Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Virothix

Armor enhancement for pets and how do they work?

I am wondering something that I have never really found absolute proof on about the armor that enhances pets, whether it be for dragoon, summoner, beastmaster, or puppetmaster. When you have the pet out and the enhancing armor on when you summoned your pet does the effect stay if you change your gear back, or does the effect leave your pet?

I have seen many reports about the Wyrm Mails effect staying if you summon the wyvern and then change back to a different gear setup, this is true because I wear it before I call out my wyvern and I remember the wyvern double attacking a few times and I didn't have the Wyrm Mail on at the time of my pets double attack. Also since I sub white mage when I do campaigns I swap in my Drachen Armet +1 and wait /wait 1 and put on my Wyrm Armet and it does give me both enchancements of the helms. I am not sure if it is because since the Drachen Armet allows my wyvern to heal when I'm at 50% HP and after I activate the healing breath of the wyvern I switch to the Wyrm Armet which boosts the effect of the breaths itself.

Any and all info concerning these enchancements would be helpful. I plan to test Dragoon and see if they all stay with my wyvern or if only select few enchancements stay.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Moved from Advanced.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

As many DRGs discovered years ago, the subjob trait adding effect of Wyrm Mail takes effect when you call your Wyvern with the Mail on, or zone with the Mail on.

Basically, when your Wyvern is loaded, there's a check to see if the owner has Wyrm Mail on. If it's yes, then the Wyvern receives the DRGs subjob traits. This is simple to test by subbing WHM, calling your Wyvern or zoning with the Mail on, adding Wyvern +HP gear, and watching the Auto Regen trait go to work.

It's also a pain in the ass for things like Campaign since you have to equip the Mail anytime you get ported to or from a Campaign battle if you want to retain the traits.

As for the Helms, i think it's pretty obvious how they work since they actually do different things. The Drn. Armet raises the HP% necessary for triggering Healing Breath and the Wyrm Armet enhances the potency of Healing Breath. Again, this isn't really rocket science to figure out and has been well documented for a long time.

Virothix

Ok first off I knew about those items already since I have had them for a good while, I was just using them as an example, I'm talking about other items I did NOT mention, such as avatar acc/att, wyvern acc and other such items.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Windred Sayna
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Turalyon

Quote Originally Posted by Virothix View Post
    Ok first off I knew about those items already since I have had them for a good while, I was just using them as an example, I'm talking about other items I did NOT mention, such as avatar acc/att, wyvern acc and other such items.
    Like the wyvern acc on af+1 hands? I suppose you could try the relic(+1) legs or hands on a static physical or magic based attack. I'm not sure what you'd use as an example though. Maybe hurricane wing, but I don't fight fafnir to test it out myself and that would require rezonning or resummoning.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Tons of gear falls into this category and a lot of it works differently. Almost all SMN gear that modifies Avatar ACC/ATK works as soon as you macro it in. PUP attachments only take effect upon on the activation of the Maton. DRG gear is a mix of both, the AF/AF+1 legs modify the Wyverns HP immediately, the Mail is only upon Call Wyvern, etc etc. I'm not a BST, but my guess is that they're similar to DRG in this respect.

While i can understand the nature of wanting to know, alot of Pet Modification gear is such crap it doesn't matter how it works. Is it really worth the effort to figure out if something like the +10 Pet DEF on Askar Dirs is instant or not?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Windred Sayna
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Turalyon

Quote Originally Posted by Kkel View Post
    Tons of gear falls into this category and a lot of it works differently. Almost all SMN gear that modifies Avatar ACC/ATK works as soon as you macro it in. PUP attachments only take effect upon on the activation of the Maton. DRG gear is a mix of both, the AF/AF+1 legs modify the Wyverns HP immediately, the Mail is only upon Call Wyvern, etc etc. I'm not a BST, but my guess is that they're similar to DRG in this respect.

While i can understand the nature of wanting to know, alot of Pet Modification gear is such crap it doesn't matter how it works. Is it really worth the effort to figure out if something like the +10 Pet DEF on Askar Dirs is instant or not?
    +10 pet def isn't worth anything, sure. -5% damage taken or more accuracy can be really good if they can stay in effect when you unequip the gear. I highly doubt it, but I haven't seen any proof either way.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The only time i really use pet defense gear is in my idle/skadi macro. Since I'm not meleeing in this set, might as well get a tiny boost.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Any gear that affects your wyvern in ways that you have gear for (such as accuracy, attack, HP, etc) will take effect when you equip it and leave when you unequip it. Anything that affects the job of the pet (such as the mail), or other things that would otherwise affect the role of the pet (puppetmaster attachments) takes effect when the pet loads.

Puppetmaster is a little odd since it sort of has its own equipment menu or whatever, and I don't think you can change any of that while it's out, you have to resummon for it.

The concept is pretty simple though.

Not really saying anything that hasn't been said already, but regarding BST the pet def gear takes effect only when equipped, while the relic gloves need to be worn when you use Call Beast and don't matter otherwise (since they affect the level of the pet).

I'd like to point out that Wyrm Armet effect also comes in handy with an Offensive wyvern
    Many focus thinking only it affects the Healing Breath. I use Ares's Mask for ws then macro in AF2 before Elemental Breath ^_^ Not all the time, like if DB is down/No SC to MB with Breath/Low HP on Wyvern.

Here's a screen of a MB with Wyrm Armet http://www.qlash.net/images/wyvmb.JPG ^^

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

Actually, I heard the +10 def on the goliard legs is actually something like +10%. I heard it via word of mouth, not actual testing though, so it may be worth investigating whether its +10 or +10%. That could help a pet stay alive quite a bit longer.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Slott View Post
    Actually, I heard the +10 def on the goliard legs is actually something like +10%. I heard it via word of mouth, not actual testing though, so it may be worth investigating whether its +10 or +10%. That could help a pet stay alive quite a bit longer.
    I've noticed that when I'm PUP/WHM (and using Goliard Trews for MP+) doing endgame things with Spiritreaver, that it does seem to help with the hits Spiritreaver takes. I haven't quantified it at all, but it definitely seems to help. It's probably worth investigating whether it's +10 or +10%.

Quote Originally Posted by Slott View Post
    Having heard a similar rumor, I asked someone a while back on alla to test whether the Pallas Shield gave def +10 or +10% (trivial to do for a BST with a charmed pet). It gave def+10. That's not the goliard piece of course, but I'm inclined to believe that all the equipment that lists 'Pet: DEF+10' does exactly what it says and gives +10 and not +10% defense.

has the +def on the beast bazubands (sp) ever been confirmed? considering getting a pair for fights where i'm not helping my pet much (read xololololololotl) to let it live just a smidge longer, and if it's 10% like wikia claims, that could be a very significant boost.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kkel View Post
    PUP attachments only take effect upon on the activation of the Maton.
    On the same subject line, if you're using Animator+1, the HP/MP bonuses also take affect upon activation. Same goes for AF Body. Taking them off instantly removes the bonus, however.