+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    so i herd u liek trollin
    BG Level

Why did you start smoking?

So my friend just recently started smoking, and he told me he didn't really know why, he just kind of fell into it.

Bullshit, lol.

I thought I would ask the smokers here:

Why did you start smoking cigarettes?

(I'm not talking about smoking in general, I'm just talking about cigarettes, NOT weed.)

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

To make up for having the personality of a houseplant he started smoking and now he feels more interesting.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Cause all the cool kids did. Honestly.

Have been quit a few years now but I started smoking kind of late on (despite hanging around with the smoker crowd in school I never picked the habit up then - even when there were like 6 people huddled into a school toilet cubicle and 5 of them puffing away). Considering I hung around with the nicotine-fuelled metal heads - I never got any peer pressure to start from them which still surprises me these days.

I started because when I was back at uni doing my teacher training I was bullied quite badly by a clique of girls on the course who were fresh out of uni and I suppose felt threatened by the situation or something and wanted something to do to make themselves feel a bit more secure - so I was getting it in the neck from them a lot. On top of which it was a horrifically stressful course, coupled with the supreme horror of having to move back in and live with my mother for a year - so for a combination of those 3 factors: stress, wanting to piss my mother off big time, and wanting a way to get out of the bullying situation during lecture breaks etc... I joined the cloud of smoke outside the building on a breaktime puffing away.

I think there was also something with me needing something to do with my hands as well - until very recently I was a really bad nail biter, and smoking filled that needing something to do with my hands/mouth in situations while driving niche as well.

Quit because I never wanted to go into school stinking of smoke so couldn't have one on a morning before work, and once my commute to school died down, the car, which was the big place I smoked - wasn't as large a part of my life anymore. The one time I really miss a cig now is social situations where I feel uneasy and it's more of an emotional security blanket then - so I tend to wear a bracelet which I spin round and fiddle with as a substitute.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ysera

I started because I was curious. Hid it from everyone, including my friends.

Then I decided I wanted to be cool, and told everyone/showed everyone.

11 years later I quit. :D

I started smoking to socially bond with my peers at the bus stop. It was freezing winter and it seemed to keep my mind of freezing.

Most people continue smoking to keeps their minds off worries and problems. Then the addiction sets in and the rest is statistics.

I for one quit by using Wellbutrin. Going on 4 years now and even the nightmare of raising a child (3 years old) hasn't caused a relapse.

The psychological part still gives me crazy dreams every once in awhile but early on it was hell.

Smoking is a total waste of life and money no matter how cool you look doing it.

Good luck

Atlasion

I smoked weed for ages and tried one or two cigarettes during that time. I really started smoking when I started going to pubs (before the smoking ban). Mainly cause I was so use to smoking, and obviously couldnt spark up a joint in a pub. Also, smoking felt a lot better whilst drunk.

Quick edit: I quit when the smoking ban came in.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Stress, I just started college and I had a very shitty math class and I was not doing very well and like clockwork I always lit up after that class. I stopped smoking after that year though.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I assume about 95% of the answers are going to be "because the other kids were doing it." I started socially smoking prob for the same reason. :D

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

cuz i started drinking

Zoot

I was in the process of slowly breaking up with a boy I'd been in a two year relationship with. We had just graduated, and I couldn't find any good reason to break his heart. The guy was perfect, perfectly boring. I was a stupid kid and didn't realize what I had back then.

I lived with roommates who smoked, five of them. I'd join them outside to talk in the evening, or after lunch, when they'd be out smoking in a sort of social gathering. My boyfriend and I got into an argument one night, and as a joke my roommate offered me a cigarette. He said, "You aren't going to take that." So of course I did.

I told myself I would quit by 21. I almost did, but got dragged back in by an offer of a pack of my favorites that were out of production. When I quit again, last year, it was cold turkey.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I didn't? Thanks for asking though.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

who are you talking to?

I think my best answer is because it was one of those 'forbidden' things at the time (I was like 14). There's also the whole thing with friends doing it, and I somehow felt like I was missing out on something. Don't even wanna get started on how I was getting them/how I got caught with a drawer full in my dresser. It sure doesn't help that everyone in my household has smoked since I can remember. I think I got Tyche to start smoking in college because I used it as a stress reliever, and yeah just about everybody wants one of those in that time of life. Been wanting to quit since there's not so much stress lately but I just haven't figured out how I'd like to go about doing it yet.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Everyone I hung out with smoked, so I took it up too. I was young and stupid. Wound up addicted to the damn things. Quit 8 years later and have had 0 desire to ever have one again. As a matter of fact, the stench from them is repulsive to me now.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    E'jusana Rhea
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

when i used to smoke, i think it too started when i started going out to pubs lol. used to get drunk and random people handing ciggies to random people, i didnt smoke much regularly (like 1 a day was enough)it was more of a thing i did when i was out socially. until i moved into a flat with 2 other smokers and i think i chain smoked for a good 6 months or so lol... then just randomly gave it up one day (well not quite so random, i was poor >.>)
    only smoked like maybe 10 in the past ~6 years when ive been super drunk, thats about it

I started smoking hardcore around 15 but stopped after about a year of doing it. Now I only smoke about two or three times a month.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Kind of long story, but funny "because the k00l kids did it":

I broke up with my boyfriend on a Wednesday night, and we both worked at the same movie theatre for quite some time. I had quit, but he still worked there. One Friday night after the theatre had closed a bunch of employees/ex employees were hanging out in the back, and of course he was there. He took a cigarette from someone and started smoking it, and he had never smoked before in his life. I can guarantee it was because he wanted to show off. He looked totally ridiculous and out of place, but my friends and I had a good laugh about it.

Old Merits
    BG Level

basically a girl I liked in college smoked, and she offered me one so I didn't want to look like a bitch so I took it. Then she told me that she felt bad for getting me started and that I wasn't to start buying any but rather I should call her when I wanted one. Served as an excuse to see her regularly. Didn't work out though. We became great friends but nothing ever happened. Managed to quit around 10 years later.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

I started smoking at around 21 when I would go out drinking or at parties (drinking age is 19 here in BC though), mostly because there were cute girls that smoked and especially because during the summer I was 21 I was trying very hard to bag this hot girl from Poland who was the cousing of one of my friends, and liked to smoke quite a bit when she drank. For quite some time I only smoke when I drank or would bum a drag or two off my girlfriend, who smokes as well, but I'll qualify how we are "smokers" later.

Then about two years ago I finished university, was getting a lot more stressed out about money and the work that I was doing and started smoking a bit more frequently - ie. not just at parties or the bar but during the day/night too. I was unemployed for about 4 months over christmas/winter in 2007/2008 and smoked more then, which carried over nicely into the 4 months of work I put in as a carpenter's mate and construction labourer. I've learned that construction sites run on coffee and cigarettes (and meth, crack, heroin, pot, etc. depending on how big and skeezy a commercial site it) so I got used to smoking while I work - something I miss right now since I've just started a new desk job (albeit a really great one).

However, when I say that I'm a "smoker" I say it because yes, I smoke cigarettes on a regular basis. What people don't understand from that is I usually smoke only one or two cigs a day. Depending on if I go out drinking on the weekend, a pack (20) usually lasts me two to three-and-a-half weeks; that's including giving ones away to my gf or friends or whoever, which I do liberally. Every few weeks I take a few days or a week off from smoking, which is quite refreshing, but then I decide to have one because I want to enjoy it.

I can't chain smoke (even though when I'm drunk it takes all my will not to), and anything more than 3 a day makes me feel like complete ass. I have absolutely no clue how people get into a half/full-pack a day habit, I would be so sick if I tried it.

I know I'm going to quit sometime in my 30s, or at least when I have a child, though I may retain it for social purposes. Right now I'm happy with my decision to smoke, and my restraint to keep my bad habbit to a very minimal level. The funny thing is that I think I'm the only person who smokes in my branch, and I never see anyone smoking outside my office. However, being a smoker is a bit of a faux pas in the BC public service but I still enjoy taking a coffee break in the sun with a smoke, or taking 15 minutes to do some writing/brainstorming outside where I may just enjoy a cigarette.

PS: I forgot to mention that I started smoking cigars at special occasions when I was 18/19; something I still very much enjoy