Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Ancient Magic II has Lower Base Magic Accuracy?

I found this really awesome FFXI Guide on vacation (basically its like the Brady Guide, but useful) and ran across some interesting stuff just glancing at it a bit.

http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0348nv7.jpg

Basically, this person tested the magic accuracy of Thunder III, Thunder IV, and a 1 merit Burst II on Steelshells. He used each spell 200 times, then recorded how many resists he got. The results showed that Thunder III and IV had roughly the same accuracy (92.5 / 93.5%), but that Burst II (1 merit) was noticeably less accurate (85%).

I may be missing some things so if anyone wants to run an exact translation that may help. The guide itself is called "FFXI Hunter's Bible" version 2 dated 11/2007.

Ashira

Kaeko.

You're on vacation.

Stop trolling the forums. Sheesh.

:D

I thought this was pretty much accepted on a purely anecdotal basis anyway - it does make quite a bit of sense with the way merits for AMII are set up.

But I know you, what with the needing of proofs and all. ;D

Don't forget to bring me back a present! ;D

WarkeDChocobo
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ashira View Post

I thought this was pretty much accepted on a purely anecdotal basis anyway - it does make quite a bit of sense with the way merits for AMII are set up.
    ^

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Ashira View Post
    Kaeko.

You're on vacation.

Stop trolling the forums. Sheesh.

:D

But I know you, what with the needing of proofs and all. ;D

Don't forget to bring me back a present! ;D

I always avoided using AM2 randomly without ES because I felt it was lower just after using it for a bit. The article seems to imply that adding merits increases the base accuracy, which is one of the major debates BLMs have on NA forums (does the magic attack bonus on merit apply only MB or always on?).

There are a couple of other interesting tests in here like there's one that says using Ice Staff / Aquilo Staff will increase the paralyze proc rate (contracts NA convention, which states that only MND does that).

I'm actually just resting at the hotel right now so I'm sneaking in some internet surfing =P

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

What's the RDM deal lower on the page say? >.>

And the Ice Staff thing may have something to do with partial resists, but paralyze testing sucks.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I thought that MACC for all nukes was lowered as the tier of the spell rose. I remember reading something like this a long time ago. Before AM2 was introduced, I think.
    At 75, it was something like:
    (the numbers are way off, I'm sure.)
    tier 1: 95%
    tier 2: 90%
    tier 3: 87%
    tier 4: 85%

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I'm not sure about nukes, but battlefield elegy seems to have moderately higher accuracy than carnage.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    I'm not sure about nukes, but battlefield elegy seems to have moderately higher accuracy than carnage.
    On a similar note, I can't land Requiem 6 on anything for my fucking life, but 5 seems a bit better.

On a similar note to that similar note, is there a list of some sort of the things, end-game wise, that are actually susceptible to Requiem? I gave up after a while, but for curiosity's sake.. Yeah

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuko_Asura View Post
    On a similar note to that similar note, is there a list of some sort of the things, end-game wise, that are actually susceptible to Requiem? I gave up after a while, but for curiosity's sake.. Yeah
    Ground kings, and salvage mobs/chariots is all I can remember off the top of my head. I haven't tried testing with lower ranks of the spell, but nearly every 75+ nm, including dumb things like quest/mission mobs, seem to be immune or absurdly resistant. And this is with a pretty good enfeebling song gear set, and the requiem +4 instrument.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

First of all, fuck Japan for having printed literature about this game. My level of jealousy and rage is almost unbearable.

Secondly, I definitely felt AMII fully merited was a lot MORE accurate from my limited experience on 75 BLM. Particularly during dual-boxing PLD and BLM on Khimaira - with a lot of Elemental magic skill (like 340 or 350, can't remember exact number) my Blizzard IV would go unresisted about 3 or 4 out of 10 times, fully merited Freeze II would go unresisted about 6 or 7 out of 10 times. I don't know how the merits are setup but if it does have lower base accuracy then I would say it would definitely need to increase past the point of Blizzard IV after 2 merits are added.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

I guess it's time to re-cap blm T2 merits then eh? From a mathematical standpoint is 200 nukes enough? If you (Kaeko) were to do a test of your own would you feel 200 is a sufficient number? I'd love to either see more data on this or help collect more data. I'm curious as to if 20 MACC, the extra 4 merits, will make AMII even to T3 and T4. It sure would be great to know for sure that the MACC is not only on MB! If you setup a test and need help let me know, I'm currently 3/5 Freeze II so it wouldn't take too much effort to cap.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by cdgreguh View Post
    I guess it's time to re-cap blm T2 merits then eh? From a mathematical standpoint is 200 nukes enough? If you (Kaeko) were to do a test of your own would you feel 200 is a sufficient number? I'd love to either see more data on this or help collect more data. I'm curious as to if 20 MACC, the extra 4 merits, will make AMII even to T3 and T4. It sure would be great to know for sure that the MACC is not only on MB! If you setup a test and need help let me know, I'm currently 3/5 Freeze II so it wouldn't take too much effort to cap.
    The +MACC definitely is NOT on just bursts. It says "magic burst damage by 3, and magic accuracy by 5."

lol Van talking about BLM stuff

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Therin View Post
    The +MACC definitely is NOT on just bursts. It says "magic burst damage by 3, and magic accuracy by 5."
    This is an age old debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeko
    "The article seems to imply that adding merits increases the base accuracy, which is one of the major debates BLMs have on NA forums (does the magic attack bonus on merit apply only MB or always on?)."

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Khrno View Post
    lol Van talking about BLM stuff
    I've played BLM a lot, believe it not, dual-boxed one for like 20 Khimairas and some other HNMs, lol.

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

You can run a Z-test (statistical test) or any number of types to tell you if 200 trials is enough. Just eye-balling the numbers though, the % seems to be large enough to show a significant difference not based on randomness.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yet another reason not to free-nuke AMII over tier IV, as if another one was needed. Stop doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Therin View Post
    Seconded. Why this is even up for debate is beyond me, the help text is quite clear. Any German, French, or Japanese-speaker players care to interject?