me a SoM game that I can play online, wifi with my friends, and they can join my save and start right up with one of the characters, without even having to have played through with me to that point.

Fuck yes, that would be one of the best games of all time NEARLY INSTANTLY. Make it playable with the stylus for command input (a la WEWY) and use the control pad and L button for input for movement and other things, and you have an instant classic.
    Legend of Mana was pretty good. It was no SD3, but I wouldn't call it a disappointment.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Of what I've bought, I regret the following purchases:

Mario Kart DS - I just don't find these games as much fun on handheld. Sure, there's wifi, but honestly I'd rather just play the carbon copy on Wii or Gamecube or even N64 and buy something else.
    Legend of Mana - I'm not a huge fan of the series to begin with, but this game was SO repetitive, and honestly I've played better games of this dungeon crawler genre.

I don't regret the following:

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time - I'm a sucker for Mario RPGs, the fights are always so fun and the puzzles are enjoyable. 'Nuff said.
    Yoshi's Island DS - If you enjoyed the original, buy it. It plays just like the old game, but with brand spanking new levels and everything.
    Super Mario 64 DS (I Just bs'd that title) - Even if you played the N64 version, this is still worth hitting up. The addition of 3 new characters makes the game feel new (and they switched some of the stars around to compensate), and chances are you haven't played the original since middle school.

Whatever you get, I <3 DS, so enjoy!

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryushii
    Super Mario 64 DS (I Just bs'd that title) - Even if you played the N64 version, this is still worth hitting up. The addition of 3 new characters makes the game feel new (and they switched some of the stars around to compensate), and chances are you haven't played the original since middle school.

Whatever you get, I <3 DS, so enjoy!
    How are the controls on Mario 64 DS? Is it awkward at all using the d-pad in lieu of an analog stick? I remember Mario 64 being the first game (that I played anyway) that seemed tailor-made for analog control (or vice-versa, depending on how you see it), but I can't imagine using a d-pad to control it.

BG Level

You use the touchpad and stylus to move in Mario 64 DS. It takes a bit of getting used to, but actually works pretty well for precise movement.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I fucking suck with the stylus, that sounds really bad for me.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

New recommendation, Soul Bubbles. Game is pretty easy, but I found it really entertaining for some reason.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    I fucking suck with the stylus, that sounds really bad for me.
    You can control Super Mario 64 DS with just the D-Pad and the buttons if you like. I went through the entire game that way.

And I must second Professor Layton and the Curious Village. BUY IT NOW.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Parshias View Post
    You can control Super Mario 64 DS with just the D-Pad and the buttons if you like. I went through the entire game that way.

And I must second Professor Layton and the Curious Village. BUY IT NOW.
    Yeah, the only time I remember using the stylus was for bowser fights