Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How to evaluate mage applicants for your endgame linkshell?

What method would you use to evaluate potential applicants to your linkshell, provided that they are one of the following mage jobs:

BLM
    WHM
    RDM
    SCH
    BRD

Would you rely on word of mouth, or use the Cross server applications here?

I personally want to find a foolproof method of testing out mages to see if they've met the LV1-74 criteria on what it really is to be a mage, and if they should be accepted or not i.e. weeding out the bad ones. If some people could add separate inputs, would really like to know them.

One method I was thinking of was:

1. Run a Shrine of Ru'avitau EXP/merit pt. 5 of the same base members, 1 potential member. Merit for ~1 hour. See if they can sustain a chain higher than say, 20. Would make this a higher number if your LS is more "hard core"
    2. Fight Wyverns, Ovniks in Kuftal/Gustav/Grauberg for a select period of time to evaluate their Paralyna/Silena response time.
    3. Put them in tank party for some simple events such as Sky gods/limbus bosses <-
    4. See if they read or subscribe to blue gartr to keep up on things?
    5. See if they have personality issues or may be a threat to the LS through chat. IE: dramatizers, extremely vulgar people/ etc.

Passing say, 80% of this would yield a good chance for letting a mage applicant into the linkshell. What do you guys say?

I've noted that this is very similar to evaluating a potential clan member in the FPS (first person shooter) spectrum, except for MMORPG standpoint.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Re: How to evaluate mage applicants for your endgame linkshell?

In my experiences so far:

If they're a BLM, they're a jerk/moron/both.

Otherwise they're ok.

But yeah, when they're on trial, just toss them in important positions for things that you can either afford to lose to or easily win regardless of if they fuck up.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Aux
    This is one of the most retarded conditions ever. Reading Blue Gartr does not make you a better player. I have a person who will remain nameless in my linkshell that consistently spouts "But Blue Gartr..." while coming off as an annoying person.

I would rather say they should know how to apply what they are reading and know to take it with a grain of salt.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

1. Run a Shrine of Ru'avitau EXP/merit pt. 5 of the same base members, 1 potential member. Merit for ~1 hour. See if they can sustain a chain higher than say, 20. Would make this a higher number if your LS is more "hard core"
    2. Fight Wyverns, Ovniks in Kuftal/Gustav/Grauberg for a select period of time to evaluate their Paralyna/Silena response time.
    3. Put them in tank party for some simple events such as Sky gods/limbus bosses <-
    5. See if they have personality issues or may be a threat to the LS through chat. IE: dramatizers, extremely vulgar people/ etc.
    If I was a leader/group of leaders, and in response to yours above:

1. I don't see the point of sustaining a chain, unless you're farming dios or something? See how they manage doing repetitive tasks, perhaps?
    2. Excellent idea, but I would not let the person know they are being tested on that. Just take them with you. And I think Dahaks in Mt. Z might be a good test too!
    3. Seems fine.
    4. Maybe? I've had people claim they play on PS2 and as a result "I do not have the internet/PC." excuses.
    5. Get a sockpuppet/dummy person to send them a /tell being quite rude perhaps, as a test. This will see how they respond, i.e. get someone to check this person and then send an actual rude tell to the person, perhaps nitpicking where possible "No HQ surcoat? LOL GIMP NOOB!" something like that.

Secondly, start some "major issue" conversations within the LS, i.e. God, PS3vsWiivs360. I've seen some typical Xbox dicks going "halo" on every other line and yet still play this game, see how they react to it.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

One thing we have started doing on applications is requesting people post gear sets. (For example: enfeebling set, enhancing set, nuking set, yada yada.) If people take the time to actually detail their gear, it shows they're willing to put forth effort. With what they list, we can then get a general idea about how much they understand basic game mechanics. We're not looking to see how good of gear people have, more that what they have is being used correctly (EG: we don't want a Chasuble/Turban RDM).

Of course, after the application process, we have a 30-day trial system.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

#1 thing to look for is did they fill out the application fully and correctly. Can they follow the first set of directions they are given?
    #2 thing to look for is who knows them. This removes guesswork and 90% of drama conflicts from the start.

I have never given anyone a pearl if nobody knows anything about them. Dynamis is a fairly nice proving ground for evaluating skills. If you're competent at the job, it is easy to tell if someone else is as well.

I have no idea tbh
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I personally want to find a foolproof method of testing out mages to see if they've met the LV1-74 criteria on what it really is to be a mage,
    Foolproof, not going to happen. And What it really is - what does that matter in the context of your LS? Are you trying to say do they know what a mage is supposed to do? Can probably figure that out by finding what they've merited, and what their total jobs are (SAM, RNG, WAR, BLM with no elemental merits - probably not that into it, for example.... likewise, you probably don't want a BLM RDM WHM PLD with -emn merits tanking your first Odin).

As for the 1-5 thing, most of these - if they are meaningful to your events - will be demonstrated in any reasonable trial - toss them into different roles at different events you'll figure it out naturally.

This is the most important.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I prefer the douche bag test. If they haven't pissed off anyone in the LS already in the first week, then they can stay.

Anyone in this game can be reasonably instructed on anything as long as they listen. Getting people to listen and not be a pighead know-it-all douche bag is the hard part.

Subduer of the Squenix
    BG Level

There is absolutely no foolproof method for judging applicants of any job. You can generally assume that people are on their best behavior and likely kissing your ass if you're in charge of applicants.

There are three things I use to judge applicants:

1) The application itself: A well-written application tells you that the person has a certain base level of intelligence and the ability to follow simple instructions. Barring applications from non-native English speakers this is the first thing to look for.

2) Performance at XP/events: If you are already on the same server as the applicant one of the simplest ways to judge competence is to invite the person to xp. Can a WHM or RDM keep a haste cycle? Are they quick on curing status effects? BLMs can get invited to a manaburn and ask some of your best BLMs for an evaluation. If they are cross server or already accepted as an applicant you can judge their performance at events. Start small and if they perform well at the easier tasks bump them up (e.g. to tank party for WHM RDM BRD or doing a low man manaburn limbus run for BLM or SCH) Again, always make sure that you are paying attention to their performance of have someone you trust to report back to you. Limbus is a nice, easy event that can be low manned in a variety of ways and is often a good testing ground for applicants. But for the love of god don't make anyone merit in sky. That's just cruel and unusual punishment.

3) Personality: This is often the hardest to judge since people are on their best behavior as applicants. It it also arguably the most important. The best player in the world who incurs the wrath of your entire linkshell is NOT a good fit. It's easier to know about personality if the person is on your server and harder if they're not. Background checks will usually tell you only if the person is a grade-A asshole but there's a lot of gray area. When looking at applicants, I assume that whatever you see in terms of personality as an applicant, you can expect to get an exaggerated form of that when they're a member. Do they question leadership as an applicant? You better believe they'll do it more when they're a member. Do they have iffy attendance? In my experience, around 80% of applicants show a decrease in attendance once pearled. Do they have an overinflated ego? Most likely will stay that way, only annoy you and everyone else more.

There are of course exceptions to all of these but in general this is what I feel is most important to take into account.

P.S. Regarding reading BG and/or other forums with linkshell applications. While I would NEVER say that reading or posting on any forum should be taken into account for an application, when I do have applicants who post regularly I always double check their posts to see if they are intelligent/incendiary/funny etc. It's a fair indicator of personality and/or knowledge of the game.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackrose
    This is one of the most retarded conditions ever. Reading Blue Gartr does not make you a better player. I have a person who will remain nameless in my linkshell that consistently spouts "But Blue Gartr..." while coming off as an annoying person.

I would rather say they should know how to apply what they are reading and know to take it with a grain of salt.
    I'm reading BG right now and tell people to merit on NIN with AGI rings!

As for the OP, I'd do a background check on anyone from cross-server. If you don't get positive feedback, I'd reject them without a second thought. As for WHMs/RDMs if they're retarded and can't keep Haste or -nas just kick them later.

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree
    I prefer the douche bag test. If they haven't pissed off anyone in the LS already in the first week, then they can stay.

Anyone in this game can be reasonably instructed on anything as long as they listen. Getting people to listen and not be a pighead know-it-all douche bag is the hard part.
    This is a rather ambiguous way to judge someone. I pissed off three people in a linkshell I had joined by simply letting one of them know that Dragoon had two native accuracy bonuses. Apparently telling someone that a job is natively more accurate than most others is pretentious.

What I'm trying to say is, you may want be sure that some of your members aren't morons. It doesn't make much sense to jump on someone else for striking the wrong chord on the retarded piano.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuko_Asura
    Quote Originally Posted by ringthree

This is a rather ambiguous way to judge someone. I pissed off three people in a linkshell I had joined by simply letting one of them know that Dragoon had two native accuracy bonuses. Apparently telling someone that a job is natively more accurate than most others is pretentious.

What I'm trying to say is, you may want be sure that some of your members aren't morons. It doesn't make much sense to jump on someone else for striking the wrong chord on the retarded piano.
    maybe you picked the wrong LS to join then :D

lol

Very few people on Asura would disagree with you on that.

Of which linkshell are you a member?

probably yours :O

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Palom
    One thing we have started doing on applications is requesting people post gear sets. (For example: enfeebling set, enhancing set, nuking set, yada yada.) If people take the time to actually detail their gear, it shows they're willing to put forth effort. With what they list, we can then get a general idea about how much they understand basic game mechanics. We're not looking to see how good of gear people have, more that what they have is being used correctly (EG: we don't want a Chasuble/Turban RDM).
    This sounds fine for an already established endgame player moving to another server/linkshell. But what if they are kinda new to endgame and just breaking into it? Like I was when I joined my current LS on WHM?

I didn't really have any gear sets of any note. I swapped gear in for certain spells of course, but I didn't have any decent sets because a lot of those items come from endgame events... which I hadn't done at that point.

He did say that it didn't matter too much about gear selection as long as they had the idea.

I'm pretty sure that a well established LS isn't looking for new endgamers as well. Would probably take well experienced players only and if they were in dire need of a job probably a new endgamer that had good skill.

I mean it's like applying to a company. Are you going to take someone with a vast amount of work experience and great references on their resume or someone without the experience? Though it could be argued probably someone with less experience because of lower pay but that doesnt really matter in FFXI endgame because all new people in an LS start at Square One regardless of application.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Darwinion
    This sounds fine for an already established endgame player moving to another server/linkshell. But what if they are kinda new to endgame and just breaking into it? Like I was when I joined my current LS on WHM?

I didn't really have any gear sets of any note. I swapped gear in for certain spells of course, but I didn't have any decent sets because a lot of those items come from endgame events... which I hadn't done at that point.
    As I said before, it's not "how good" of gear they have, it's that it's being used properly. WHM is one of the easiest jobs to gear off the AH. Nobles, Blessed, Crow gear for Curing (NQ is fine with me); AF for enfeebles, repose, etc.

The process is to see that we don't get dumbasses that proclaim "I know how 2 play my job," yet TP in STR rings and Osode on NIN, for example.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

My Linkshell utilize a pre-trial, which is a two week period in which you can be called upon to rush a mob or attend a scheduled event. In this fashion we test how fast they can get to say, Tiamat or Khimaira and see if they show up on time for a the event they're scheduled to attend. You can see how it works here but you have to register on our forums to get the whole story.

For BLM applicants specifically, we also ask for a Stoneskin set and most applicants tend to send in shots of Elemental, Full damage, and other sets they've devised. I am not a mage nor do I head up the Recruitment for my linkshell so I cannot really go into detail there. We also put them right into the stun chain for mobs that require one (we're willing to eat a Fulmination to know whether or not this player is worth our time) and give them directions as needed (ie. when not up for Stun or next in line, you're nuking as hard as you can be) and see how responsive they are to party and linkshell chat by varying how to we communicate with them.

For RDM, applicants, we require a specialization in with Slow or Paralyze II and/or Phalanx II and a MND set screenshot as well. Also required is full enfeebling merits and /DRK. We like hearing from RDM that low-man stuff and have a good amount of endurance and experience too. If they come with a Refresh piece, we're that much happier.

For WHM, we require /SCH now, full Enhancing Magic skill, and a barspell set. On top of that, we require barspell merits of course. We don't see too many WHM applicants (in fact can't remember the last time we posted an opening for one...).

Experience is a huge bonus for mages in particular. In general though, you can see that some of the pedigree job stuff is what we focus on. From there, one can gauge skill and the like. It's a lot of stuff but a skilled player will always come along, look at those requirements and say to themselves "Well I already had all that anyway". Personality is also a big issue too, the pre-trial usually helps us gauge them and it acts as a way to filter out undesirables that just plain stink.

Overall, Karasu is pretty set on the idea that a merit party, regardless of the fashion, will rarely tell you anything about a player. The only instance I think you can really gauge anything from is a BRD's pull speed. With the new Einherjar changes, that can be important. When the BRD pulls and such can knock off some time here and there, but in general, it still does not really tell you much about the BRD him/herself.

Look for skill first, then merits, then gear, or whatever order, but always place skill first. You won't always be on target, but it's the best foundation you can lay.

It'd have to be a pretty amazing linkshell for me to go through a series of tests. I'd probably draw the line at being instructed to have a stoneskin set too. I've never bothered with one up until now and I've done fine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast