+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem waking up     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Problem waking up

I've been waking up with a terrible headache every morning for the past three weeks regardless of what I eat before I sleep and how I sleep. I've tried no pillows, one pillow, and up to five pillows to stay propped up during the night, in case it was blood running to my head and staying there. I tried staying on one side all night, trying not to bend my neck in weird ways but the headache in the morning is still the same. When I wake up my neck is a bit sore like I slept wrong, but I haven't, and I feel the throbbing pain in my eyes and from the top of the back of my head down to the middle of my neck. Painkillers hardly help. I have to slowly stretch my whole torso before the pain subsides about an hour later. And I have also noticed that I can't crack my neck any more.

This is really starting to bug me, I haven't woken up refreshed in a long time, and I can't get to the doctor for another week. Any suggestions as to what I can do?

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Re: Problem waking up

Probably time to go see a doctor, especially if this is a constantly recurrent propblem.

Obviously a brain tumor.

I should know, I read about them on wikipedia.

Nice knowing you.

Banned.

BG Level

Might need a new bed.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ichikun
    Obviously a brain tumor.
    The thought crossed my mind. I have had cancer once already, would that make me more or less likely to develop another cancer?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

only if some cells still existed from that previous cancer(not fully removed from previous treatments), if it's a new form, it's very hard to prove that you're just more susceptible because you had it before. Everyone's cells divide billions a day, the chance of failed divisions becoming cancerous AND not dying before they can replicate is still super low regardless.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Frostmane

How many hours of sleep have you been getting over the past few days?

the factors (such as smoking or drinking) which caused the first cancer might make you more likely to develop another cancer, or for the first one to re-establish; but those aren't common symptoms of cancer.
    (also you don't say which type of cancer you had before).

it sounds more like a slipped disc for example, or a problem with the muscles in your neck or jaw. it could be related to an exercise program or your occupation (ie. if you sit on an office chair all day and are looking at a monitor or similar).

you should probably take some ibuprofen (or other non-prescription painkiller) until you see the doctor, taking it before you sleep for example.
    don't use 5 pillows, just enough to keep your neck straight, and don't sleep on your front because this will cause you to twist your head to the side.

As far as I know, there are no medical doctors who post here regularly; go see a doctor.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bwelch
    My regular 9 hours, but I'm starting to think it's too much. I go back to school this week so I'm going to try moving it down to 8 or 7 hours to see how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by mikazuki
    (also you don't say which type of cancer you had before).
    Leukemia, found out about it in 2005 and had a bone marrow transplant to get rid of it just 3 moths later.

Quote Originally Posted by mikazuki
    it sounds more like a slipped disc for example, or a problem with the muscles in your neck or jaw. it could be related to an exercise program or your occupation (ie. if you sit on an office chair all day and are looking at a monitor or similar).
    Ah, I forgot to mention that I also have a tight jaw when I wake up lately. This one sounds like the best fit really. I don't exhibit any of the symptoms of a brain tumor other than the headaches. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see if I can get my doctor appointment bumped closer a bit.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Could it be as simple as you're getting dehydrated during your sleep? I sweat a lot at night and I find if I let it get to hot or dry I wake up with a lot of the same symptoms you do.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Really? That makes sense. Never occurred to me before that I hardly drink anything before going to bed. I'll try that tonight.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Brain Aneurysm?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Frostmane

Quote Originally Posted by Avé
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwelch
    My regular 9 hours, but I'm starting to think it's too much. I go back to school this week so I'm going to try moving it down to 8 or 7 hours to see how it works out.
    When I over sleep (say 9 hours and over) I get the same exact symptoms you're getting. My eyes, neck and head hurt. I'd suggest trying to go to sleep a little bit earlier then normal and see how that works out.

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Get Foldger's in your cup. Its the best part of waking up.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Metah
    Get Foldger's in your cup. Its the best part of waking up.
    I'm intrigued.

yah it'll be easy to cut down to 7-8hrs, oversleeping will certainly cause a headache (but not necessarily pain in the jaw and neck).
    the same is true of dehydration - you'll usually get a headache but not so often the other pains, most people keep water by their bed and you should certainly drink some before you sleep (just 150-250ml would be enough). if your mouth is dry when you wake up this is very indicative of dehydration of course.
    if either of those solve your problem you're probably fine - but see the doctor anyway.
    i don't know much about leukemia, your doctor will tell you if it's a concern but this doesn't seem to be the case.

if your jaw reflexively closes tightly, because the muscles are so strong it will cause pain as you described, this can be due to dehydration but also a result of your molars taking up too much space, stress is also a cause but not so much while sleeping.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Here is some really good advice, which the doctor is going to ask about, and also advise.

Get off the computer. Seriously. Take a break. All video games as well.

How many hours are you in front of a monitor? How many hours a week do you play video games on tv/pc? Do you wear glasses? Do you have any sinus history?(infections, allergies, deviated septum?). A/S/L?

Regardless of how much time you spend in front of a monitor or TV, try taking up to an entire week break from it if it isn't something work related. If your appointment is next week, try staying off the computer until then, see what happens.

It's extremely common to develop problems, especially headaches from these sources. It could have nothing to do with the way you sleep. The way your muscles are designed around your cervical spine and lower, it could be posture related. A lot of posture issues also develop from being infront of a monitor as well, so it can come around full circle. Really try taking a day or 2 minimum away from it, might help you a ton.

If it's really hot when you wake up (i.e. if you're waking up at like 3PM) then that's usually a problem. I sleep with the AC on in the summer or I wake up feeling the same, it kinda sucks. It might be the dehydrated thing too

Silly Hat Connoisseur
    BG Level

Things I'd get checked out: eyesight and wisdom teeth.

I get migraines now and then because I'm too scared/cheap/busy to get my wisdom teeth out, and I used to get them because I have an astigmatism and didn't wear glasses & my eye was going crazy trying to correct for it and giving me massive headaches.

Seriously, though, go to your doctor.