+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dia III: dmg per tick     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Dia III: dmg per tick

Only useful topic on dia III I found was
    http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showt...&highlight=dia

That topic goes over the % def down, but says nothing about the dot. Does anyone happen to know the dmg per tick of dia III, and also if it's effected by enfeebling skill level? I don't *think* it is but I'd be pleasantly surprised if I was wrong.

I'm fighting with myself here for either max bio III or max dia III.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I don't know the damage, but I have read many places that it is not affected by anything and is a constant amount. I don't know if increasing merits in Dia III increases the damage but I sincerely doubt it.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    I don't know the damage, but I have read many places that it is not affected by anything and is a constant amount. I don't know if increasing merits in Dia III increases the damage but I sincerely doubt it.
    That's also what I believe Yuri. I'm just curious how comparable the dmg per tick on dia III is to bio III

You could do a test similar to one I did a long while back with Disseverment.

Using TParty, find a lowish-level mob (one where the assumed DoT effect is close to or greater than 1% of max HP, but high enough that the inital damage won't kill). Cast Dia III (or Disseverment or whatever you intend to test on it) and note the % HP immediately after cast. Then, as the HP ticks down, type out the % after each tick. Then backsolve using the % after inital cast for a range of Max HP. Then divide max HP * %HP after initial cast, and divide by the number of ticks it took to die, and that should give you the DoT effect of the spell.

At that point, if you want to be really pedantic, you can try calculating different values in the range of possible max HPs until you find one where at every tick the HP% you saw matches up to that (max HP - initial damage - DoT effect * # of ticks) / max HP, just to ensure you did the calculations properly.

The only thing to be aware of when doing this is that HP% calculated by TParty (and <hpp>, etc) returns floor(100 * current/max) between 1% and 100%, and returns 1% below 1% (rather than 0% when the mob isn't dead). This you need to know when calculating the range of max HP for the mob, and also to be aware at 1% to time how long until it dies, because it might sit at 1% for two ticks (one for 1~2%, and another for 0~1%).

TSwiftie
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Dia 1 is 1 Damage/tic, Dia 2 is 2 Damage/tic, Dia 3 is 3 Damage/tic. The damage/tic was static. I'm fairly certian I confirmed this for myself a while ago on bees when I was messing /w Requiem dots.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

thanks for the tips guys, if its really only 3 dmg per tick thats pretty meh, so its really only worth the defense down. I may try that on some bunnies or something to be sure.

TSwiftie
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yea I just found my test. It only does about 15 damage base, and bees outside gustaberg have 33 HP. It's very easy to test on them. Bio is always going to be better for the dot, but having defense down on a mob is invaluable when you have melee on it.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kirschy View Post
    Yea I just found my test. It only does about 15 damage base, and bees outside gustaberg have 33 HP. It's very easy to test on them. Bio is always going to be better for the dot, but having defense down on a mob is invaluable when you have melee on it.
    Ya the only time I really use rdm is in salvage or low manning/soloing. So I guess the question is 15% def down or 10% def down (dia II) vs. a badass dot.

I think I'm leaning more towards the bio III now. Thanks

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by cdgreguh View Post
    Ya the only time I really use rdm is in salvage or low manning/soloing. So I guess the question is 15% def down or 10% def down (dia II) vs. a badass dot.

I think I'm leaning more towards the bio III now. Thanks
    It isn't really that badass, I believe its equivalent to a Black Mage's Bio II.

bio 2 caps out at 8 damage/tick with 291+ dark magic skill. rdm can't reach this w/o sch iirc, but can easily reach 6 damage a tick with a single piece of drk magic gear or a merit (need 201 to hit 6, rdm base cap is 200. bastards...) cost to cast is 36 mp.

i THINK bio3 was found to cap out at 9 with /sch sub, 8 otherwise. base is 7, and if you put on some gear you can hit 8 iirc. initial spell damage on bio3 is much much higher though. cost to cast is 54 MP.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Bio3 with 5 Merits is great for solo. Lasts a full minute longer then Bio2. Less casts, less MP spent and it does more damage.

Dia3 is for zergs/TPburning(einherjar,etc).
    Bio3 is for most everything else(HNMs,solo,etc).

Personally, I will put 1 Merit into Dia3 just to have it after I finish my 5 Bio3.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spekkio View Post
    bio 2 caps out at 8 damage/tick with 291+ dark magic skill. rdm can't reach this w/o sch iirc, but can easily reach 6 damage a tick with a single piece of drk magic gear or a merit (need 201 to hit 6, rdm base cap is 200. bastards...) cost to cast is 36 mp.

i THINK bio3 was found to cap out at 9 with /sch sub, 8 otherwise. base is 7, and if you put on some gear you can hit 8 iirc. initial spell damage on bio3 is much much higher though. cost to cast is 54 MP.
    211 to reach the next tier, not 200. (edit, had 210 by accident)

Quote Originally Posted by Judai View Post
    Bio3 with 5 Merits is great for solo. Lasts a full minute longer then Bio2. Less casts, less MP spent and it does more damage.

Dia3 is for zergs/TPburning(einherjar,etc).
    Bio3 is for most everything else(HNMs,solo,etc).

Personally, I will put 1 Merit into Dia3 just to have it after I finish my 5 Bio3.
    Bio III lasts 30 seconds longer than Bio II, not a full minute.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Wizerd View Post
    211 to reach the next tier, not 200. (edit, had 210 by accident)

Bio III lasts 30 seconds longer than Bio II, not a full minute.
    hmm, thought bio2 lasted 1m30s but tested it, guess I was wrong. Still, 30s longer is less total casts!

Varies with linkshell strats I suppose, but there isn't a single thing we fight where Bio III would be preferred over even Dia II.

Only thing a RDM in our LS would use it for is solo, but many of the RDM's in the shell don't do it often if at all lately.

Zoot

The choice for me was pretty hard in what to put my merits into, but most of the events we do are melee damage so Dia III really has the most utility. If I never came red mage to events, I would do Bio III. As it is, I don't use Dia III when soloing/duoing/trioing manaburn stuff.

Also! Meant to include this in last post:

IMO putting more than 2 merits into Dia III isn't so much of a good idea. Outside of HNM fights, 99% of the mobs you cast Dia III on won't last longer than 30 seconds to begin with.

If you fight HNMs like every living second in FF and are always on RDM, it might be worth capping but eh, even then I wouldn't put more than like 2-3 or so.

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

(and dia wand increases the DoT of dia spells by 1 )

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin View Post
    IMO putting more than 2 merits into Dia III isn't so much of a good idea. Outside of HNM fights, 99% of the mobs you cast Dia III on won't last longer than 30 seconds to begin with.
    I don't even find putting more than one is worth it, but I love my one merit worth of Dia III. If you're zerging a mob, the extra 5% defense down will make enough difference that it will make up for having to recast it every 30 seconds. A zerged mob shouldn't last more than 2-3 casts; if it does, you're probably better off with Dia II.

There are two other benfits one merit worth of Dia III brings:

1) Sometimes a mob gets a DoT that you don't want to have a DoT for sleeping purposes. One tic of Dia III can overwrite a Dia I, II, Bio I or Bio II and reduce the DoT time to 30 seconds from substantially longer. It's a lot easier to keep an unsleepable mob occupied for 30 seconds rather than the full duration of a Bio or Dia. This has saved my party / alliance more than once.

2) Dia III is good for overwriting Bio II on mobs where you want defense down, and the BLM (or fellow RDM) doesn't understand that Dia is more important than Bio for some mobs (i.e. zerged mobs). Once the Dia III wears off in 30 sec (if you don't need to Dia III), you can recast Dia II.

Pet peeve: BLM's and RDM's, if you've got more than about 3 people beating on a mob, defense down > Attack Down in 95% of situations. The little bit of extra DoT isn't going to make up for the increased damage from your melee.

Bottom line: Don't use Bio on mobs unless you've made a conscious and informed decision whether to use Dia or Bio.

With milk. With love
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin View Post
    Varies with linkshell strats I suppose, but there isn't a single thing we fight where Bio III would be preferred over even Dia II.

Only thing a RDM in our LS would use it for is solo, but many of the RDM's in the shell don't do it often if at all lately.
    Only viable mob I can think of for full-time Bio II/III is Kirin to counteract his auto-regen, since scholar helix spells end up getting resisted outright most of the time on him.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kimiko View Post
    Only viable mob I can think of for full-time Bio II/III is Kirin to counteract his auto-regen, since scholar helix spells end up getting resisted outright most of the time on him.
    If you zerg Kirin like you should be doing, then he will die in less than a minute. 15% defense down will speed up the kill a hell of a lot more than countering his auto-regen with a 160 dmg per minute bio 3.