BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Things that would hurt the gilsellers, and the hackers [first draft]

After getting my own account hacked, i had some time to think about what could be done to hurt gilsellers and potential hackers.

Limiting Gil flow from characters

Rather then limit the gil flow from delivery for level 75 players, a system where the sending of and recieving gil is limited according to your level.

For example, between the levels of 1-10, would you *really* expect anyone to get close to 100k? a limit of 100k for characters between 1-10 would stop all those lvl 1 mules the GS use to send GBuyers by a great amount.
    The more you level, the further the limit is pushed, until at 75 where there should ideally be no restriction.

Why no restriction at 75? The STF would have an easier time to track few lvl 75s then thousands of lvl 1 chars that are deleted once the transaction is over with. They would be forced to put most of, if not all of the gil they earn on a single 75 character that could be easily traced and banned.

Crafters, hold on a sec, i didn't forget you. This system would scale with crafter mules as well.
    Depending on how high your skill is in certain crafts, the gil limits would be pushed higher and higher, until there is no cap at 100. Granted this might be a bit annoying for the lowbies but the benefits for endgame outweigh the cons for starters.

Restrictions on item obtainment based on item level
    This ones for the hackers. Basically, in my own hacking incident, i noticed my nin tools were shipped out to a person with no name. This means the character which recieved my items, took them then shipped to another char and deleted the char in question.

Now that got me to thinking, logically a level 1 wouldn't need any elemental tools until say lvl X where nin can actually use them, so why should they be able to obtain it in the first place?

My proposal is to place limits on items based on the characters highest level on that specific character, with a bit of slack so people can buy things in advance so it does not hinder newbies.

For example: What does a lvl 1 need a Pluto's staff for? Seeing that he can't equip it for 50 levels, not much. a lvl 1 can obtain, buy and sell equipment 1-10, a lvl 10 can obtain, buy and sell equipment between 10-20 etc

The main restriction of being a certain level to obtain items would *only* be when you are sending, buying and selling items from different accounts. So technically you would be able to mule your equipment, but your mule would not be able to send it to anyone except you or a valid person whos level meets or exceeds the level requirement for the particular item.

The above manages to restrict hackers to use level 75 characters to receive most valuable equipment, which i doubt most professional hackers would have the time to do, unless they buy multiple accounts, which would cut into thier profits. The individual could be easily traced and the account banned.

Again with crafter mules, if you are able to make the item, you are able to buy, sell, obtain, bazaar and do whatever that you can just like a normal 75 would.

The above methods would significantly thwart most gilselling, and slow down (if not stop) most hackings.

If anyone would like to critique these ideas, please feel free, this is just a rough idea i had today and i wanted to write it down before i forgot D;

Oh one more thing that i would think would be nifty:

Lease
    Ever need Emporers pin or LL boots just for a few weeks while you got your sub done but didn't want to plonk down the hundreds of K in gil which you may or may not have?

Introducing Lease!
    This option would appear below the trade button when targetting a PC character. The Leaser (the main guy with the item you want to borrow essentially) starts the process by targetting the leasee (the guy who wants to borrow said item) and hitting lease.
    A window similar to trade appears, except there is a time limit option that adds days, weeks or months to the lease period. There is also a space where the leaser would input the gil/day cost to the leasee. When both parties accept the lease agreement, they both hit OK and the total gil owed is deducted from the lesee's inventory and added to the leaser. At the end of the lease period, the item simply dissapears from the inventory and is mailed back to the original owner. If your friend simply wants to borrow the item, use lease and simply put the gil/day cost to zero. That way you can avoid the drama of 'omg my best friend who i thought was cool stole my staves'

Comments? Critiques?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Sounds really complicated. Not sure how your 'mule' exception would work, and not sure how stopping people from buying gear ahead of time would stop hackers. The gil restriction sounds pretty silly too, for anyone who's ever 'banked' gil on a mule.

sorry ya got hacked, but none of this would really stop or prevent anything like that >.>:

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Or you could, you know, keep your computers security systems up to date, be generally careful, not give you account info to anyone, and not loan your gear out.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Kkel View Post
    Or you could, you know, keep your computers security systems up to date, be generally careful, not give you account info to anyone, and not loan your gear out.
    ^

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arista Flora
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The Lease idea is really nice.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Aquilla View Post
    Sounds really complicated. Not sure how your 'mule' exception would work, and not sure how stopping people from buying gear ahead of time would stop hackers. The gil restriction sounds pretty silly too, for anyone who's ever 'banked' gil on a mule.

sorry ya got hacked, but none of this would really stop or prevent anything like that >.>:
    Mule exception would only be specific to that characters account. IE: Your account characters, you have free will to do what to ship, to and from mules.

Quote Originally Posted by Kkel View Post

Doesn't help against 1st day attacks though does it? (my case really)

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

I'm not sure why anyone would ever 'lease' gil, or how that would work... The only way I see would be to keep the player from being able to go under that amount, but that kind of defeats the purpose entirely.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by EternityEnd View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone would ever 'lease' gil, or how that would work... The only way I see would be to keep the player from being able to go under that amount, but that kind of defeats the purpose entirely.
    Um, i never meant or said in my post (where gil would be leased, gil would be used as payment for leases), it is strictly for items only

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Interesting ideas in a way, but I believe you're forgetting one very important thing and that's inventory space. With all of the gear/items implemented into the game currently it's hard to find room. The small amount of inventory space available coupled with these changes would make it even more difficult for people especially crafters to play the game. I myself have a few mules that I use to buy gear, sell stuff, etc. would no longer be able to serve their purpose. All of sudden I'd have to scramble and spend more time going back and forth to get gil/gear as would a lot of other people. Especially that level cap stuff that some people hold on to for BCNMs, etc.

Personally I think this would cause SE to lose profit as players would lose the necessity for the various level one mules they use for storing all the misc. crap or for selling things on the AH. Not only that it would eliminate a vast majority of the bazaars found in various zones such as Jeuno, WG, etc.

This is really only a temporary fix or hurdle for the gilsellers to cross, I'm sure they'd find a way around it eventually. The only real way to protect players from being hacked would be implementing various additional ways to protect passwords and account IDs. One thing that surprises me is that SE never has implemented a security question of some kind, but also the account retrieval system is highly flawed. All of this is already known.

Nice way of thinking, but I believe the better way to solve the major issue is by better protecting the accounts from being stolen in the first place and not just slowing down the process it takes RMTs to complete their work. However, it also falls on the owner to find better ways to insure themselves from theft and I don't think the hackers randomly choose any person/account to hack more so they get the accounts they know are vulnerable due to neglegence. If I were to ever get hacked the only person I'd blame is probably myself.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arista Flora
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by EternityEnd View Post
    From my understanding it can do 2 things:
    1. Rent your items to ppl (Set gil cost and time of return). It would be a new concept really, since no1 rents stuff atm.
    2. Lend items to friends, for say an event or a pt (Only set time of return).

With this option ppl won't be able to go back on their words and decide to keep said item.
    Let my friends enjoy my items without worrying about assholes! awesome!
    But if we ask SE for this we'd get the good ol' PS2 limitations!

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudius View Post
    But if we ask SE for this we'd get the good ol' PS2 limitations!
    I've actually always been a little confused by this statement. Are the limitations due to the HDD in the PS2 and it's ability to download new information or something entirely different, such as the way the PS2 is/was programmed?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Deuciont View Post
    I've actually always been a little confused by this statement. Are the limitations due to the HDD in the PS2 and it's ability to download new information or something entirely different, such as the way the PS2 is/was programmed?
    I'd guess both the HDD and it's ability to process things plays into the lolPS2 factor.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Darte View Post
    I'd guess both the HDD and it's ability to process things plays into the lolPS2 factor.
    Yeah I figured as much.

Gave 5$ to bg and all I could think of was this lousy title.
    -____-

BG Level

That system would only profit a handful of people. I wouldn't see it happen anytime soon.

Don't forget that SE said it many, many times because it is the thruth:
    -Protect your PC properly
    -Don't give out your infos
    -Don't buy gils

As long as people don't respect those 3 very simple rules, there is not even a need to find a solution. We're pretty much slapping ourselves in the face.

For example, between the levels of 1-10, would you *really* expect anyone to get close to 100k? a limit of 100k for characters between 1-10 would stop all those lvl 1 mules the GS use to send GBuyers by a great amount.
    The more you level, the further the limit is pushed, until at 75 where there should ideally be no restriction.
    Wouldn't work because gil sellers trade via mules in Jeuno.

This ones for the hackers. Basically, in my own hacking incident, i noticed my nin tools were shipped out to a person with no name. This means the character which recieved my items, took them then shipped to another char and deleted the char in question.

Now that got me to thinking, logically a level 1 wouldn't need any elemental tools until say lvl X where nin can actually use them, so why should they be able to obtain it in the first place?

My proposal is to place limits on items based on the characters highest level on that specific character, with a bit of slack so people can buy things in advance so it does not hinder newbies.

For example: What does a lvl 1 need a Pluto's staff for? Seeing that he can't equip it for 50 levels, not much. a lvl 1 can obtain, buy and sell equipment 1-10, a lvl 10 can obtain, buy and sell equipment between 10-20 etc

The main restriction of being a certain level to obtain items would *only* be when you are sending, buying and selling items from different accounts. So technically you would be able to mule your equipment, but your mule would not be able to send it to anyone except you or a valid person whos level meets or exceeds the level requirement for the particular item.

The above manages to restrict hackers to use level 75 characters to receive most valuable equipment, which i doubt most professional hackers would have the time to do, unless they buy multiple accounts, which would cut into thier profits. The individual could be easily traced and the account banned.

Again with crafter mules, if you are able to make the item, you are able to buy, sell, obtain, bazaar and do whatever that you can just like a normal 75 would.

The above methods would significantly thwart most gilselling, and slow down (if not stop) most hackings.

If anyone would like to critique these ideas, please feel free, this is just a rough idea i had today and i wanted to write it down before i forgot D;
    Wouldn't work because you can't just restrict an account certain items because of its level. I'm pretty sure the scripting it would take to make something that would read your crafting level or job level and not let you hold an item is probably near impossible this far into the game.

SE's advice: take the proper precautions to protect your PC.

My advice: ^

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by Darte

Want to see FFXI finally fall over and die? Institute this plan. At this stage in the game most everyone uses mules to store extra gear because of the limited space we get. Put the above in place and youll see a max exodus out of FFXI. It just makes no sense.

Edit: And further, this is bitchslapping the playerbase yet again because of RMT. I dont support it. My ass is still chapped about the fatigue put in place over chocobo digging because SE outright refused to do any fucking work and ban the RMT diggers. So what happened? Fatigue in place, legit players punished while RMT have the resources to get around it.

Complete failure, all these have been proposed before and shot down. Rightfully so, they were stupid ideas.

Want to know how to hurt the gilsellers? Stop buying gil you fucktards.

Gave 5$ to bg and all I could think of was this lousy title.
    -____-

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    Complete failure, all these have been proposed before and shot down. Rightfully so, they were stupid ideas.

Want to know how to hurt the gilsellers? Stop buying gil you fucktards.
    Arsh, but

Still dont know how to quote specific parts of a post yet with the forum change, so pretend the above is quoted.
    O_________O

If you srsly wanna get technical [QUOTE=Darte;2100383]
    =Darte is the person that posted the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Darte
    ;2100383 is the link to the post. Clicking the little bookish icon next to the name of the person quoted takes you to their post.

i haz a graet idea to stop gil sellurz
    And... That's it?...

It's the same for [ img][/ img] no spaces.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Why do people think they can post things like this and their ideas will get implimented? Fuck off already.