+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FFXI on Xbox 360     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level

FFXI on Xbox 360

I've been playing FFXI on PC for 5 years, but now I'm considering getting it for Xbox 360 as well to dual box my 2 accounts (room gets too hot and noisy with 2 computers on) and have a few questions.

Is the UI really http://youtube.com/watch?v=I4qmwun4x0U this ugly in 720p? It's huge like Xbox, with an annoying centered positioning that blocks even more of the view. I assume there is nothing you can do about it? I'm used to running the overlay in 1440x900 on a much smaller monitor than my HDTV, so it would probably make my eyes bleed for a long time. Are there any other annoyances with the Xbox 360 version I should know about?

Does anyone have any recommendation for a cheap wireless keyboard with good F-keys, numpad and a decent range? Anything similar to laptop keyboards (with numpads) would be good. I prefer low keys and a compact layout. Are there are any compatibility issues with wireless USB keyboards with 360 or FFXI, or will most work without problems?

Any other comments or opinions about the Xbox 360 version is appreciated as well.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Supposedly if you have an HDTV you can change the res of XI, but if you dont itll look like PS2.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Yes, if you've got the HDTV Resolution, it's a lot more like the PC version. The basic version is just like PS2, however, it is a bit smoother.

If you've got the newer XBOX360, you can use the HDMI port or the Y/Pr/Pb component cables to hook the console to your display. The older XBOX360 models (like mine) have to use the Y/Pr/Pb cables or a HD-V Cable (Japan). I use the 2nd option since my TV does not have the Y/Pr/Pb inputs... Works great.

EDIT: The post below mine reminded me of a few things... The XBOX360 does NOT handle large camps well. It grinds down to a slow crawl during Aery camps... the wings of the Darters start to look like block animation. One other complaint about XBOX is the requirement for the game CD to be in the drive. Which, in turn, makes it sound like a jet engine while the game is running. The PS2's are nice and quiet, but I still prefer the resolution on XBOX HD over the PS2 1990's version/type-graphics.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Rammses View Post
    Any other comments or opinions about the Xbox 360 version is appreciated as well.
    The framerate is awful, occasional screen tearing while running in HD, crashes sometimes in crowded areas or while browsing spell/ability menus, and the graphics are somehow a good deal worse. Combined with the inability to use windower macros, I would really suggest NOT getting the 360 version.

And I'd be really surprised if your computer runs hotter/louder than a 360, unless you have a new model or something. My first gen 360 is loud as hell, and I've literally used it to heat a small bedroom when the heater was broken. All my pcs are relatively silent/cool by comparison.

Resident furfag
    BG Level

I thought you had to have a Live account and pay for FFXI monthly if you use the Xbox. I'm not that sure of it though.

I think you'd be much better off running it on the computer x2.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

FFXI does not require a paid XBOX Live paid account. The Silver, basic, free account is all you need to run FFXI...

And another point... You need 1 gamertag for each POL ID you setup on the XBOX360. That's quite freaking annoying.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

To be fair the best thing the 360 brings I think is controls, seems more fluid than PS2. However moving through macros can be a little laggy compared to the PS2.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Thanks for the input.

My main reason for wanting it on the Xbox 360 is that I have my Xbox 360 hooked up in a store room next to mine, playing through the wall with wireless. So the heat/noise from it doesn't bother me at all. It is sad news to hear that FFXI uses that lawn mower of a CD drive full-time though, as it would then bother people sitting outside that room.

If the UI is tolerable, then that's a good enough reason for me to buy it for the Xbox, as the 2008 collection is only $20 more than WotG, which I would have to buy for my other account otherwise. I'll keep my 2nd PC hooked up and just use whichever works best under the circumstances.